Is this make or break year for Maccagnan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I feel like it is. I don't hate Mac. I really don't but he leaves a lot to be desired with his draft picks and some of his free agent signings. I cam across a good article today and I will post it below. What do you guys think? Do you think this is Mac's most important off-season since he took the job with the Jets?

I mean, come on, you have a Top 3 pick and you have enough money to bring in a few impact players. You gotta take advantage of that and create a winning team.

Here is the article.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/why-pr...mportant-offseasons-in-jets-history/303887070

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

Why pressure's on Mike Maccagnan during one of the most important offseasons in Jets history

Jets CEO Christopher Johnson made his choice on Dec. 30 when he fired Todd Bowles, but not Mike Maccagnan. It was a signal that he believed in his general manager, bought into his vision, and wasn't concerned about his spotty record.

And though Johnson insisted he would never give anyone a playoff mandate ("Absolutely not," he said), the message from his actions are perfectly clear: This is Maccagnan's roster, Adam Gase is Maccagnan's coach, and this is the offseason Maccagnan has to turn the Jets from laughingstocks into a winner.

In other words, as one of the most important offseasons in Jets' history begins, the pressure on Maccagnan is high.

What happens next will determine whether the Jets GM is still the GM after his contract expires after the 2020 season, or whether he's still the GM in 2020 at all. He made a masterful trade one year ago to get the Jets in position to draft Sam Darnold, the franchise quarterback they had been seeking for 50 years. But there aren't many other things on his list of accomplishments, and since the Jets are a miserable 24-40 during his tenure, there's obviously a lot of work to do.

Granted he has close to $100 million in salary cap space to work with this offseason, not to mention the third overall pick in the NFL draft. Add in the energy of a new coach and coaching staff, the ingredients are certainly there for a quick turnaround.

But there are plenty of warning signs, too.

He has a spotty free agency record -- It's exciting the Jets have all this cap room, but they had plenty last offseason too, and what do they really have to show for it? Remember, they offered $90 million guaranteed to QB Kirk Cousins and that doesn't look so brilliant now. They also gave a five-year, $72.5 million contract with $34 million guaranteed to CB Trumaine Johnson, whom the Rams couldn't wait to get rid of, and who ended up benched for the season finale after repeatedly being late to work. MLB Avery Williams was a nice find for three years, $22.5 million. But where was the much-needed offensive help? RB Isaiah Crowell (three years, $12 million) and WR Terrelle Pryor (one year, $4.5 million) were pretty much it, and that didn't work out well. So Maccagnan has to come through with big-time play-makers and game-changers this time (think: Le'Veon Bell). And this time most of them need to work out.

He has a poor draft record - Maccagnan has done reasonably well with his first-round picks, so there's no reason to worry about that. It's the rest of the drafts that have been a problem. From second-round busts like QB Christian Hackenberg (2015) - who was so bad he bombed in his AAF debut on Sunday -- to too many mid-round misses like receivers ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen (third and fourth rounds, 2017). There were some positive signs in the last draft, although the jury is way out on his second pick (third-round DT Nathan Shepherd). With no second-rounder (gone to the Colts in the Darnold trade) those mid-round picks will be huge this year - especially if he trades down in the first round and accumulates more.

His teams have lacked discipline on and off the field - From the 2016 locker room war that divided around Sheldon Richardson and Brandon Marshall, to Mo Wilkerson's inability to show up on time regularly, to far too many players who ended up suspended for drugs, PEDs or DUIs, the Jets haven't been a high-character team for a while. Yes, a lot of that was on Bowles, but at any point the GM could have stepped in and imposed discipline. The GM is also responsible for bringing in players - like Trumaine Johnson - who seem to like to play by their own rules. In an offseason that will reshape the team, he can't ignore character as he brings in new players. After all, almost every championship team will tell you that character and chemistry matter. The Jets have been short on both the last few years.

He's allowed a potentially volatile coaching staff - This is more of Gase's problem than Maccagnan's, but this coaching staff is a soap opera waiting to happen. Maccagnan wanted Gregg Williams to be the Jets defensive coordinator long before he hired a coach, according to multiple sources. Gase obviously had to sign on. But Gase also hired his father in law, Joe Vitt, who testified against Williams during the infamous BountyGate scandal in New Orleans. Now Vitt works for Williams who works for Gase. And despite what one source said were reservations by Maccagnan, Gase hired Blake Williams, Gregg's son, as a defensive assistant after a rocky tenure in Cleveland. Again, it's Gase's issue, but this was all assembled on Maccagnan's watch.

That's a lot to overcome, but Johnson obviously believes Maccagnan is the right guy to sort that all out. He believes he'll use the high pick wisely, spend the cap room in the right places, fix the discipline issues and keep the coaching staff in check.

Maybe he will. But as soon as Bowles was shoved out the door, the spotlight moved to Maccagnan and his so-far unimpressive record and it became hard for many to have faith that he can do any of that at all. Now he has to, though, because no one thinks Gase has been dealt a winning hand with the Jets. And that's Maccagnan's fault.

Can it work? There's no doubt Maccagnan has the cards to be a winner, if he plays them correctly. If he does, the Maccagnan-Gase pair could be the long-term solution the Jets have been seeking.

If not, the house of cards will come crashing down and the Jets will soon be looking for a new GM to clean up yet another mess.

HomeoftheJets and GreenfiendNYJ like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep, do or die year for MM

The nepotism in the NFL is all over the place .having Gregg Williams son vs hiring Joe Vitt sounds like a compromise that A Gase worked out with G Williams

On paper , Gase Williams and the rest of the CS are very qualified

Now how's that chemistry gonna go?

The real answer here is that Mike M is not as strong willed or as knowledgeable as say a John Dorsey...so he allows this drama to unfold while crossing his fingers and toes lol

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think this is a very fair article . It kind of is a make or break season for Mac. I don’t think the Jets necessarily have to make the playoffs but I do think an 8-8 record with the team on the upswing needing two or three more players to contend for a championship type season is the bare minimum .

He needs to move this rebuilding project into warp speed this offseason with smart resignings , about three major FA aqusitions , and needs to hit on at least three of his top four draft picks .

Mac isn’t the worst GM we’ve had and had shown a good knack for trades but he also doesn’t give off the appearance of being very aggressive i.e. the locker room schnanigans .....needs to show a little more of an authoritative nature .

boozer32 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

Sorry screwed that reply up above ...

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Fixed that for you. Lol

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It should be with Bowles gone. Getting a potential FQB saved his job for better or for worse. Time to start hitting on those draft picks beyond round 1. Need more Herndons, less Stewarts and Hansens. Get impact players on both sides, especially Edge and skill players on offense. And shore up the OL with real upgrades.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It should be "make or break", but will it?

He needs to hit big in FA and the draft - and I don't mean hitting on his 1st round pick alone. He needs to prove he has the knowledge and ability to bring in a BUNCH of talent that makes the Jets playoff contenders this year. Anything less, he should be fired.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It doesn't really matter because Chris Johnson is too fucking arrogant to hire a VP of Football Ops that actually knows how to build a successful franchise. Fire Macc and then what? Chris Johnson utilizes his unlimited football acumen to hire another idiot to be GM? More years of nothing? Really?... sign somebody else up for that. Chris Johnson is the NFL equivalent of Guitar Jimmy Dolan. Macc should have been walked the same time Bowles was. Keeping the same failed Org Chart was the brainchild of..... Chris "I'm a fckn Genius" Johnson. They know full well they're not selling the team and revenue will flow into their bank accounts no matter what. All they have to do is pretend they give a shit and the suckers will continue to fork over the dough.

It is what it is...

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This is a do or die year, but we won't know for a couple years how it works out, so it won't get Macc fired unless it's disastrous. If it fails, he'll be gone in a couple years.

10. If this Darnold/Adams era is a complete dismal failure i truly believe they will lose this fan base.Theyve already started to.

Woody left for the UK when things got rough,They clearly care a great deal about perception as evident by moves they caved to due to popular demand..these arent fighters or bullheads..these are soft skinned silver spoons who will always choose the easy way out(See woody in UK).

If the patriots keep winning,tickets stop selling & the fans discontent gets more volatile in their direction they will cash out.

Even their attempt at linking the brand to lush higher society w their precious metlife is an undeniable failure.Theyll literally have no where left to turn.

50 years is quickly approaching 86 year cheaters kissing cousin territory..they had owners cash out just the same

CotcheryFan, HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether I think it's the right or wrong move, I think Mac will get to see the entire Gase era through

Though with Darnold where he is right now, and the window of opportunity that may be opening, if it appears early on that Gase isn't clicking I don't think they give him 4 Bowles type years to muck it up. They'll can him after 2

Noam and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You sure ask a lot of questions.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Agree, both will likely go down together. I dont see bringing in a new GM without a new coach which means at least 2 years. Normally, I would say 4 years but Gase looks he has potential to really implode plus given his time in Miami and the fact we have a FQB his leash will likely be pretty short.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I agree that he will be here for the Gase era.

We won’t know if this years picks suck or not for 2 years....... At which point him and Gase might be goners if they do suck and we underachieve

Regarding coaching staff chemistry concerns

Ask Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka how their Super Bowl ring fits. We know they had serious chemistry issues.

End of story

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If 2019 is a disaster, the fanbase's reaction will be so merciless that Mac and Gase may be fired at season's end. As for the topic of this thread, I think last offseason and this one were both very important, probably the most important ones since 2009.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Been posting this news forever and the fans are always left holding the bag

I don't think the Browns are the worst run Franchise ...it's us!

The 2019 season has to be a playoff, 10 win minimum one as Contrails said

Actually, didn't T Bowles win 10 games? So I am adapting a 32 game 2 year trial for this regime

My goodness, C and W Johnson extended that loser Bowles after 2 losing seasons...!!

Gase and Williams are hardly worried>>>>Mac incompetent, spineless and Owner is Grandiose lol

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It only is if he botches free agency. If he doesn't botch it he's going to get at least 2 more years.

18. He has 2 years due to the roster breakdown,drafting sam & the excess cap space.That said if he misses on prime FA bc players wont come here,has another lackluster draft & its more of the same on the field hes gone at the end of 19 & i think thats been communicated to him by Chris.

The main reasons hes still here are Sam, the cap space & Bowles being the worst coach since Kotite

Wildcard:

I think both Adams & sam will not stand for bumbling incompetence & will demand trades if things do not improve within next 3 years.If that happens itll be all out armegeddon

#17 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
    Cman68, FJF, CotcheryFan and 2 others like this.
  19. mrjet80

I think this sums the situation up perfectly. I also think we’re gonna know a lot more about Mac’s future by the end of April....

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Hahahahaaaaa the Detroit Lions, the Cinncinati Bengals, the Miami Dolphins, the Arizona Cardinals, the Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders, the Denver Broncos, the SF 49ers, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the 30 year pre-Dorsey pre-Mayfield Browns say hi.

We aren't the best run franchise but we are FAR from the worst.

21. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It would have to be epically bad that goes well beyond the record to get rid of Gase after one year. Likely involving a player mutiny similar to the Al Groh year.