Will Jets trade down? How many times? With Who? Why? When?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Will Jets trade down? How many times?

1. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, we will trade down once.

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Yes, we will trade down twice.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Yes, we will trade down three times.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. No, we want a QB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we Hooker!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, we want Fournette!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. No, we want Adams!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. No, we want Howard!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. No, we want Lattimore!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone post a thread on the subject, and don't see why not, as this is huge. Reporters around the web and in the press are practically confirming the genuinity regarding a trade between the Jets and the Browns for the number 6 slot in exchange for the 12 slot and at least a second rounder. If the Browns are planning to use the 6th pick on Trubisky .. it could land us more.

Fair compensation for dropping six spots? No doubt, the Jets are angling for the 33rd pick, the first choice in the second round. I'm sure the Browns are resisting. Based on the trade value chart, which many teams use as a guide, the 12th and 33rd picks are worth more than the sixth pick.

The Browns have another pick in the second round, 53rd overall. A swap of the 12th and 53rd picks for the sixth pick is close to even, based on the chart. That is very workable.

Let's be clear: The chart isn't etched in stone. Because a quarterback is involved, the Jets certainly could demand whatever they wish. If another team gets involved and a bidding war develops, the Jets could make a killing.

Trading down to 12 not only positions the Jets to draft a prospect with immediate starter potential, but also for the same reason, makes the 12 slot appealing for a second trade down. The end result of just those two trade downs could very well be 2 additional 2nd round picks and possibly another 3rd rounder. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of Day 2, the Jets made 8 selections. Could we trade down a third time?! IMO, yes, the Jets could very well trade down a third time and still select a starter caliber CB OR TE at the end of round 1. Very possible and the return would be high in terms of pick position vs talent value. 9-10 Day 1 and 2 picks?! That's what I call "expedite the process"!

Give me picks, picks, and more picks!!!

TwoHeadedMonster and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Did you really just make a thread implying a source and then proceed to attach 10 options to a poll?

Royal Tee and Jets69 like this.
  3. Pags2112

LOL .. sorry to ruin your Sunday and yes you counted correctly.

4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

10 options is better than the 15 republican options in the past presidential election ;)

If the browns want 6 they will over pay, #12, 33 and something else, maybe the rights to Josh Gordon or a late round pick.

Catfish Billy and Pags2112 like this.
  5. Pags2112

I like the words "over pay" in this scenario.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

These are the Moneyball Browns. Moneyballers aren't geniuses at evaluating talent, but they won't make stupid trade-ups.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Teams overpay for QB's as a routine course of action in trade ups. By overpay I mean often paying close to twice the value of the pick in question.

The Browns could very well conclude that 12 + 33 is a cheap trade up for a QB compared to what some teams have paid in the past to move up for a QB. Moneyball means getting the best value out of your actions and the 12 + 33 for Trubisky (or Watson) might well be the best value for those 2 picks.

8. Pags2112

Agreed .. Especially if they are getting their guy .. if you look at it like that .. it is cheap. If this particular trade scenario goes down, may Maccagnan dig deep into their pockets!

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

There are reports that Jimmy Haslam wants Trubisky at 1.
    I wonder how the draft changes if that's the Browns pick.

10. Br4d

I'm going to guess a run on overdrafted QB's starting at 3 with the Bears taking somebody and Jamal Adams is sitting there on the 6. I'm assuming SF has to take Garret and guessing that the Bears take Kizer on arm strength concerns for Watson and not ready for a pro set for Mahomes.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Not to burst your bubble but you asked if there were any other threads on this topic. Yes, there were at least 2 threads on this topic posted when this story was reported last Wednesday. But I do commend you on the 10 poll choices. No other thread had that even if they were posted in the correct sub forum.

#11 Noam, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

6th + Richardson = 12+33+(53 or 2nd rd 2018)

Else pick OJH.

13. Br4d

12 + 2018 1st = 6 + Richardson.

That would be sweet.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I chose "Trade down once", but who knows?

At this point I don't think even Macc knows what he'll do because it will be dependent on what the teams ahead of him do, as well as what offers he gets for the 6. But the odds are he'll get an offer and take it. If he wants a QB, I don't see him moving too far back for his first pick, but if he doesn't care about a QB, or feels sure that the guy he wants will be available in a later round, he might well trade down more than once.

NYJetsO12 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Unless the Jets intend to get the Browns 1st next year, the Saints are a more ideal trading partner since pick 32 follows the rules of a first round pick and gives teams a 5th year option on the rookie contract of that pick. That said, trade with whoever is offering the best deal, assumingthat deal meets a minimum threshold of value.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Br4d, NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That would be completely asinine ...Trubisky is the hometown hero and sells tickets Myles Garret is the best player in this draft ?! Hmmm what choice do I make ? LOL

Oh wait...these are the Browns

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would like to see the Jets trade down but I don't believe they will end up doing so

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Br4d

32 would be a sweet spot for a QB pick. 5 years to evaluate plus you're still in the range where the NFL hasn't veto'd the guy as a franchise QB. Maybe a Webb pick there or even a Mahomes if the Jets think they can refine all that raw talent into a workable QB.

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

All this talk of Jets-Browns talking trade is already biting the Jets in the ass. Now st least they he 9ers are strongly suggesting they might take a QB at 2 trying to get the Browns to come up to 2 to get Trubisky.

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

If Browns wanted to use that high of a pick on a QB, they would just use their #1 overall.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.