Jets fan from England with a question

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by UKGangGreen, Mar 30, 2016.

1. UKGangGreen

UKGangGreen Active Member

Hi,

I've been a Jets fan now for 30 years and whilst I love football, I don't watch too much baseball, ice hockey or basketball.

Do Jets fans tend to follow the Mets rather than Yanks? And Islanders over Rangers? What about basketball?

I'm bringing my family over for the Jets/Giants game this year and will probably go to see the Yanks play as well...any tips?

Cheers

Pete

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Jets going with Mets was certainly the case decades ago, but is much less so nowadays (if it exists at all). When I was growing up in the 1960s in Queens the Mets and Jets went together very strongly - they were both new teams, they both played at Shea Stadium and therefore drew heavily from Long Island, and both opposition teams (Yankees and Giants) were viewed as stodgy, conservative, and representing the establishment. This was all solidified when they each won miracle championships within a year of each other. I knew absolutely no one growing up who was a Yankees/Jets fan or a Mets/Giants fan. That started to change when the Yankees got good while the Mets were bad in the mid-1970s, and the Jets moving to New Jersey (and losing a large part of the Long Island connection) in 1984 accelerated it.

I became an Islanders fan when the team was started in 1972 for the same reasons - I wanted to start with the new team, and the Long Island connection. My impression from going to Islanders games (I had season tickets for many years) was that there were more Jets fans than Giants fans, but that again turned around when the Giants started winning Super Bowls in the 1980s.

Since no one outside of north Jersey was a New Jersey Nets fan, the question with respect to basketball was moot. Maybe it could change in Brooklyn, but both teams have been so bad that I doubt anyone cares at this point.

3. UKGangGreen

Thank you that was really helpful...

4. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

While the Jets/Mets, Giants/Yankees divide is not as prevalent as it was in years past as statjeff mentioned, it is still definitely the norm. I went to the Mets world series game 5 this year and watched the end of the Giants game and entire Jets game at McFaddens (a bar at citifield) and the VAST majority of people there were Jets fans. Jets Mets Islanders is still the norm, and that is why even though I am from New Jersey I root for the Islanders. The Devils never interested me as much and I can't root against a team that wears blue and orange and from New York. (I am also a Knicks fan even tho I don't really watch much basketball nowadays, hockey is way more interesting)

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The Yankees are an empty suit, a long ago evil empire that just died in the wind but because of money will continue to hang around. I live in NY and couldn't name their starting lineup.

The Mets will own this town for the next 4-5 years. Will be a wild ride. Rivaling the Mets from 1984-1988.

The Knicks-well I should say Knick fans- are delusional in that they still believe they are a "Tiffany" NBA franchise and that every player will become immortal if they come here and bring NY a championship.

What those fans don't realize is that the Knicks are irrelevant on the NBA horizon and none of those players are Knick fans so they don't give 2 shits about bringing NY a championship.

Someone on the radio the other day said if LeBron ever came here (which he could not give a shit about) and won a championship he'd be greater than Michael.

Yeah, 3 championships would trump Jordan.

Only in the minds of a Knick fan.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. UKGangGreen

OK, so it looks like I should be Jets/Mets/Islanders and Knicks (mainly because I'm relatively delusional also!)

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Pro tip: Watching your team play in the World Series is a whole lot more enjoyable when they win. Pick the Yankees.

Big Cat, FJF and joe like this.
  8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Just out of curiosity how did you become a Jets fan? 30 years is a long time, are you also a Coventry City fan?

I became a Liverpool fan because my grandfather was born and spent his childhood there although I guess technically I could also follow the now relegated Newcastle as my grandmother is from Durham County

9. JStokes

Pro tip.

Watching your team get to the World Series is a whole lot more enjoyable when they, well, actually get there.

Pick the Mets.

_

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

All we need now is a Giant fan offering some more pro points

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am still not over the War of 1812

rohirrim665, FlaJet and donkey like this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Overheard at a Mets home game vs. the NL Colorado Rockies: "Yankees suck!!"
    Overheard at a Mets home game vs. the NL Florida Marlins: "Yankees suck!!"
    Overheard at a Mets home game vs. the NL Pittsburgh Pirates: "Yankees suck!!"
    Overheard at a Mets home game vs. the NL San Diego Padres: "Yankees suck!!"
    Overheard at a Mets home game vs. the NL Cincinnati Reds: "Yankees suck!!"

so, is it gonna be game on or game over?

;)

Yes, enjoy the game.

sidebar: I remember that McDonald's commercial where there's a big tough looking bouncer at the door of a club and there's two guys trying to get in---the bouncer proceeds to tell them that you can't get in unless you're on the VIP guest list....the guy then puts on a Yankee baseball cap and asks him "Are you sure you don't want to reconsider?"--so the bouncer covers his mouth in shame and tells him "I'm so sorry sir, I had no idea" so he lets him in the club.....then the voice over says "Its good to be a Yankee fan." Afterwards, these two women try to flirt their way in the club and the bouncer refuses to let them in....he let the Yankee fans in but not the flirting women. :lol:
    grinned the first time I saw it....hey it's always good to be a Yankee fan,

#12 joe, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  13. JStokes

:D

Overheard at every Ranger game since the 80's:

"POTVIN SUCKS! POTVIN SUCKS!"

_

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I gotta get my hearing checked.....could've sworn they were chanting "Beat your wife Potvin, beat your wife!" *clap clap* ....or was it "Buy a Porsche Hextall, buy a Porsche?"

Actually the "Potvin sucks" is only a one-timer nowadays. What happened was that Rangers fans used the popular "Let's Go Band!" organ snippet as a cue for their "Potvin sucks!" chant. Garden management in response to the chant did away with the organist playing the snippet. No problem: Ranger fans simply took up whistling the notes to "Let's Go Band" and as a result, the "Potvin sucks!" chant remains in a safe place at MSG. :D

"Potvin sucks!" at the 0:17 sec. mark:

The "Potvin sucks" chant stemmed from Rangers fans (fairly or unfairly) blaming Potvin for injuring Ulf Nielsen.

The "Yankees suck" chant .... stems ... from .......an inferiority complex. :mad::confused:o_O