Jets Brass believe it would be stupid to trade leo (can’t link, at work)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Even a 1st might not be worth it.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You do realize how good he was in a 4-3 alignment at SC, yeah? No?

The point is, he could really flourish under Gregg William's and his scheme.

Why trade him for nothing at this point??

He is young with a ton of upside and wasnt used to his maximum potential under Todd Bowles. I wish someone would break it down honestly because if was one of the many frustrating things I took away from Bowles defensive genius.

Jets aren't wrong, it would be stupid to trade him away for nothing and I highly doubt any team is going to make an offer that remotely makes this a possibility.

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, the other factor not being talked about too much here is how much will he cost them if they keep him?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think they should keep him and see how he does in a system that's presumably more to his skill set. They already have enough holes to fill and he's certainly well above average and young, so why make the rebuild even harder?

That said, if they were blown away by an offer (which I doubt), I would have to weigh that vs. his long term cost.

Red Menace and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My font is bigger than yours.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So I get it now.

Cleaning the house means [cleaning the entire fucking roster as well], eh? Regardless of how inept the scheme they were forced in was, these players should ALSO go, right?

I understand now! I see the light out of the tunnel! I had an epiphany!

LAJet likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well the Jets “ brass “ is correct on this one. His pending FA status aside it would be insanity to dump Williams now that a defensive system that plays to his favor is finally being installed . Let’s see how he does this season. If he still under performs let him walk, save the money, and get a comp pick. If he plays like a former first rounder- which is what I think will happen - then they do what they can to resign him .

Part of building a championship team is keeping your own talent . I’m sure the Jets could fetch a second round pick for him at this point but obviously the unknown can turn out to be a much worse option than the known ....

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it works in madden

Mr mittens likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

No but he does to me!!!He looks like a fat overweight cat that sleeps all day.Chris Johnson would say he is in the best shape of his life...thats how inept the Johnson bloodline is..I wish someone would wipe them out like House Tyrell..

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The article may have read "Jets brass is not giving Leo away so if your interested come with a good deal or don't bother" Everyone is available, outside of Sam, at a price. That said they still value him and will not be selling low. End of thread.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So you’re saying it’s not “strike one”?

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in blaming someone else for another person's problems.

We heard the same excuses when Richardson was here. That's all they are excuses.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

At $14.2 million yes he is.

The dude had 5 sacks in 2018. Three in one game that means he had two sacks in the other 15 games.

What was his sackless game streak in 2018? 8? 9?

He shouldn't be worth anywhere near $14.2 million.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would think you would look at all the factors, not just his sack totals. Sack totals can be telling, but that is never the full story. I really do agree that his production matters and he needs to be held accountable, but I think releasing him now or even trading him would be premature.

It took Cowboys DE Demarcus Lawrence a couple of seasons to "figure it out" and breakout. The Jets and Leo should look at this upcoming season as a prove it kind of season. He will be in a new attacking 4-3 defense (which may well be a much better fit schematically for him) and assuming the Jets add some edge talent, he will have way more 1 on 1 situations. Try to be patient. He isn't a bust by any means. He is still super young and very talented.

#94 PennyandtheJets, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ColoradoContrails and Mr mittens like this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm a big fan of Leonard Williams. He's a good football player. But he's not great and/or has not shown an ability to be great on a game by game/year by year basis. With that said, he's (currently) not worth the money that he'll be demanding on the open market.

16. Alot of things are excuses.This is not.Bowles played a 1 gap 3-4 type scheme which does not work at the NFL level & very few DL fit such a scheme.

Snacks,wilkerson,richardson & williams; not one of them flourished or played well under Bowles.Pepper Johnson himself said Leo was miscast in the scheme

ColoradoContrails and Mr mittens like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Misused. Look beyond the stats, not a very good gauge for how good he is. The scheme Bowles ran, it wasnt designed for the DL to acquire a bunch of sacks.

No. He shouldn't be cut. That's just silly.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Interior, he's gonna be a 3 tech similar to Aaron Donald. Williams is MUCH better suited in a 4-3 defense than he was in Bowles's 3-4

Edit: Fletcher Cox was producing just like Williams was until Pederson got there and they switched to a 4-3 defense, the Jets are in the right here by taking the wait and see approach here.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Would you take a 2nd for Leo and replace him with Sheldon Richardson? Question isn't just for you but for everyone here.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Probably not. Williams still has a chance to be truly dominant and we need dominant players.

NYJFOREVER and 101GangGreen101 like this.