Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Here is what I will tell you Brook and FJF might have a better read then me.

The rush hour commute home will be a real bitch. Top it off with the first winter driving of the year (the first one...people react like a child who touches the stove for the first time), and it will be LONG AND SLOW. NEXT...when this comes in..in comes in like a lion. Not a gradual increase. It will start heavy and hard with a mix of sleet and snow for many.

Here is your radar....keep refreshing and looping it. Again....heavy ..it comes in heavy within 20 minutes of the start. Now....where you are in Piscataway, its near the mix line so keep that in mind but still...the next couple hours will go downhill FAST.

RADAR:
    https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DIX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Brook! likes this.
  2. jaywayne12

Looking at the radar Brook...I would wrap up either in the next couple hours....or just wait it out because it will turn to rain/mix down there by rush hour pm. You guys are now less than an hour away...which means within an hour and a half it will be coming down hard my friend.

Brook! likes this.
  3. jaywayne12

Brook! likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

They all have laptops and they can get the job done remotely. Based on what FJF posted below, I will let everybody go after 12:00 pm to avoid the rush hour mess.
    I will keep refreshing the radar. Will send folks home at noon and I will stay long until like 8 pm to avoid traffic and all. I got tons to do anyway.

jaywayne12 and FJF like this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Nice to see you Jay,,,,,,,,FYI schools announced an early dismissal , I got the call an hour or so ago so the kids who just left for school will be home real soon. Its going to be interesting watching this play out as theres a lot of cold air so whatever falls will stick-------I did not crank up the generator but I will in a few minutes as I hope this stays snow but if and when it does turn to freezing rain and ice = some trees still have leaves and that aint good.

Brook! and jaywayne12 like this.
  6. jaywayne12

good move brook..within the hour it will look like a wise move. If not a bit earlier.

Brook! likes this.
  7. jaywayne12

And sleet...you will hear some good old fashion pinging today CBG..miss you buddy!! Send out the bat signal in the future when you see these things popping up....I should have checked earlier...my son text me yesterday and said "any news on the storm dad?" I said..."storm?" lol.....text me in the future CBG..i know you check that crystal ball already this season my friend.

Brook! and CBG like this.
  8. jaywayne12

Looking at the temps above and ground level..um….SLEET...wow...you guys are going to here the pinging of sleet today that will rate with some of the most in the past decade...get ready for periods of sleet...and I mean HEAVY sleet.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

will do ------just a heads up folks much of the guidance had the winds blowing out of the east at this point = that is not the case the winds are currently out of the North East = maybe just maybe this stays MORE snow in areas for a longer period of time ? I think so , thoughts everyone ?

FJF likes this.
  10. jaywayne12

looking at the radar looks like Piscataway is t-minus 1 hour. NYC around 2 hours. CBG country 2 to 2/12 hours. FJF territory about the same. CMAN looks like he is on the doorstep.

11. jaywayne12

doubt it cbg...Ocean temps are still warm even up towards the CAPE where your winds are blowing from now. Still....you might be right. Keep an eye out for when the sleet mixes in...and if it mixes and turns back to snow. That would be a hint of more snow....sleet and snow..then snow.

CBG likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think the Ocean is in the low 50 s at this time PS can you imagine if we had this setup in January ? Me and Fjay would be dancing in the street

FJF likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Last I heard we're getting about 4" starting some time this afternoon. It is nippy out there and you can definitely feel the snow in the air. I love that.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay , Fjay and others,,ps pay attention CMAN----> storm is over performing down South my buddy is in Delaware snowing hard my other buddy in Philly = snowing hard and this just in Winter Stowm Warnings just went up all over the place 4-7 inches expected!!!!

FJF likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

16. jaywayne12

CBG..just sent out the bat signal and checking the NWS update and ummm….wow.

Snow, mainly after 3pm. High near 32. Wind chill values between 20 and 25. East wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
    Tonight
    Snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 10pm, then rain or freezing rain between 10pm and 11pm, then rain after 11pm. Temperature rising to around 35 by 1am. Wind chill values between 20 and 25. Northeast wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
    Friday
    Rain and snow likely before 9am, then a slight chance of rain between 9am and 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Wind chill values between 25 and 35. Northwest wind 8 to 17 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

If my math is correct it went from a total of 2-4 inches this morning to 5 to 9"...the increase is tonight....with additional 3 to 5" on top of today...so you guys keep checking where your totals are around 5pm ...see if you get the 2-4....but looking like this officially the first snow storm of the year....6" or more. checking radar now.

CBG likes this.
  17. jaywayne12

RADAR:
    https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DIX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

NOW THAT YELLOW line running south to north is the sleet line I would guess...and guys...that's like almost a half inch of sleet an hour type stuff riding north. If not home already....time is a running out guys and girls.

EDIT: That is some of the heaviest sleet I have ever seen on a radar....even reds? mixed in....my guess is central Jersey is getting plowed right now with sleet....BROOK? PISCATAWAY?

Brook! likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're getting our asses whalloped out here. Heavy steady snow with sleet starting to mix in.

Brook!, CBG and jaywayne12 like this.
  19. jaywayne12

MAN OH MAN...check this out...check out the feeder....the upper low feeding this thing over Illinois. This is a monster.

UPPER LOW OVER ILLINOIS:
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/northeast-region/weather-radar?play=1

Have to be honest with you....have never quite seen that before...CBG gets the bonus on this one....OVERPERFORMING is the understatement of the year....this thing is going to shock many over the next 8 hours or so.

20. jaywayne12

Yeah CMAN....and you have at least 6 more solid hours of this...at some point sleet will be the primary for you too....looking forward to hearing you say HOLY CRAP...You will get some downpours of sleet too.