Jamal Adams would be a terrible pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 20, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

i just sing buy taking an in the box safety in the top 10. Is the upgrade between Adams and Pryor really worth the 6th overall pick?

I'm guessing the Jets would do it simply because they have amateurs running the show.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Horrible thread bud. Look at the tape, Adams is a significant upgrade over Pryor and is more than a box Safety. I also believe that he is an "alpha dog" and a true leader. What I do agree with is that, as much as I love this guy, he should not be our selection at 6.

We need to trade back. If we stay at 6 and both Hooker and Adams are there, Hooker should be the pick. But I think Adams has the better pro career.

Royal Tee and TonyFtLaud like this.
  4. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

the thing bout adams over hooker is that he is a safer pick , hooker is all about potential.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hooker is an amazing runner in the open field. Assuming he is healthy he is a double threat as a safety and a punt returner.

I don't know which way I'd go between the two of them. Adams is the more solid player right now and more likely to become a solid safety in the NFL but Hooker is a sensational talent with not enough experience to project well at safety in the pros.

I think I probably go Adams, because the Jets track record with projects is not good right now.

kevda5n9ne, NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  6. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

You shouldn't draft projects with #6 overall.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Jets can really benefit from taking a player like Adams - talent, ability , and most of all leadership. This morning I was watching Adams interview on the Mike & Mike show and came away very impressed on how he handled himself.

He'll make an impact on this team day 1. Besides Garret I can't think of a more safer pick in this draft that the Jets can feel good about after the first day. He's worth the #6 .

#7 BomberJet, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

no projects, please. And as for physical talent: Gholston

boozer32 likes this.
  9. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

yes the upgrade would be worth the 6th pick.

BomberJet and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

As badly as I've wanted Pryor to succeed - he cannot be the reason that we don't draft Adams.

Pryor has been extremely disappointing. Like a previous poster said - Adams is about as safe a pick as we can make.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's one heck of a tough decision if they were both on the clock, but it's a great situation to be in. Adams can do it all, a true impact player. Hooker, I think has a higher ceiling. A single high safety with insane range could be the key to these insane passing offenses. Hooker has inexperience, but his physical talents and ability to read the QB could allow him to still make an impact right away.

Adams can really go up against those TEs, take out the intermediate passes and lay the wood in the run game. Safeties give the corners the ability to play with more freedom and even hide their deficiencies. That's why I don't even want a corner in RD1

BomberJet likes this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yuck

13. boozer32

I don't want either. A in box safety is not going to help us. Hooker is injured and has not worked out for anyone. That should be a red flag if I've ever seen one. People remember Milliner (it hasn't been that long) and want to go right down that same avenue. Adams all I hear is his leadership. Well, leadership has nothing to do with talent. You can't leadership your way in the NFL.

kevda5n9ne and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Adams is extremely talented though.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. boozer32

I don't doubt it but I also don't hear alot about his abilities. All I hear is his leadership. Zero about his tackling, zero about his playmaking ability or hands for interception. Since we are in full tank mode keep Pryor for one more year. No way would I take Adams at 6 or 12 because he is basically Pryor with better leadership abilities. They would be taking up 2 roster spots with the same type players. Both can't play at the same time. That would be wasteful when we need players all over the roster.

#15 boozer32, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. Martin&theJETS

It is his leadership that is just the icing on the cake. Everything else is a given. The Jets said to him during his meeting today "why are you here? you know you'll be gone by 6."

BomberJet, NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  17. boozer32

I'm more than down with someone else taking him instead of the Jets. We need to score TD's. The Jets have drafted defense for a decade and can't stop anyone's offense.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

I agree. But if we stay at 6 our hand might be forced. I like Williams and Howard a lot. I would prefer them, but Adams is BPA and would be hard to pass up. His ceiling and the comparable talent at the other positions might justify taking him. Calvin could stay as SS, but Adams could be a FS. Eric Berry is technically a SS but he plays like a FS.

I hope we trade down to #12. But at #6 the only players on our board should be Fournette, Adams, Williams, Howard, and Barnett. I really want to see offense but Adams is such a special player we might be better suited taking him and then offense in round 2/3 rather than forcing offense at #6 and then taking defense 2/3.

BomberJet, NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  19. boozer32

I hope we trade down to #12 also. You summed up the problem with the Jets team right there compromising on certain players instead of addressing problems. At this point right now we do not need a SS (yes he is a SS and nothing else, Berry always had playmaking ability) and especially at #6. We do not need defense the NFL is set up for offense actually begging teams to score yet we have no playmakers on offense. Also right at this moment we have no QB's. No runningback we can depend on. Both Forte and Powell are injury prone. So picking a SS that we don't need just add to the dysfuntion that is the Jets.

#19 boozer32, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your first two sentences, but not your third. I think Adams would be incredible and would totally transform our D. He is a leader and makes players around him better. The thing about trading down and getting two players instead of one is that what if one of them busts, or just turns out to be meh? In that scenario, a team would be better off taking the perennial Pro Bowl Player (if not All Pro). I like Hooker a lot as well, and would be very happy with him also, but like Adams better. Hooker might make flashier plays, but unless he learns to take better angles and tackle better, could give up some big plays as well. I think Adams is a foundational-type player, a guy who will make great plays, be more consistent and steady, and who will elevate everyone's play.