Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Boy we really did screw the Bills over. Wow, I gotta give Macc credit for that.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying they drafted quarterbacks that didn't belong in the NFL. I'd say they drafted 2 projects. One at a decent value but whose ceiling was that of a back up and the other WAY too early.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

One thing I've been trying to figure-- If Allen is going to be the guy, then one has to imagine that we're going to install an offense built around the vertical passing attack, right? Well, if that's the case, aren't McCown and Bridgewater terrible fits for such an offense?

It almost seems like if Allen is going to be the target, we should have brought in a big-armed QB to get things rolling while we try to bring Allen and Hack up to speed over the next year or two. I'll grant you that the only guys available who fit that mold are Geno and Cutler, and they should be role models to nobody....

Maybe there's nothing to be derived from those two guys, because they were signed before the trade--but they were also signed after Cousins was signed.

What do you think? Do they tell us something about the direction the Jets want to go on offense, or were they just the two best QBs who would sign 1-year contracts, thereby holding the Jets to nothing past 2018?

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fair. Little too grandiose on my part.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You are right. Bridgewater and McCown's style of play doesn't seem to match Allen's or the type of QBs Shanahan has worked with in the past. Then again they are on 1 year deals. That's a very good point.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Don't give the Giants good ideas. I think you mean you would draft Barkley #2 to give Eli a great weapon, right? ;)

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Supposedly the Giants will ONLY take a QB if Darnold falls and that's pretty doubtful.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

MCCown is a big armed and big bodied QB.
    He's the perfect mentor for Allen.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

That's what I think also
    Hopefully they don't trade the 2 to Denver. Best case for us is if they take Barkley.
    Would suck seeing them get such a good player but it opens the QB door for us.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is weird and contradicts all the reports

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's impossible to separate fact from fiction in the run up to the draft.

12. Big Cat

Idk what incentive he has to just blatantly lie about that tho

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Everyone is lying about everything this time of year. This has been the case since forever. Teams leak different opinions to different reporters and within a month they love and are not interested in everyone.

Can't take any "inside information" seriously right now. People latch on to what makes sense to them but that in no way makes it right.

14. Big Cat

But what motivates him to say the Jets never called? Wouldn’t saying they turned down their offer drive up the price of the pick? Idk, it get that it’s smokescreen season but that feels weird

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No

16. xxedge72x

No idea. It honestly is confusing if the Jets actually didn't even contact them.

CotcheryFan and Big Cat like this.
  17. xxedge72x

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/3/24/17159034/baker-mayfield-has-fourth-highest-qbase-ever

From a Broncos blog (I don't have ESPN insiders access, can't dig deeper on this):

Baker Mayfield has fourth highest QBASE ever recorded by Football Outsiders
    Stats only matter to point, but when you find a stat that is reasonably accurate in predicting success at the NFL level when looking at the very top and very bottom, it matters.
    By Tim Lynch@TimLynch1978 Mar 24, 2018, 4:45am MDTSHARE
    [​IMG]Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
    The Denver Broncos are still looking into quarterbacks very heavily for the top end of the 2018 NFL Draft, so we continue looking at measurables that might help us figure out which players are likely to find the most success at the next level.

QBASE is one of those measurables. It stands for Quarterback-Adjusted-Stats-and-Experience and was created by Football Outsiders. It has a wide range and though its predictive qualities are a bit of a mixed bag in the middle range of their scores, its quite accurate once you reach the top end and the very bottom of the scoring range.

Here is how QBASE ranked each of the top quarterbacks in this draft class:

1. Baker Mayfield (1480 QBASE)
    2. Lamar Jackson (656 QBASE)
    3. Josh Rosen (623 QBASE)
    4. Sam Darnold (412 QBASE)
    5. Mason Rudolph (343 QBASE)
    6. Luke Falk (277 QBASE)
    7. Kyle Lauletta (273 QBASE)
    8. Josh Allen (-83 QBASE)
    As you can see, the middle range seems to be between 200-500 and the quality first round products are above 600. According to this measurable anyway.

Why does it matter?

Well here are the Top 10 QBASE scores since 1997:

1. Philip Rivers (1,964 QBASE)
    2. Carson Palmer (1,916 QBASE)
    3. Donovan McNabb (1,799 QBASE)
    4. Baker Mayfield (1,480 QBASE)
    5. Russell Wilson (1,288 QBASE)
    6. Peyton Manning (1,279 QBASE)
    7. Marcus Mariota (1,277 QBASE)
    8. Byron Leftwich (1,216 QBASE)
    9. Aaron Rodgers (1,216 QBASE)
    10. Ben Roethlisberger (1,211 QBASE)
    This list is the primary reason I wanted to share this info with Broncos fans. That’s elite company Mayfield has entered. And although I’d be happy with Jackson or Rosen, it’s hard to argue the “safeness” of picking Mayfield considering the group he is joining here.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have Josh Allen who scored a negative QBASE. There have only been 27 quarterbacks drafted in the Top 100 with a negative QBASE and Football Outsiders noted that the two best quarterbacks out of that group was Josh McCown and Brian Griese. They then went on to include others like Mark Sanchez, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Josh Freeman, and Patrick Ramsey.

I’d like to close out mentioning Lamar Jackson again. His QBASE doesn’t even consider his running abilities, so the fact that he is ranked so high shows you how stupid some front offices are in considering him a wide receiver. Some team is going to get great value for Jackson, so good for them.

If you have ESPN Insider, definitely check it out. They dig deep into each of the top quarterbacks and explains how they measured up in their QBASE scores.

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Bah, humbug... stats + metrics don’t matter if they show Baker as the best. I don’t care if he has the least amount of passes tipped, or that he’s the best under pressure, or that he completes the most NFL throws, or that he won more than any other Qb, or that he scored one of the highest wonderlics ever or that he’s the hardest worker, loves a challenge / pressure of playing in NY and is undisputed as the best leader in college...

We need to stop looking at all of this as it clouds what a good qb is. We need to go by looks and the ability to throw for distance. Baker is a 6 foot midget. He’s practically smaller than Russel Wilson, especially if he was 3 inches shorter. I’m not convinced he could throw the ball 70 yards. He might but I’m not sure.

Have you seen Josh Allen (now he’s big! Really big!!) + by far looks more like a prototypical NFL qb and did you know he threw 80 yards at his pro day? He’s got an arm they say is just as good as Jamarcus Russell!!!

Rosen + Darnold are also both... bigger!! Much bigger!!!

Say no to the midget because when you take his tape, stats, interviews, intelligence and workouts out of the equation, he’s really just the 4th best qb in this class.

#1298 SoylentGreen, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I honestly can’t tell if this entire post is sarcasm or not.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member