It's possible that we are actually building this thing right (article included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 5, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Lee is not a bust, he has made strides each year. The ones calling him a bust are very impatient.
    2. Q is healthy now. Hes working out and had no set-backs.
    3. Robbie Anderson's charges were dropped, so hes fine as of now.
    4. If they haven't heard of the other players, then IMO they should not be evaluating players and you should not be listening to them.
    5. I don't even think Swanson is the starting Center, Long is and was very solid in Pass Pro. Regardless they are both better then Wesley Johnson who was ranked even further then 32.

This has nothing to do with name recognition, don't even think about trying to pull that one on me. Saying we have one of the worst rosters in the league is hog wash.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets are sort of the poor man's Rams right now. Like the Rams, we have so many players on 1 year deals. The differences being the Rams have a much better roster, but also won't be able to afford to resign most of those guys while the Jets will go into next offseason with $100m+. In fact, we may end up pillaging some of those players next offseason.

CotcheryFan and abyzmul like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is an overly optimistic take.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd say it's slightly below average now. We have young players with potential, let's see how they develop. Obviously, Darnold developing into a FQB would go a long way in making the roster above average.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Didn't anyone learn anything from last year when so called experts had us as the least talented team in the history of the NFL. You are going to hear it again to some extent. We are still not there yet, but damm we did a hell of a job in free agency. In 2019 we are a playoff team and 2020-.etc. super bowl contender. That's the plan

6. 101GangGreen101

we arent the worst roster in the league, roster requires major progression but its not as bad as what @HomeoftheJets has indicated.

Yes, Lee has had issues, but hes made some encouraging plays each year. I think he is going to breakout this year. We saw rock bottom btw with Wesley Johnson at center, it made the entire offensive line look bad.

Q will be fine and Robbie, his charges were dropped, yeah he could do something stupid again, but at this time it hasn't happened.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree that the Jets aren't the worst roster, far from it. They made a point to get snaps for a lot of younger players and it shows. I like their direction.

But your bullet points for the most part give the best case scenario, and I know that this team does not warrant the best case scenario that much.

Q has a spinal injury and spinal injuries in a violent sport like the NFL don't just disappear.

Robbie is a fucking dumbass. He seems to have gotten away with his most recent dumbassery, but that does not mean he won't do something just as dumb in the near future.

I like Lee in certain spots, but he's a limited player who doesn't produce in every area that he needs to.

And as positive as you want to be about the center position, it's nothing but a question mark at this point.

twown likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The whole offensive line is bad, wesley johnson or not. Idk how you can say for sure that Enunwa is fine. He is very much still a question mark.

I won't get started on Sharon Lee right now but I'll acknowledge the rest of the defense has talent. They'll just have no pass rush again.

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

There's no reason to think that several young players on that roster won't improve. That and the FA's will make the team and other players better as a whole.

10. 101GangGreen101

There are going to be question marks for sure, I respect that. I think the news on Q was very encouraging, a neck injury is scary, but I feel good about his recovery. Lets hope for the best. I agree this is a wait and see approach, but I really like Chad Hansen to be a breakout WR for the Jets.

Robbie is a dumbass, but his charges were ultimately dropped, so he actually has to do something stupid AGAIN. People learn and I hope Robbie did. But call me when something happens, thats my view on it.

Lee needs to put it together and be consistent, the kid can make plays. I think Avery Williamson will be a good partner next to him. Williamson can shed the blocks and Lee can attack. I think this will open things up a little more on the defensive side of the ball. Cover skills HAVE to get better.

It cannot get worse then Wesley Johnson. Remember when we played Cleveland? Myles Garrett destroyed Johnson for his first sack, so many blitzes up the middle. If we can get someone that can at least help, its an upgrade, not a Billy Price upgrade but an upgrade. Watching Welsey Johnson play was a headache.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

I disagree, Wesley Johnson sucking trickled down to the guards and tackles.

Q is working out right now, catching passes, I agree maybe I jumped the gun its a wait and see approach, but we got depth at WR.

"Sharon Lee" will get better with the addition of Williamson. We need an edge rusher no doubt about it.

12. Walt White

Winters' injury was debilitating as well. The OL additions, Winters back, and Shell going up the curve makes it better. Looks like the depth is overall better. Mac is chipping away at it, albeit slowly, but there's time to do more.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I didn't know Winters was hurt. Agreed, we need to infuse more youth into the offensive line.

14. Walt White

Yes, Winters' injury was bad and I believe he ultimately had to have surgery after they shut him down. Maybe Long shows he can play and stay healthy. He's an upgrade over Johnson I would think. Hopefully Shell continues up the curve and shows he has a future at RT.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're right about Spencer Long, PFF has him as the 19th best center. But other than that, I stand by everything I said about our roster. On a Jets fan forum, it's hogwash to say we have one of the worst rosters. Everywhere outside our fan forum, the consensus is we have one of the worst rosters. So either these supposedly neutral sources are all conspiring against us, or our fan forum is biased in favor of our team. Which is more likely?

#T30 with Bills and Dolphins http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/
    #30 http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php
    #30 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767052-updated-nfl-power-rankings-entering-draft-month
    #30 https://sportsnaut.com/2018/04/pre-draft-nfl-power-rankings/
    #32 http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...9ers-browns-eagles/17jcwpnhch2a314qa9sx6so5ib
    #28 http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-power-rankings-offseason-2018-3#29-new-york-giants-4
    #30 https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...nfl-post-free-agency-power-rankings/33387397/
    #26 http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...nfl-power-rankings-risers-fallers-free-agency

(If you can find a neutral source that ranks the Jets higher than 26, please post it. I couldn't find one and I can use the hope.)

twown likes this.
  16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I know that most don't feel as strongly about this as I do, but in my experience, it DOES have an impact on team performance when you have guys like Anderson in the locker room. It's just so much more fun to show up for practices and games when you don't have dildos for teammates.

17. 101GangGreen101

I don't really put much stock into Power Rankings. Especially one like Walterfootball who had 0 evidence of anything in the draft. These are the same people that said we would go 0-16. I think I would go with my eyes over what they are putting down.

Bills, Dolphins, Redskins, Cardinals ... with upside, I think we can get ahead of a lot of teams, but I don't think we have one of the worst rosters in the league. In terms of names, maybe, but talent and potential, I like where we are.

18. Walt White

Bet those rankings are behind just like last year.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jets seem to do well(or better than expected) when there are low expectations.

20. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

What do you think Hackenberg is for?