Jets "All Over Mitch Trubisky"?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Article by David Wyatt found at ganggreennation

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/12/14/13959118/report-jets-all-over-unc-qb-mitch-trubisky

Trubisky may or may not be all that and a bag of chips. I don't know what to make of it. In spite of living here in NC, I haven't seen Trubisky play. If he's really that good and the Jets like him, I guess that's a good thing, but I still think Petty could prove to be their QB of the future.

Right now, I hope that this is just a smokescreen, but that other teams picking in the top 5 are salivating about Trusbisky. That will be one more player that may go that high, and could push Myles Garrett down to the #3 spot. I wouldn't be opposed to the Jets trading up from #6 or #5 to #3 to take Garrett, but they probably can't afford to.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No thank you.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Please no, please i hope he gets over drafted

4. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I dont know what all the hype about this guy is, I've only seen him play a few times. He seemed alright but nothing crazy. Is he really that good or is he just a lucky one year starter?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez round 2? Not in favor of drafting one year starters anymore. Sanchez wasn't ready and I doubt this kid is either. He's more developmental than the other two guys we have on the roster.

6. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say lucky. Last year he filled in for a few games and was nearly as impressive then as now. My biggest concern is that the system he runs is pretty QB friendly and his receivers are pretty reliable (although his leading receiver is a pipsqueak-sized target). I like him more than Kizer or Watson. He's far more consistent than either of those guys, but then again Watson has that winner-factor. I'd like him to return to school, in part to see him play some more, hopefully against some great secondaries (one game where he was playing a great secondary this year was plagued by terrible weather so it was hard to see how he'd play against them).

Biggest cons: he sometimes struggles with leading his receiver on deep balls and sometimes throws behind on slants, footwork isn't always there, but when it is he's money in the bank

Boomboom likes this.
  7. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Our qb situation is in shambles. Petty really has not shown that much apart from being a decent backup. If there is any question that Trubisky or Watson could be a franchise qb, then we have to take the chance.

Fact is we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round, which does not necessarily mean that he'll automatically get a chance. Nor is it a big deal if he does not work out. Hack has a very high ceiling and the team took a chance. Fact is that we would have to drastically overpay for any veteran qb. I think Glennon could be good, but I'm worried that he'd require an Osweiler contract and that is way too much of a risk.

I like what I see from Trubisky. I have no idea if he is going to be a good qb in the NFL, but what I do know is that if Gailey is going to be fired, we need a veteran OC and qb coach to develop whoever is the qb next season.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't imagine there being the huge market for Glennon like there was for Osweiler.

I'd imagine Chicago & Cleveland want to draft their own to develop. I doubt Chicago would go after a free agent QB while they develop a draftee as they'd likely just stick with Cutler.

Arizona could be one of the few threats to get Glennon if they're done with Palmer. I'd imagine they give him one more go at it. Buffalo is the only other team I could see drawing interest, but again why wouldn't they just stick with Taylor? Same thing with Kansas City

Everyone else either has an established starter or a youngster that will get at least another season or two like Jacksonville with Bortles.

#8 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...rs-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/
    By: Jason La Canfora

If you scroll down towards the linked article above, he says that the Jets are intrigued by Trubisky. He seems to have strong sources within the front office and Trubisky does seem to to be Mac's style of QB

"The Browns have stockpiled draft picks (again) and will explore multiple quarterback options, and they and the Jets are highly intrigued by North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky, as we first reported months ago. Texans coach Bill O'Brien is a big believer in Garoppolo as well, but he is stuck with Brock Osweiler's salary for another year, and he is planning on giving Tom Savage every opportunity to win that starting job, sources said. Ownership has already declared the need to draft a quarterback."

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Petty too. No way would I want Bisky.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

None of this is a fact, it SEEMS, indicates that it's just speculation. If Mac selects Binski with the 6th pick he should be fired on the spot and they should let some else finish the draft.

NYJFOREVER and blackssmagic like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I haven't really seen him play. He did go into Tallahassee and beat FSU with North Carolina. That's pretty impressive. He will probably be overdrafted though. It's possible it's just smokescreen

13. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I never it was a fact, but this is the second time we've heard Trubisky's name come up in regards to the Jets. And it's not like the front office hasn't leaked their intentions when it has come to drafting QBS in the past. Cimini basically reported a day before round 2 that the Jets had an affinity for Hackenberg.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Fair point, that's why I believe Jets will focus on strengthening team around Hack and Petty, Mac believes he has his QB.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the Jets are using this as a smokescreen to get him taken instead of Watson. But even if he's there at #6, I hope the Jets don;t take him. The only QBs I've seen/read about worth that pick are Watson and Mahomes,

16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I swear if we draft him over over Hooker i won't be able to breath... i will go into shock

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If we draft him at all, I will feel that way, but especially if we draft him over Hooker, Foster, Adams, Howard or Cook.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

1000%

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

"Smokescreen" season already?

20. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I don't think that's fair to Petty. He was thrown in behind one of our worst teams in recent memory - on both sides of the ball. And he actually came out and competed until one of the back-up O/L's pulled his finger from the dyke and he was summarily crushed, and not just once. Nobody has seen Hack beyond some mop-up late in the preseason leading players who were going to get cut against other players facing the same fate.

And frankly, I blame the whole Fitz mess on him and Gailey, whom together caught lightning in a bottle once. So, Fitz was CG's boy and Bowles doesn't know enough about offense to cut that off. The training camp hold out was based on the fact Gailey desperately wanted nobody but Fitz and Fitz knew that. Besides, Gailey is an X's and O's type at best. If he knew anything about bringing a QB along, it would have happened with Fitz in Buffalo. We all know how that played. Or didn't.

Anyway, we're invested in the two kids at this point. I'm okay with going forward with them as opposed to blowing an early top pick hoping for another really unwarranted experiment to miraculously transform the Jets. It ain't gonna happen. Otherwise, a Hoyer or a Glennon as bridge types are the only rational alternatives.