Jet Musings

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Fleming, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Cutting Mawae, a real possibility, is going to hurt this team. They could get a LT to replace Fabini but the whole line needs to be rebuilt and finding a guy to take over for Mawae is going to be next to impossible.

Chad is/was never coming back. Belichick doesn't think much of him and neither does his protege.

Gotta trade down from #4 even if it means giving up Cutler. Too many needs on offense and the secondary to sit at #4 and pay some rook a huge signing bonus.

Still not impressed one iota with this coaching staff.

We gonna be bad for a loooooooooong time, folks.

2. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Replaceing Mawae impossible? He's a finess lineman, infact all the lineman on our OLine are finess linemen. Blow it up, start from scratch on the line, including Mawae.

Ellis

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

So you like the fact that Mangini wants to get rid of Chad but you're not impressed?

4. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I'm as big a Mawae fan as anybody, but the guy is 35 and heading into his 13th year. He's not going to play forever. And plans need to be made for the post-Mawae era at the center position. If the team is rebuilding and Mawae doesn't want to budge with the contract, then it's time to start anew.

5. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Not impressed at all with the staff he's assembled. Not surprised either that he couldn't get great coaches to work for him.

6. JVilma51

JVilma51 Member

i dont think they will cut mawae after cutting kendall and fabini theres no way u can lose every veteran o-linemen and if you do your just plain stupid

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I confess I wrote this under my other forum name

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

WHY?? why is it stupid... we're going to draft all but one new starter. Why is it stupid. What is Mawae going to tell them that the O-line Coach won't. I just don't get what your getting at. You seem to think that Vet Olineman is the end all be all. Both Kendall and Mawae are way past their primes, and have been declining over all the past 3 years. Mawae hasn't been top 5 at his position in quite some time, easily the past 2 to 3 years. I'd rather we get all new guys and let them play, and learn ech others weekness and stregnths as well as THE NEW SYSTEM. Mawae will not be a real help in the new system, he's going to be learning it as well. Goes back to that Old dog New tricks addage. How many new tricks do you think Mawae can handle...

It's ok to let him... trust me

Ellis

9. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

fabini sucks...
    the only one that should be considered of being kept is mawae
    kendall still has talent but is owed a ton...and G is an easier position to fill than T/C
    we can cut all 3 and still form a better line than last years...
    Jones/Goodwin/Kendall/Moore/Fabini...its like a bad dream

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

dude i gotta ask ya this,what could mangini possibly have done in the last 3 weeks to impress you???? youre not impreassed because he wants to cut a 35 year old deteriorating center coming off a torn tricep?mangini might end up as the worst jet coach in history for all i know,but o start knocking him now is simply ridiculous and completely unfounded

11. :lol: Good to see you have a sense of humor,Champ.

12. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Why? its a power distance thing. None of the older coaches are going to put aside their pride to be subservient to some young dude. The only people he could get were young guys who believe in him.

I'm fairly impressed with what we have so far. With another year or two and any success at all we will bring in some good coaches.

13. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I sort of agree with you. I think it is dumb to try to replace 3 OL starters. It will not make the line any better. Lets get one Interior and one Exterior lineman and see how they do and go from there. I'm pretty indifferent to cutting Mawae or Kendall, but I think one should be back at least.

I disagree. You know we will probably have over 10 draft picks? That is a lot. There is not point in trading down to acquire more picks because we have plenty and if we cant find some decent players with the amount we have, we aren't going to do any better with an extra pick or two.

Furthermore, the players available at #4 are potentially elite players and worth the salaries. We need to get some good young players to build around in addition to the few we already have (Vilma, Robertson)

I'd be surprised if we make the playoffs in 3 years, but I don't necessary feel bad. I think this organization is headed in the right direction and we are on the path to being competitive. That will probably mean a couple of crummy seasons, but that means some good draft picks to help us turn it around.

So while I agree with your last point, I feel a lot more optimistically than you do.