J. McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns’ job,

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BudJet, Jan 4, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Josh McDaniels reportedly “enthusiastically interested” in Browns job
    Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is “enthusiastically interested” in the Browns’ vacant head coaching job, according to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository.

Per the report, the Browns have used “back channels” to indicate interest in McDaniels. However, the Browns have yet to request an interview with McDaniels. If the Browns don’t interview McDaniels during the New England bye week, they can’t interview him until the Patriots’ playoff run ends, not even during the dead week before the Super Bowl teams head to Atlanta.

An interview may not be necessary; the Browns interviewed McDaniels in early 2014, during the cycle that resulted in the hiring of Mike Pettine. Although G.M. John Dorsey wasn’t working for the Browns at the time, Jimmy Haslam was still the owner, and that could be good enough for the Browns now.

McDaniels held a private workout with Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield in the days before the draft, and it’s believed McDaniels had a very high opinion of the player who became the first overall pick in the draft.

When McDaniels jilted the Colts a year ago, it was believed he’d wait for Patriots coach Bill Belichick to retire. But with Mayfield showing all the signs of being a franchise quarterback, with Belichick showing no signs of slowing down, with Cleveland’s trophy case devoid of any Lombardi Trophies, with McDaniels being a native of the area, and with Mayfield being short enough so that McDaniels could actually look him in the eye (unlike Tom Brady), the time could be right for McDaniels to accept another head-coaching job — and this time to actually show up for it.

#1 BudJet, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This should give the Jets pretty much the pick of the litter. McCarthy has 2 interviews Browns & Jets. IMO The Browns job was the one team that could be more intriguing to would be coaches than the Jets job.

This is good for two reasons 1- gives us a better chance to hire our coach of choice. 2- weakens the Patriots CS.

#2 BudJet, Jan 4, 2019
    Cman68 likes this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This would be a fascinating natural experiment for the heretofore pathetic Belichick coaching tree - everything would be set up perfectly for the little twerp to be a rousing success.

Pepsiguy5 and FJF like this.
  4. Vader

Vader Member

of course he is bc he can’t coach for NY.

5. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

He's a $hitty person and deserve to be in a $htty city as well!

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

It would be funny if he took the Browns job and moved his family over then showed up to sign the contract in August and Cleveland was like "just kidding, we decided to hire Eric Mangini instead"

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am surprised teams want to interview him given the shit he pulled with the Colts.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't be?

They have a #1 corner in Ward, a very good saftey in Peppers and great pass rushing DE in Garrett.

They have a franchise QB, who has weapons to feed in Landry, Njoku, Chubb and Johnson.

They have a lot of the parts to be a winner already in place. This is by far the most attractive job on the market unless you want to coach Rodgers thinking you can win a quick SB with him, but the rest of that roster is a mess. Outside of location, Cleveland is a very attractive job right now.

Noam likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The main reason I came up with why he's 'enthusiastically interested' in the Browns is perhaps internal rumblings that Constipated Bill won't be retiring quick enough for his taste. That, or he's playing poker and trying to force the Cheats hand. Just a thought that's probably wildly wrong, lol.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No surprise. He's an Ohio guy and the Browns are setup for success for years. Attractive job.

jilozzo likes this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. Let’s move this to NFL forum.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Why not? A young, accurate QB---he can teach him to throw 8 yard pass after 8 yard pass. Wonder how Baker would like that? Two strong personalities. Might not work

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Josh is a martinet in waiting. Without Bill to restrain him he will alienate all around him

14. jetophile

It's incredible how drastically the future can changed practically overnight over there. I wish I could say the same for the Jets. It's not that I don't believe in Sam Darnold because I absolutely do, it's just that the conditioned jaded and cynical side of me makes me need jerk react that the Jets going to royally screw everything up. FA, $ spending, draft, because ya know, Jets . . .

One obstacle IMO with luring a top-flight Coach here is the prospect that the meddling Scooby Doo Brothers won't stop meddling in the future. My feeling is that Woody the rube will no longer be in the UK after 2020, which almost wants me to see Trump re-elected, haha.

Noam and JetsNation06 like this.
  15. jetophile

Martinet, now there's a great word. Well done, Sir.

jdon likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Let's not get crazy now :) It really is unreal that we're talking about the Browns like this after they were the poster children for a sucky franchise for years. But that's what a franchise QB can do.

Oh yeah this is off season is so critical to the Jets future it's not even funny. Mac better be studying or hiring real talent evaluators right now because he needs to nail this draft and he should. I remain skeptical but let's see what unfolds.

Noam likes this.
  17. jetophile

It's true what a differene a QB makes.(ha, that just reminded me of the song by the great Dinah Washington, 'What a Differece a Day Makes'), but I think Cleveland possibly being a more attractive scenario for some candidates is also the hands off approach that is happening over there now. You'd think candidates, at least theoretically, would be falling all over themselves to coach in one if the most visible markets in the NFL (Jets). Guess what? No-one wanted to come here before Bowles was hired because of three words: Woody the Bumbler.

Charley Casserly, if I ever see that guy I'm gonna stick my foot up his ass. Get a load of some of the things he said. I could have come up with half that shit and I'm not an 'NFL Consultant'. Plus much of what he said is highly contradictory.

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/b2d2f8aff72542/why-exjets-consultant-charley.html

Someone mentioned it in another thread, I can't recall which one at the moment (probably the Maccagan thread?) that the whole consulting thing was stupid, a waste of time, and a waste of money when you're giving advice to several teams, some who were in direct competition. Whoever that poster was, if I find it, I'll give credit. They're right, ie giving advice to rival teams. When asked why he thought Bowles did not work out he didn't want to comment on it. Asked if he is still talking to the Jets, he didn't want to comment on it. You want to know what I'm doing right now? Making a back Dracula back sign with my two index fingers crossed one over the other.

Remember the whole annoying suck for Luck mantra years ago? Well, how did that turn out for the Colts? Terrible coaching, terrible management. They're now after almost getting him killed for years in a legitimate position to be a contender. A similar scenario because the Jets are idiots is what scares me.

#17 jetophile, Jan 4, 2019
  18. jetophile

As a side note and an addendum, anyone remember the John Lynch embarrassment? Lynch and Herman Edwards are extremely close friends, so close in fact that Lynch was Godfather to Herm's son. He courted Lynch, brought him to The Old Dump, he met with Woody and they had an extensive discussion, etc. Herm was really excited about it, Lynch said he was interested . . . drumroll . . . AND THE FCKN GUY SAID NO. How telling is that? Screwing over your best friend because of a guy with a pumpkin head like Charlie Brown, that's what.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Quite frankly I really don't give two shits about him. Enthusiastic about the Browns? LOL. He is also interviewing with the packers, and he will probably back pedal on any team at anytime. To me he is a snake product of BB and fully controlled by the Pats ownership. Why are NFL teams wasting time with this clown?

FJF likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Same.

I really hope he gets this job.