Jets 1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetUp325, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for O.J Howard, but something tells me it will be Jamal Adams, which would still be a solid pick.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just don't get your love for Peppers. He's a DB without much experience who can't turn his head. We've already had one of those. There are at least 4-5 better safety prospects in this draft than Peppers. Peppers would be better on a team like the Pats, Steelers, where they already have a solid team on both sides of the ball, and can afford a luxury pick like Peppers. The Jets cannot.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I'm hoping for Adams, but doubt he'll be there. IMO when taking into consideration his leadership ability, he's the 2nd best player in the draft after Garrett, and would be HUGE in re-shaping the Jets' Defensive attitude.

A trade down and garnering a couple of picks would be my 2nd choice, where I hope the Jets would take one of Barnett, Harris or Mahomes.

Hooker would be my 3rd choice if the Jets are unable to swing a trade down, and Fournette would be my fourth choice in that situation.

boozer32 and richieC like this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Peppers is projected to best fit with a team that is blitz heavy. The Jets were 8th in the NFL in that category last year and when Bowles was DC of Arizona the year before he joined the Jets they were the top blitzing team in the NFL. The Jets were 6th in the NFL at pressure plays in 2015.

Peppers fits this type of team because he's capable of playing safety and nickel corner. He reduces the need for substitutions and increases a teams ability to mask their coverage. His play at linebacker with Michigan also showed he's capable of defending the run and blitzing effectively out of the Nickel. Essentially, he's an X factor on defense and adds a layer of unpredictability that can make a QBs job harder. He's a better player than fantasy football number producer.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

lol..12 to 6 is worth a low 2nd and you want a high 2 and a 1? Oh, and their 12 too?

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I want the jets to trade down early and often especially in the first round. If they stay at 6 I want RB Leonard F. You tell me ONE safety that wants to tackle that guy once he gets a head of steam. The jets have not had a real playmaker at RB for years. Take Leonard and either trade Forte or cut him after June 1. Just watch, however, they will take some generic DB who will end up being like other high pick DBs such as Millner, Pryor and McDougle.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really like Peppers, as I do McCaffrey, but I agree that they'll be more successful on more talented teams that don't need them to be the superstar.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if you don't ask, you don't get. Besides, a lot of other people have posed this scenario as plausible because if the Browns take Garrett as expected, they'll be wanting to grab their FQB next and might well over pay for the chance.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Safeties / OJ Howard ain't on the board trade down. Otherwise I will not trade down and take one of the safeties

FJF likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

That may be true, but in all likelihood, Bowles will not be with the team past this season or next. I don't think the Jets should take a player who is basically a hybrid type who may fit his D, but not someone else's. I have no use for a DB that can't turn his head. We've already had one of those in Kyle Wilson and don't need another. I still think he would be a horrible pick and hope we don't take him.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Forte cannot be cut due to dead money and the Jets need 3 RBs anyway. There would be no cap savings and they'd have a dead money hit of $1 million. That makes no sense.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Deep draft for DB's, if the Jets can get the 33 pick somebody will be there for them. Probably still on the 39 also.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Br4d

This would be a huge win for us. Like a course-altering huge win. 3 for 1 and all likely to be contributors.

boozer32, Imagesrdecieving and cgrec like this.
  14. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Howard/Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey etc all would be great security for any QB that lines up behind center. Im still scratching my head about McCown it has the same dumbfounding effect as Fitzpatrick when we signed him.

As far as secondary Adams/Garrett(Dream)/Hooker/ Tre'Davious White/ Adoree Jackson would be great additions. I can't see why in the draft we can correct the secondary asap.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You would not cut Forte to save money--you would cut him to give Leonard F. playing time. IF the jets draft Leonard F. (a big IF), Bowles would keep him as #3 RB on the depth chart (yes, Bowles is that stupid)-- Remember Fitz and Revis--they stunk all last year but toilet bowl REFUSED to deactivate or bench them--he would do the same with Forte which means our #1 draft pick RB Leonard F. would barely see the field all year. Is it just me and a maybe few others who realize that having old goat McNown handing off to greybeard Forte all year doesn't exactly promote this so-called youth movement/rebuild the jets are supposed to be undertaking? The point is probably moot anyway since the jets are not smart enough to draft Leonard F. anyway--they will either reach for another broken-down DB like Millner or McDougle, or AGAIN take another QB real early who will sit all year behind McNown. Dumb dips.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I understand what your saying I do think Bowles learned from last year. I don't think he makes the same mistake twice. Bench who ever needs to be benched this year.

QUOTE="tomdeb, post: 3567466, member: 1785"]You would not cut Forte to save money--you would cut him to give Leonard F. playing time. IF the jets draft Leonard F. (a big IF), Bowles would keep him as #3 RB on the depth chart (yes, Bowles is that stupid)-- Remember Fitz and Revis--they stunk all last year but toilet bowl REFUSED to deactivate or bench them--he would do the same with Forte which means our #1 draft pick RB Leonard F. would barely see the field all year. Is it just me and a maybe few others who realize that having old goat McNown handing off to greybeard Forte all year doesn't exactly promote this so-called youth movement/rebuild the jets are supposed to be undertaking? The point is probably moot anyway since the jets are not smart enough to draft Leonard F. anyway--they will either reach for another broken-down DB like Millner or McDougle, or AGAIN take another QB real early who will sit all year behind McNown. Dumb dips.[/QUOTE]

17. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

QUOTE="tomdeb, post: 3567466, member: 1785"]You would not cut Forte to save money--you would cut him to give Leonard F. playing time. IF the jets draft Leonard F. (a big IF), Bowles would keep him as #3 RB on the depth chart (yes, Bowles is that stupid)-- Remember Fitz and Revis--they stunk all last year but toilet bowl REFUSED to deactivate or bench them--he would do the same with Forte which means our #1 draft pick RB Leonard F. would barely see the field all year. Is it just me and a maybe few others who realize that having old goat McNown handing off to greybeard Forte all year doesn't exactly promote this so-called youth movement/rebuild the jets are supposed to be undertaking? The point is probably moot anyway since the jets are not smart enough to draft Leonard F. anyway--they will either reach for another broken-down DB like Millner or McDougle, or AGAIN take another QB real early who will sit all year behind McNown. Dumb dips.[/QUOTE]

I understand what your saying I do think Bowles learned from last year. I don't think he makes the same mistake twice. Bench who ever needs to be benched this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Br4d

If the Jets draft Fournette they should put him on a tight carries limit. Dude was hurt last year and you don't want him beat up his rookie season in a losing effort.

I'd limit him to about 10 touches a game and let Forte take at least that many to keep the rookie fresher for another year of the upcoming window. Let Powell be the mainstay back this year if he can handle the carries. He deserves it given his play the last couple of seasons. Have another RB, maybe a late draftee drafted as a gunner for ST's around also so that he can take some carries if either Powell or Forte break down.

This is not an original plan by the way this is pure Al Davis/Mike Shanahan with the Raiders and Shanahan again with the Broncos. Terrell Davis was a 5th round gunner who made it big after injuries cleared a path in front of him. Marcus Allen spent half of his looooong Hall of Fame career complaining that Davis wouldn't give him enough touches. That's how he survived to make the HoF. He got hurt back to back seasons in 1986 and 1987 and Davis started rationing his carries at that point.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

D Day a week from tomorrow ;)

boozer32 and Br4d like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Tom, I wasn't saying that Forte would be cut to save money. I was saying that because of the money situation, he wouldn't be cut. It wouldn't be financially feasible.

Man, I thought I was down on Bowles, but you make me look like a fan! LOL

Fitz and Revis didn't have great young players sitting behind them. Fitz had Geno and two young QBs who hadn't had many practice snaps. They still should have been benched, but I don't see any way that Bowles can be so stupid as to not start Fournette should the Jets draft him at #6. The only way Fournette would not start would be if he wasn't healthy or if he kept whiffing on blocks and getting the QB killed. Bowles would never get another chance at being a HC if he did something that stupid.

tomdeb likes this.