Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It would be great, but I don't know why the Giants would do that. You either take Rosen or trade out of the pick so someone else can take Rosen and you get extra picks. Still likely end up with Chubb or Nelson. Do what you can to not allow your stadium brothers to get the perfect franchise QB for them. Make them take Allen/Mayfield. On the other hand: If I was the Giants, I couldn't give a shit what the Jets do or who they draft. I am the 4-Time Super Bowl Champion New York Giants, with 2-Time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning at QB. I am pretty sure the Jets think of the Giants much more than the Giants think of the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The trades for Favre and Tebow happened after the Giants won a Super Bowl. Coincidence? I think not. :)

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No, but you illustrate the cardinal concern with this coaching staff; which has been one of my main indictments on Allen all along.

This regime cannot afford a project nor do I think they are capable of molding a project if they have one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"Project" says you.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Allen's statistics are the driving force here.

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I'm kinda terrified about picking Allen. I respect your opinion on these QBs, why should we be optimistic about him if he's our choice?

CBG likes this.
  7. legler82

If college statistics equated to NFL success we would have had a FQB already in Geno. When I watch Allen play, I see a lot more NFL translatable stuff than when I do Mayfield. You have look at a player's skill set and project. Also, in evaluating QBs often times the result is for less important than the process. A TD can be a bad throw just as an INT or incompletion be a good throw.

almbleamal and Jets69 like this.
  8. legler82

-Upside
    -Scheme fit with Bates' Shanahan-based WCO
    -The ability to attack all areas of the field
    -Game plan multiplicity. IF he reaches his potential, this is the kind a guy that can allow you to win in a multitude of ways from ugly defensive field position battles to shootouts. I've seen Wyoming win games on the back of him just grinding out designed 3-5 yards runs. I live in Charlotte so I get to see the Panthers on the regular; Cam's ability to pass and run between the tackles provides all kinds of problems for defenses on 3rd and manageable.

One thing that very interesting about top QBs in this class is that they are all so different. Whoever you pick automatically sets the identity of your offense. It all depends on what you want.

TwoHeadedMonster and Jets69 like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You seem to know how to evaluate QB's. I guess you were never high on Hack?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. legler82

In some weird way the Allen hate is an indictment on this organization and CS. Many distrust of this organization's ability to develop a QB; it's unfathomable to a lot of Jets fans Allen could ever maximize his immense potential in green and white. That's why you'll read posters say things like Allen is perfect for the Browns, Giants, Bills you name it but not the Jets. Ideally, we want a ready made prospect; one the Jets can't screw up.

#1270 legler82, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  11. legler82

Never high but I never thought he was hopeless. I still don't feel that way as he's still very young. The biggest problem with Hack right now is that he still tinkering with his mechanics and footwork. If you are still working on the fundamentals of just throwing the ball at this stage of the game, then you are still a long way from seeing the field. The guy I was never high on was Petty. I find it pointless regardless of the round to draft a guy whose ceiling is that of a back-up.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Legler, I've always appreciated your insights, especially about QBs. to the point where I would more quickly second guess myself before questioning you, but I have to say, when I watched that video of Wyoming vs. C. Michigan, Allen just did not impress me. Yes, he demonstrated the ability to do "3-5-7 step drops, lot's a play action, bootlegs, 1/2 rolls, rollouts and the like" but he wasn't very successful: when he ran out of the pocket he didn't seem to be looking to pass, just run; when he threw on the run his throws were off, even when the receiver did get his hands on it. It seemed like he was locking onto his receivers too. Of course my eye is far less polished than yours an maybe I'm just misreading things, but that's the stuff that worries me - he doesn't seem to process information quickly enough, and while "panic" is too strong a word, maybe "excitable" would be better.

And when all is said and done, I think the deal breaker is that Jets fans will not cut him any slack. The first pass that bounces into the turf will make the back pages with the heading "Hackenstein". Cleveland or Buffalo are much better destinations for him.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Conversely, poor or mediocre collegiate numbers are overwhelmingly an indication of NFL failure. (Let’s say sub 59% completion as one metric.)

I do not view Allen as a generational talent thus being an exception to this trend. This, in conjunction with our franchise’s inability to develop a QB, would lead to a busted pick.

#1273 GQMartin, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  14. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Here is a nice article on the perceived strengths of each in a number of key areas

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...rm-strength-and-everything-to-know-about-qbs/

I still hope that the Jets may have twigged that the Gmen may not go QB and will have their choice outside Darnold

Walt White likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

For whatever reason CBS Sports has a hard-on for Rudolph. Their rankings list him as the best QB in the class. And even the rankings for players of other positions make no sense. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

And why would the fan base feel otherwise?

Either this regime picked two quarterbacks that didn’t belong in the NFL or this regime is responsible for driving two quarterbacks out of the NFL.

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Jets need to hope they get the QB they want at 3. Giants will probably give the Bills the #2 pick for their 2 1st rounders.

The Colts win this trade no matter what. They get 3 more 2nd round picks, and most likely get Chubb, who was gonna be their pick at 3 anyway. For the Jets to win, they need to get their QB for the next 8 years.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Since the Jets set the price at 3, I just don't think Denver will trade even more to get number 2. It just doesn't seem Elways style. And the Bills dont have a pick soon enough for the Giants to get Chubb. If I were the Giants I'd just take Rosen and sit him.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If I were the Giants I would take Allen. He has the highest ceiling and he can sit behind Eli for 2 years. I don't think they will, just saying.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It would cost the Bills a hell of a lot more than the 2 1st rounders for the Bills to get to 2. That assumes the Giants A. Want to trade the pick at all and B. Are willing to give up all their top choices by dropping out of top 10. Neither of which are guaranteed or even likely. Anyway Jets obviously have 3 QBs rated highly, they didn’t go up to 3 six weeks before the draft with just 2 rated highly.

Colts don’t automatically win this trade, they need to hit on some of those picks or it doesn’t matter how many picks they have.