It's a good thing we have a Salary Cap in the NFL to ensure parity!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HackettSuxTNG, Jan 23, 2017.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As the New England Patriots march to their FIFTH Superbowl title since the implementation of the salary cap, can we PLEASE now acknowledge that the Salary Cap experiment is a dismal failure, and allow teams to spend what they want to ensure fair competition in this league?

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure it's a failure. Some teams know how to manipulate the cap and some don't.

Everyone was baffled when the Patriots traded Jones and Collins this year, yet still managed to have a top defense.

The browns acquired Collins and were still garbage.

Some FO got it, and some don't

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The salary cap would work if they didn't change the rules to favor the qbs so drastically. they changed from a system of rich teams poor teams to qb no qb.
    We just need to find a qb

4. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Salary caps are just a way to artifically keep the salaries of players low so they owners won't have to pay them higher salaries. This is all under the guise of "parity".

Baseball has it right, no salary cap, but there is a luxury tax line and the penalties are heavy.

5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Trouble is - MLB players union is strong - NFL Player's union is crap.

abyzmul, kevda5n9ne and Jets_Grinch like this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah totally true. I think the sport probably has less parity than before the free agency era, I have no facts to back that up except for the fact that we see the same teams in he playoffs again and again. Falcons are a bit different but Matt Ryan is outside of the elite QBs and very good in his own right. I'm sure the Pats will win it all again and I will wonder again why I torture myself by watching this sport every year.

7. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I love the cap. All things equal the Pats are the best team football becasue they are the best managed team.

Woodhead and tiger8mush like this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If only the Jets signed high character guys willing to take hometown discounts. Instead we have a bunch of guys on D who usually want to "get paid" to "put food on the table".

I can only assume Revis' family eats diamond-encrusted swan for breakfast instead of Cheerios.

9. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

The cap is a major factor in what management has to deal with. When they get it right and draft properly things work out OK. That includes the signing of free agents. Are they a valve to the team? The Jets have so many holes that one player won't make a big difference, if any. So the use of the cap is pretty dam important.

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

ESPN mentioned today that the Pats, Steelers and Broncos have represented the AFC in 25 of 51 Super Bowls. That's incredible. Before I die, I'd take just 1 Jets SB. I couldn't fathom them being a consistent, successful organization like that.

Screw parity. I want Jets dominance!!

KurtTheJetsFan and kevda5n9ne like this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Doesn't Brady get paid off the books thru some company he set up or some non sense...?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...2WMMg10qeBL/amp.html?client=ms-android-google

12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

All that matters is winning. You can cheat, play dirty, make unethical and questionable moves in the front office and all anyone remembers are the super bowls.
    The Steelers, Patriots, and Broncos do anything to win because they know no one will remember the bad stuff they'll just be praised as well run franchises. They're also not run like they're afraid to make a mistake.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Spot on. They catered the rules to fantasy playing crowds and thought making the league offense friendly would bring more ratings and money. It probably worked for a few years but ratings are dropping and will continue to drop. Nobody wants to see the same freaking teams with franchise QB's dominate in the playoffs year after year.

I for one didn't really watch a lot of football. Part of it was me going sober and football without booze ain't same for me but seriously even during playoffs I didn't watch a game from start to finish.

Cman68 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Compensatory picks serve to stack the deck for the winning teams. I think the franchise player rule is OK but it seems a bit hokey when a team will use the tag on their kicker only to extend said kicker and re-use the tag while the kicker is still on the roster. How can a team have two franchise players?

I do not know what if anything can be done about players like Tom Brady clearly signing a contract for less than what other teams would be willing to pay thereby giving his team more cap dollars to spend on additional players. Whether Tom just loves to win or is getting paid under the table it undermines the ability of the salary cap to level the playing field between the haves and have nots.

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Nothing can ever be done about hometown discounts, but Brady should be suspended for as long as the Patriots pay him a second off-the-books salary.

kevda5n9ne and James Hasty like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I just wish we could get a hometown discount once in a while. Aside from Antonio Cromartie who really seemed to love being a Jet it seems that every free agent we ever have needs to be the highest paid player at their position even if we went 4-12 the prior year with their incredible contribution.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The cap isn't working like it's supposed to, but getting rid of it wouldn't make things better. We'd have more money to spend, but so would Belichick. A better solution would be to change the rules favoring QBs, so teams without an elite QB can win.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Make pass interference a 15 yard penalty instead of spot.

Start calling offensive PI. It's amazing how many shove-offs are non-calls.

Stop calling defensive PI for the tiniest little bumps. A WR can trip over himself and they'll call defensive PI 9/10 times.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Then smaller market teams would be Fucked and still contending more often than us. Lmao

matt robinson 17 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Music to the collective ears of NFLPA

Salary cap helps:

1. OWNERS.
    2. Smaller-market teams, [but only to a certain extent.]

I don't know who else this helps.

Last time I checked, NFL shared its profits to all franchises to a degree; the profit system goes like the following:

Half of the gate fee goes to the home team, and the other goes to the NFL.
    All the concession and all other extra bullshit goes to the home team.

So, yes. Salary cap [can] help the smaller-market team to a degree, but that's not the point now, is it?

So, the next question is:

Salary cap fucks:

1. PLAYERS.
    2. Big-market teams

Think of it this way - would Michael Jordan enjoy his salary limited by what the team [can] pay, and not what he is really worth?

Really.

And Brady could be worth about 40-50M/year without the cap. The reason a top-tier QB like Brady can't get that much is simply because of the salary cap.

====================================================================

So if we let the fury of the money back into the league, what will happen?

La Liga will tell you what will happen.

That league features two teams above the stratosphere. They are virtually untouchable every season. They are Barcelona, and Real Madrid. Not coming in first is an abject failure for either one of them.

Below them are mere mortals - every team is the same there. Some richer, some poorer, but they are [mortals.] They could be strong one season, then weak the next, etc.

Is that what we want out of NFL? I have no fucking idea.