It starts at the very top of this organisation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 21, 2018.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

They had a stat last night about how bad Cleveland's drafting had been -- X first rounders in last Y years -- none on team now (obvious before Myles G)

As frustrating as the loss was, it also seemed to be the case that Dorsey got that team turned around. They could be 3 and 0 right now. They gave away the last 2 games. Mayfield and the CB both look excellent. It could be the case that Sam looked so bad because the receivers were tightly covered.

Even the new Cleveland FA seem to be players. Hyde can play; and the game really turned on Landry's amazing finger tip grab with Middleton trying to disrupt the catch.

On the flip side Mac's record (outside of UDFA type contributors) has been mediocre at best and probably better categorized as poor

Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this is a good idea. Not a fan of Macc. His first rounders are doing what high picks are supposed to, and even Lee is showing some signs of life, but for a guy supposedly with an eye for talent there are way too many duds in rounds 203 which are quality picks

Stevied likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This team has been plagued by owners who have no clue how to run a winning football organization. Maybe Chris is different. He's been light years better than his brother so far although that's not saying much.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets even spoke with him. After the Chiefs fired him, the Browns brought him in within a week or two and hired him. There wasn't even any discussion (that I remember) in the NY media about hiring Dorsey. There was a brief, short discussion here about it, but if memory serves me correctly, most posters were against him.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

This team definitely needs a head of football operations. Many of us here have said as much and been clamoring for one for years. I just don't think it will happen as long as the Johnsons own the team. They're dilettantes. They fancy themselves smart and knowledgeable. Chris Johnson seems the smarter of the two, so there's some hope that he would see the need for one, but not much.

Brook!, Cman68, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  6. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Three questions:

1. Is ownership willing to cede control of football decisions to a director of football operations? The current structure suggests otherwise. Having Bowles and Maccagnan co-equal and both reporting to ownership indicates that ownership wants to be directly involved in all football decisions. It's a structure that permits and encourages ownership to meddle.

2. Can ownership recognize top-flight candidates for director of football operations, GM and/or coach? This is the ownership that gave us Idzik and Bowles. 'Nuff said. They had to hire outside consultants to look under enough rocks to find Idzik.

3. Can ownership attract first-rate candidates? If those in the league see ownership as meddling buffoons, probably not. The track record of the Johnson ownership is poor: a lot of turnover and too many people in jobs they're not fit for.

To straighten things out, all of the above questions have to be answered in the affirmative. Are you comfortable answering "yes"?

Brook!, Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think Clev is set for the next few years. Their OC and DC are strong experienced people, they have a new GM as well so I don't see that changing for a few years either.

The issue for the Jets is timing. To find a quality HC they'll need to either wait for a current experienced HC to be fired because of a bad year or look for an experienced OC to be available after getting knocked out of the playoffs. The prospect of a FQB and tons of cap space should be a huge factor in attracting a quality experienced person to be HC. The same is somewhat true for a GM. Chris Johnson from the outside seems to be more competent than Woody so hopefully he knows enough to have a game plan before the season ends to they can target a short list and make a move before another team does.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of well deserved coach bashing here, but Mac deserves as much, or more blame for this mess.

This is an average-below average team. The talent just isn't there. That falls on Mac. The team is playing with zero respect or pride. That falls on the coach. Absolutely cannot can one without the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's not him interfering it's him listening to the wrong people and making bad decisions. Who in their right mind would put the HC and GM on equal terms? I give them credit, they are willing to spend money (they really have to per league rules), they are willing to cut deals to bring in players that they're informed are needed etc. "BUT" they don't give it a second thought whether the GM/HC asking them to sign off on deals is competent. That's been the issue since Woody bought the team. Until the structure of the FO changes and competent people are brought in they will always be a poorly run and poorly coached team.

Listening to Charley Casserly was just dumb. If you're going to call in someone to help get someone people respect and someone with the experience to make good choices.

#29 No Fly Zone, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

May not be a popular opinion, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini coming in as a GM. The best Jets teams in recent memory were built by him.

IBLEEDGREEN17 and Cman68 like this.
  11. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Well in defense of our fearless leader, what’s he supposed to do? He tries on his own? No good! He listens to objective 3rd party guys who are proven (wolf/casserly)? No good!

On this topic..ironic as this statement is, Ole Woody is better than the advisors advising when it comes to hiring..

Advisors brought us idzik bowles mac

Woody/Rex Tanny Mangini Herm

Long live woody!!

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Nobody thought that game was a gimme last night. That game was an epic collapse and a shitshow on multiple fronts. Did you watch that game and feel good about the direction we are headed in?

ColoradoContrails and Since1969 like this.
  13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I will back Bowles, Bates, and Mac if they can individually accomplish these 3 things:

1) Get the team in order, no more individual displays of unsportsmanlike conduct and personal fouls foremost, but also clean up all the holding and false starts there's no excuse for any of these.

2) I'm not opposed to a conservative gameplan that relies on the run and playing good defense with a rookie QB. I take issue when there is an unwillingness or inability to adapt and make adjustments as the gameflow dictates. This must be addressed. 14 point leads shouldn't give a play caller any sense of confidence when your team can not generate QB pressure.

3) When the only bright spots past the 1st round in 3 drafts are Maye and McGuire there's an issue with the scouting department, and this does not exclude the GM. Just the rate of averages would preclude a higher success rate!

Clean up these 3 things and I'll consider it a victory and that you are growing in your individual role in this organization. I don't think any of these things are asking too much, only to perform adequately at your position and improve upon what we've seen thus far.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We are in the basement. I can’t tell if the trajectory of the next three years will be upwards or even more sideways. The only thing I know is that the entire FO should be on a short leash.

15. NCJetsfan

In your opinion, what is the likelihood of those three things happening?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

and

Well, which is it? Evidently you ARE a Woody fan, and wrongfully so.

Tanny was a horrible hire. He was a bean counter and attorney with no experience in scouting and player development. He left the cupboard really bare. The only good players he brought in were under Mangini. Rex was a blowhard and buffoon. He made the Jets a circus and even bigger laughingstock of the NFL when the team was his. In 2009 and 2010 he rode on the coattails of the players that Mangini assembled, the leaders that Mangini had brought in, and the disciplined that he had demanded. Herm was a doofus and cliché machine.

17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

All three happening.. not likely at all.

Bate calling plays differently is the easiest of the 3 to correct, as it's just shifting your efforts.
    I think after this week we will know with Bowles, I honestly believe that. Either he will get in their ass and set an example and dare players to cross him and they will listen, or they won't. And I think this will show up in the next contest.
    Mac obviously is doing something wrong in the evaluation process and I have no idea if this is correctable, we'll just have to wait and see how some of these current picks turn out and if future picks can stay on the roster.

It's funny because I have the most confidence in Mac as a part of this personnel, but I think Bowles and Bates have the easiest and most likely path to making my 3 accomplishments come true.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Stevied

Yo brotha,

Tanny was horrible huh? He only gave us the 2 best Jets teams outside of SB3, and some other competitive ones..Also, for as few stars that we have now, we had a good amount with him.. Some were even home grown-Regis,mangold etc.. Yeah toward the end it wasn’t great, but there were good moments..

Herm also had us a missed kick away from the AFC Championship game..

But again the spirit of my post was comparing woodys hires vs who he was told to hire..he comes out aheaD

Yeah he hasn’t won us the big one..but in my eyes he spends, he’s present (until recently), didn’t give ridiculous quotes, and he seeks help from those who know (allegedly)... So I’m actually starting to think he’s doing all the right things unless I missed something ..perhaps I am

19. Stevied

And btw..Tanny hired mangini..said picks were on his watch

20. Stevied

I gotta ask, what’s he done? And done differently? Supposedly the culture changes but I ain’t seeing it..Thryre pushing it to gain more tix etc