Jets draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 1968jetsfan, Dec 25, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jenkins didn't get anywhere near as much as Snacks, and the Jets released Jenkins before the deadline so as usual, Cimini doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The last 9 times the NFL's top Defense faced the NFL's top Offense in the SB, the team with the top Defense won. When it comes to the SB, Defense wins championships.

So while I agree our Offense needs a ton of love, it's never bad to grab a top D player if he's the best player sitting there at 6.

Peebag and BomberJet like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep

For 15 years we have grabbed Defensive players and I've lost track of all the SB s we made it to

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What were the Offense rankings of those "defensive" teams? Not knowing which teams you're talking about, and not having the time right now to figure it out, I'm curious. I'd be willing to bet that their offenses weren't chopped liver (as the Jets offense is).

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Very misleading. Offense gets you into the playoffs, defense can win in the playoffs. The teams with the best offenses generally MAKE the playoffs. You need to score points during the regular season.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Footballgod214

2 yrs ago it was Denver's offense led by 50 yr old Manning beating the Panthers and their #1 offense led by super man. But it was Denvers Defense that won the game.

See both of the Giants wins. They came in at 9-7 as the 6th WC team, but their Defense knocked Brady and his 18-0 #1 all time NFL Offense on their collective asses.

And just a few weeks ago the NFL's #1 Offense, the greatest show on turf, couldn't score a point in the when it mattered most and got beat in OT.

7. Footballgod214

I agree....a good offense will always be needed. Teams still gotta score points. But offenses aside, the team with the best D almost always wins. SOOOO if a great D guy happens to be sitting there at 6, it's not terrible to take him.

8. There are needs everywhere except DL. Ensure yourself an elite talent & just go BPA...Meaning the highest grade.

The only other method would be addressing QB regardless of the value and/or cost.

grkmanga31 and Peebag like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When was the last time the Saints made the playoffs with Brees?

10. NCJetsfan

I saw some draft "buzz" this morning at the Bleacher Report. Considering the source, take it with a grain of salt, but supposedly Bolles is moving up the draft rankings and may wind up a top 15 pick. He's supposed to be a bit of a freak athlete. He had a rough upbringing, but then found faith and went on a Mormon Mission for 2 years, so is already 24. Ramczyk is supposedly dropping a little. If true, he might be there in the 2nd round for us, and maybe Bolles is the LT to target.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I've seen Ramczyk mocked as high as pick #7. I'll keep my fingers crossed he falls to the 2nd round, for the Jets--that added chip on his shoulder would only make him better.

nicg4360 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'll tell you right now, he will not get past the 20th pick in the first round. I guarantee it!;)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Your truth will never stop my fingers from crossing.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A 24 year old 1st rounder is going to be 29 headed into his second contract. I'm not saying you don't take that guy but you certainly don't take that guy thinking he's going to be a cornerstone of the franchise for a decade because odds are excellent he's dropping out a couple of years into that second contract.

D'Brick was an amazing athlete over a decade for us but he hit 32 and he was gone. That's just the NFL for you in a nutshell. 28 you're in your prime, 30 you're post-prime, 32 you're retired.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I hear ya and I agree. Of course, it would be better if we could draft an LT who will be here for 10 years or more, but with as many needs as we have now, it wouldn't be the worst option imo to take Bolles, and hopefully plug him in for the next 4-6 years (a 4-year contract then extend him for 2-3 more years), then draft another LT. He'll be cheap for the first 4 years, then even if he refused to sign an extension for 2-3 years, the Jets could draft another to replace him, allow him to leave and probably get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him. He also might last to 30 better than Brick, since he wasn't taking a pounding at 21 and 22. I like Ramczyk as a prospect better, but Bolles might be the best we can do in this draft if we take an LT.

16. Br4d

D'Brickashaw Ferguson was an amazing athlete. Extremely low body fat for his size, a great BMI, excellent flexibility, he basically had the entire package going for him which is why he never missed a game or practice in 10 years.

Bolles might be worth taking just to solidify the o-line for 5 or 6 years but he is never going to be the kind of cornerstone that D'Brick was for us.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I think you got it 1/2 right. You want to stock up on a secondary instead of so called pass rushers. You are right about an Offensive Line.

18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

An offensive line is more than just one player and you are only as strong as your weakest link. That being said, it would be wise for the Jets to actually trade down and stock up on more than just one offensive lineman. This is why I think Steve Marshall is so important here. His role in identifying draft prospects and developing them is important to the Jets.

Look one of the Patriots secrets to success is Dante Scarnecchia who is probably the best in the business. Another advantage the Pats may have is Brady's ability to shout out blocking assignments under snap. You can have the greatest offensive lineman in the world, but what good is it if the O line does not work like a good cohesive unit. I should also add that blocking also involves the rest of the offense. How good of blockers do the Jets have in the Running Backs, Receivers, and Tight Ends?

The fact that you folks are talking about offensive lineman instead of franchise quarterbacks is great. Look the Jets once had a franchise QB, remember? Sorry to bring up bad memories but didn't you have a guy named Brett Favre? Show me a good offense, and the first thing I would ask is how good is their line?

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Really tired of hearing this...YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TRADE PARTNER...WHICH IS NOT GUARANTEED.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. Br4d

Favre got hurt at the end of 2008. The Jets were 8-3 after 11 games, with back-to-back wins against the Pats and Titans and 323 points scored after 11 games. Then Favre got hurt and the Jets lost 4 out of 5 down the stretch. The win against the Titans was a 34-13 win against a 10-0 juggernaut in their own stadium.

The Jets offensive line was the best in the NFL that season and I don't mean, might have been the best - it was the best. The Jets not only had Favre performing at a high level during the run they also rushed for 2,004 yards at 4.7 yards an attempt.

The Jets had built that line from 2 #1 picks in 2006 + a UDFA who worked out as a 10 year starter + 2 high-priced free agents signed in 2008 to fill the dropout holes. For a change both of the high-priced free agents produced at a high level and the Jet offense was basically unstoppable until Favre got hurt.

HomeoftheJets likes this.