J Mac

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by XxAlbert84xX, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

McCareins, along with DRob, are some of the players that NEED to restructure. Their salary doesnt measure their production. Pennington is another player that fits into the category

Coles and Ellis, it would be nice for them to restructure, it would certainly help us, but at least they go out and try to EARN their money.

Martin is a guy that IMO falls in the middle. He should restructure, to help his team, but he is a warrior that does everything he can to makek sure the team gets their moneyworth. He dosent owe us anything, but if he restructures, its just another testament to his true character

2. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

insert a DECENT qb and watch coles and mccareins and cotchery take off.i wont go into the need for a true #1 whispers owens

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Coles did not earn his 10M due this year.

Ellis did not earn his money either.

A lot of people on this team need to restructure. However, you do realize restructuring does not necessarily mean a pay cut right?

4. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

understood but egotistically speaking it does to many here.ellis flat out does not deserve the money we are paying him and you wonder why abe is bitter?

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Of course he's better? He's put up better numbers throughout his career...Last season actually showed up despite every team knowing he was he only offensive threat, no run game to take some pressure off of him or even a #2 wideout so he wasn't constantly doubled. Coles took hits, went over the middle and caught passes, while JMac did none.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Didn't the Jets offer Abe that contract 1st and he declined it?

Yeah lets get that big contract with his attitude and a rookie head coach...Perfect match!

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

I do realize that. Maybe I shouldve reworded that, but Im sure people get the gist of what Im trying to say.

Ellis is usually a model of consistency. Coles also. IMO they deserved their contracts. They both had down seasons, but IMO theyre worth the $$$. Penny, DRob, and JMac, however....

8. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

I never really understood what happened when they restructure i just know we save some money. What exactly are they doing to a contract when they restructure it?

9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Depends.

What's known as a "simple" restructuring means the player took his salary for the coming year and made it signing bonus.

No money was actually saved by the team. The player gets his salary today, like it was a signing bonus. If the player has 4 yrs remaining on his contract, for example, his salary is now spread over 4 seasons saving teams 3/4 of his base salary.

The negative of this is if you decide to cut him later, you still have to account for that 3/4...

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Did you even read my post? I mentioned that I read somewhere that he had a nagging calf injury all season. They said that this was making it difficult for him to create seperation so whenever he touched the ball he was getting hit almost immeadiately...thus the dropped passes. Obviously some of his passes were drops, but alot of them were also probably due to poorly thrown balls.

McCareins was NEVER known for bad hands in 2004 and I don't think he should be labeled that now that he had one bad year on a 4-12 team.

I think it is looking very good for McCareins.

I also think that his season is WAY overhyped around here. Probably because most of us didn't know he was hurt most of the year. I give him credit for playing every single game even though he was hurt.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

McCareins looked superb in TC when contact was minimal and had many chances during the regular season to show his thing. I'm not remembering any "calf injury" that made his separation more difficult. He seems to be separation-challenged, period. There is no separation, calf bothering him or not.

Look, I really like the guy. He seemed like a perfect #2. But with our non-existant passing game there wasn't even a #2 let alone a #1. We had zero passing game. Whether it was Chad or Vinnie or Brooksie, we had squat.

I'm not sure all of this is fair to McCareins, but there were a fair number of balls that came his way this year that were either dropped or not dove for or extended for. The guy demonstrates excellent skills right up until it's time to lay it on the line and dive for it or make the catch knowing your bell will be rung. And he just doesn't come up with it, I'm sorry.

I won't be terribly disappointed if we cut McCareins.