Jets cuts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

That was part of the plan keeping him under 1000 yds

2. Beki

Beki Active Member

Cutting Wilkerson, Forte and Ijalana is a must. It'd create 18.75M cap space. Don't cut Skrine till we get his replacement.
    At the moment, Overthecap says we have ~78M cap space without this year's cap rollover which is around ~17.2M per NFLPA.

So, we could easily sign any top FA's without any major cuts.

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Robby Anderson isn't a Free Agent, however, they would be wise to get an extension done NOW, before a Cousins or a rookie QB comes in and potentially makes him look better than he really is. Is he a true Number 1 WR? No. But he can be a very good Number 2 and is worth keeping around for the time being.

We all love Enunwa, but what has he really done in his career? He shouldn't be banked on to be anything more than Number 3 WR at this point. Let's see what happens with his neck, with the fact that he had to sit out an entire year, and so on.

There's no reason to be throwing talented WR's like Anderson away when we don't have a lot of depth at the position. Kearse's ceiling is a Number 2 WR and after that it's Stewart, who outside of run blocking brought nothing to the table, and Hansen, who looks like a serviceable back-up.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with Wilkerson, Forté and Ijalana, but think Skrine should go as well. He's awful. Between FA and the Draft, the Jets ought to be able to add two slot corners.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He came on the last few weeks of the season but he had a bad game versus the Pats and his play over the course of the contract has not been great. Problem is if we cut him, and we don't re-sign Mo Claiborne, we'll need to replace both.

Personally, I would cut both, sign Trumaine Johnson in free agency, and then maybe draft a CB.

6. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't have a problem with signing Johnson, I just don't think that any CB is worth $16 million per season. I think Claiborne and a draft pick would be fine if the Jets can add a true, consistent edge rushing threat.

7. grkmanga31

True. I thought he was going to be expensive, but 16+ mil a year is a lot for one CB. He's elite, one of the best in the NFL in his prime though.

Should be interesting but certainly adding edge rusher would help the secondary.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Brian Winters played with a torn abdomen and a torn adductor since week 2. Winters was good in 2016, it makes sense why his play fell off so much this season. He should come back healthy and ready to go in 2018.

Robbie Anderson is one of the best in the league at what he does, taking the top off the defense. He is only going to get better. He's not going to get AB or Odell money either.

Wilkerson and Forte should definitely get the ax at the start of the new season. Wilkerson is a bum and Forte is just old. Easy $14M in cap freed up. I see no reason to cut Burris, a fourth round pick that is on an extremely cheap rookie contract still, no reason to create holes on our team. Skrine is an extremely debatable cut. He was playing out of position all season, he's a slot corner not an outside guy. His fate will depend on who is available in FA and the draft.

Ealy, Davis, ASJ should all be brought back. Claiborne should be considered depending on whether or not we can get him on a team friendly deal due to his injury concern. I'd like to bring back McCown back if we don't land Cousins. If we land Cousins we should target a late round QB.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The $78,989,406 showing on Overthecap does already include the rollover. Made the same mistake myself a few weeks back until it was pointed out to me.

Calculations:
    Cap Space = (Team Salary Cap) – (Active Cap Spending) – (Dead Money)
    Team Salary Cap = (Base Salary Cap) + (Carryover) +/- (Adjustments)

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They're really shallow at CB so they gotta add somebody. Maybe via FA and the draft then at least bring back Claiborne and maybe restructure Skrine for depth on the inside. Won't be surprised to see Skrine back

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

Wouldn't be shocked either because he's on the cheaper side. Either ways, I don't expect both Claiborne and Skrine to both be back. One may come back the other one will surely be looking for a new team.

12. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Either for CB pick someone in the draft or trade up. They are indeed limited.

13. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Well you see my impetuous young friend, if you toss all those players you have to replace them. How do you propose to do that, especially since I suspect you want a better player in each spot. For if you've been watching, you'd know that's not possible with players currently on th roster. So let's hear your plan, okay?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

The Jets FAs are as follows:

Josh McCown, QB
    Morris Claiborne, CB
    Wesley Johnson, C
    Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE
    Demario Davis, ILB

Mike Pennel, NT
    Chandler Catanzaro, K
    Kony Ealy, DE
    Jonotthan Harrison, C
    Bruce Carter, ILB
    Julian Stanford, ILB
    David Bass, OLB
    Terrence Brooks, S
    Chris Gragg, TE
    Ed Stinson, DE
    Dakota Dozier, OG
    Xavier Cooper, DE
    Lawrence Thomas, DE/FB
    Neal Sterling, WR
    Freddie Bishop, OLB
    Brent Qvale, OT/OG
    Rontez Miles, S
    Quincy Enunwa, WR
    Doug Middleton, S
    Chris King, WR
    Eric Tomlinson, TE
    Tre McBride, WR
    Claude Pelon, DE

This list shows that the Jets cannot possibly only re-sign just 2-3 of their own players. The bolded players (5) are starters. Pennel may have been starting some by the end of the season. All three players who can play C are FAs., All the depth at both DE and S are FAs, and if the Jets release Mo, that would leave Williams as the only DE on the roster. The ILB depth would be gone as would the OLB depth. Two of our best STs players would also be gone (Miles and Stanford).

I have italicized the names of the players I think should be re-signed unless there are better players that can be signed in FA to replace them. Even at that, the Jets will need to add two centers via FA and/or the draft. I just don't think that either Johnson or Harrison are worth bringing back. I hope that something can be worked out with ASJ, but I think his asking price now is too high. I wouldn't pay him $6 million per season. I hope that they can add some incentives to the $4 million per season deal that could take his contract as high as $5-$6 million per season if he achieves them. Something like he stays healthy, has at least 40 catches and has 5 TDs. If he makes the Pro Bowl, he gets another bonus.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this list, it makes for interesting reading.

I would hope that we would go for a Centre with one of our two 2nd Round picks. With Nick Mangold in the team, I do think we took the position for granted when its actually one of the most important positions on the Offense.