Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Living outside of Raleigh, we are pretty much banking on some sort of large event happening due to Flo,
    And the latest model that CBG posted is as direct a hit a city that inward can basically have.

Obviously high winds and storm surge will have an big impact wherever it hits, but a huge area between the coast of NC and Raleigh especially toward the SE of Raleigh is prone to huge amounts of flooding and could be devastating.
    When Matthew hit in 2016, a huge section of road near my house was washed away leaving a giant unpassable crater for almost a year. Between Raleigh and Wilmington Several counties were flooded for months. It hit in early October and I had teacher friends who were still not back in school at Thanksgiving. Matthew hugged the coast up from Florida so it was a different path altogether - but I really do not want to think of what may happen if it stalls and dumps a lot of rain in Mid to SE North Carolina.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Haven't been following much, but read something that if the high pressure area weakens over the Great Lakes we could see something here in NY/NJ? When would that be? Not sure if I want to buy tickets to the Jets opening day game if we are going to be sitting in a hurricane. I already had my rain game experience last year vs Atlanta when I won tickets to go.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good Luck to anyone in the mid-atlantic.... If you're near the coast / body of water, don't fuck around.... Load up your vehicle with vitals as if armageddon's coming. Be safe.

She's getting angry again:

[​IMG]

Brook! likes this.
  4. stinkyB

If anyone is near the coast / waterway, I have suggestions and plans to help minimize flooding.
    I have to head to the office for most of the day, but will check back later.... but in the meantime, buy GORILLA TAPE! and waterproof caulk and small gap Spray Foam

CBG likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stinky and everyone else Florence is NOW a Cat 3 Hurricane,,,,,also at least to my eyes still moving West but now moving slightly NORTH as well,,,be safe all

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

straight upper cut

I've got to think we'll eventually come up with a way to knock these systems off course or even disrupt the storm itself

7. stinkyB

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't care what anyone says,,,, no one should be taking their eye off of this storm. If I lived in Virginia or Maryland I would be watching closely and talking precautions better safe then sorry,,,,,The track is still a question mark I don't care what the models are showing Florence is a beast and yes Stinky she is a Cat 4 ,,,,and she might hit as a Cat 5

Brook! likes this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

[​IMG]

;)

Brook!, stinkyB and CBG like this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Dont trust your eyes or the computer models,,,trust the force

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im not saying Florence will not hit the Carolinas as the models are advertising but then will it stall , head inland , could the ridge weaken and she possibly head Northerly ,or out to sea , what is next ? Even the inland Mountains are expecting Mudslides if it heads inland and that goes for Virginia also. This is going to be one very sad and damaging mess,,,,,be safe all. PS No word from the Jayster he is in Wilmington , hope he is ok

12. stinkyB

Yeah, I hope Jay is already or in the process of getting the F outta Dodge!

and if he's a homeowner, has that house sealed up tight..... If your elevation is below 12', (hell, possible 15 if you're close to beach / water or this one) I'd have every door opening sealed, gorrilla taped, and even plywood with fast cure marine caulk with a rain cap. and EVERY utility opening filled (plumbing entry, electrical, cable, etc) Also, be sure to plug/ seal shower and bath drains and seal toilets if possible.
    Surge will be insane if it hit around High tide. You'd be amazed how much this can help

jilozzo and CBG like this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay is right on the beach

14. stinkyB

FUK..... Good luck Jay, hopefully you're in th process of doing what I said rt now....

Also for garage doors.... Tape the seams, then ripping a sheet of plywood in half and attach to furring strips screwed into the frame opening, then seal with marine caulk will greatly help (just have to make sure theres a sealed cap for rain too) Doesnt have to be a boat, but just needs to be water resistant for a few hours. COuld be the difference between the house getting "wet" vs Flooded

Fill that bathtub up before leaving too... you may need water on return (even if it's just for cleanup)

CBG likes this.
  15. GordonGecko

Absolutely! AND on top of that have a gas generator ready with proper venting to pump out any water that will get in anyways

CBG likes this.
  16. stinkyB

Probably not the best idea to run a generator while you're evacuated ;)

You'd be surprised how fast it drains out on it's own. When I evacuated for Matthew I had friends that got back to the island before me (Day after the storm), and they went to check on my house before me. Looked around and in the windows I didnt board up (leeward side) and gave me a text that I was good and the house looked dry. I was STOKED.
    Well I got home the next morning, and I opened the door and everything looked good OK and first glance.... until I stepped on the bedroom carpet (soaked) then realized furniture moved around and I had a 15" waterline on the walls :(:mad:

Pretty amazing how it left so fast

I did not do the suggestions above.... just sandbags. Learned a hard lesson (At least I did plug the shower drains, that wouldve been extra SHITTY ;)

When Irma came, I didnt mess around

CBG likes this.
  17. GordonGecko

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

hey girls!!!...Sorry CBG!! Left phone on trip....ok..will give updates tonight and sure there will be many pics to load the next 3 days.

Bottom line is this...did any of you really believe I would leave? Me...my wife and dog bella will be live (for as long as we have electric) with updates...will be on later tonight and definitely tomorrow!!!

24" Plus of rain....dear God...will be loading the pics. You have to admit...dumb or not..I do deserve to see one of these first hand....hopefully will not regret it.

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Actually now a few miles off the coast...was in Carolina beach before buying house in north Wilmington.

CBG, jilozzo, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good luck, stay safe and if you can get some cool video I would love it. stay safe though

dawinner127 and CBG like this.