Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets and LAJet like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is the one time I’m rooting for Manish. He’s making actual football arguments for why McCarthy is a bad choice. Marrone was personal.

almbleamal and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I can't stand Mehta, but we dodged a bullet with Marrone.
    Guy is a horrible coach, and is definitely not someone I'd trust.

That said, McCarthy is not Marrone.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep. Our pal Manish is up to his poison pen tactics again. It worked against Marrone but hopefully Chris Johnson isnt as weakminded as Woody.

5. rockyusmc2003

I hate saying this, but I've forgotten more football than Manish knows. So, it makes me furious to read cherry picked arguments in articles like this. Forgive me, I stopped reading after a paragraph or two.

Manish plucking out a series of plays doesn't really provide a valid argument on McCarthy's overall coaching prowess. There are always variables when it comes to play calling - injuries, defensive analytics based on alignments, field conditions, weather etc. And most commonly, coaches out thinking themselves, that happens plenty and ALL coaches do it. Being that he has 125 wins, I'm sure he's better than a majority of coaches in that department.

NCJetsfan, Cman68 and BacktoQueens like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Manish is too much of a shill to buy into. Unless Harbaugh becomes available, McCarthy is the best HC on the market. I get people like Monken, Rhule and Kingsbury, but those guys are unproven as NFL head coaches. Those are guys I would want as coordinators, but can either of them handle being HC in NYC or developing a young QB?

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sure. He took a terrible 0-13 college program to a bowl in his 3rd year. And the Bucs had one of the best offenses in the NFL this year. He doesn’t run the defense, which is the reason for the poor record. James Winston, in the 2nd half this year, threw for 13 Td and 4 INT, showing the first real progress in what’s been a mediocre career. Ryan Fitzpatrick played the best ball of his career. He did this with a below average OL and absolutely no running game. The only positive thing they had on that side of the ball was the WR. Dirk Koetter called plays for one game and they shit the bed, scoring 3 points. He also has 7 years of NFL experience, more than some of these other offensive experts. He’s the best coaching candidate available.

NCJetsfan, almbleamal and FJF like this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Manish is cherry picking. What about how instrumental McCarthy was in Rodgers development and Favre's revival. Rodgers wasn't NFL ready when he was drafted and McCarthy really did a great job turning him into a top quarterback.

Sure you can nit pick some playcalling decisions but with McCarthy he's called far more of them right than wrong

Is it possible that McCarthy called a right play, only for Rodgers to change it at the line and it being the wrong thing to do? That Rodgers play didn't work out as well as McCarthy's would have?

Time will tell I guess who's right and who's wrong here. As great as Rodgers is, he does strike me as a difficult diva. And those kinds of people are not very truthful

10. forevercursed

Not terrible, but not great either. Pretty average if you ask me. Which would've been an upgrade over Bowles

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. rockyusmc2003

Cool. So was Toilet.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can't watch the video but NBC sports has a report out saying McCarthy is not an option for the Browns.

Edit: Watched video on phone. Florio and and King are saying McCarthy interview with Browns on hold, potentially on a permanent basis.

This was my thought process contrary to conventional logic and discussions -- the Packers regime currently running Cleveland probably want it's own identity than to hire the Packers former coach.

#712 GQMartin, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  13. BroadwayAaron

Which is exactly what we should be doing, especially with one of the best young QBs in the game.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fair.

My contention would be the Jets need to worry about stability and functioning as a blue chip NFL organization before they can worry about adopting an identity.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Why can't you do both?

FJF likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

One can do both, but it isn't easy, and with the Jets doing the picking, it isn't very bloody likely. I have concerns with McCarthy, but don't understand why you're so vehemently opposed to him.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Another one of my concerns with Mccarthy would be him bringing his staff over. I don’t particularly want any part of Joe Philbin and/or Ben McAdoo on our offensive staff.

NCJetsfan and NoodleArm like this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea Mcarthy was conserative in an NFC title game....is his big argument.What his argument lacks is what got them to that title game.I feel like hes the right choice for Sam Darnold....

Cman68 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Which is why the Jets won't hire him...

20. forevercursed

Guess we should've never hired Weeb Ewbank then. Need to establish our own identity. Not poach off the old 50's Colts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.