Is there anything left to improve the jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 18, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I thought I'd take a look at some still unsigned players and see if anything is worth it

CB - Sean Smith
    Case for smith, he is a solid starting CB in the NFL. he would likely be cheap around 6-8 million. He's 30 but skrine is 29 and likely gone after 2018 anyway. he's betetr then skrine, but not sure if he's suited to play the slot since the jets have claiborne and johnson on the outside. still injuries happen and if claiborne misses time like he does often, i'd rather have smith on the outside then skrine starting. Since we save 6 mil cutting skrine the net extra cost would be 0-2 million.

DT - Jonathan hankins
    Case for hankins, he is young (26) and has been a very productive starter his entire career since being drafted by the giants in the 2nd round. He was cuyt after 1 year with the colts after they overpaid him free agency. he would come cheap but the problem is the jets are overstacked with young DTs, but hankins is more proven then the rest of the lot. at 6-2 325lbs we could replace Mclendon with him who is on the wrong side of 30

DT - Nick Fairley
    missed 2017 with a heart ailment. if healthy though he is an excellent interior pass rusher, but he's 30 and again jets have too many lineman

TE - Fleener
    recently released by the saints. started with the colts and was luck's TE in college but never panned out in the NFL. still a solid blocker with more experience then all our TEs combined

ILB - Cushing
    He's 31 and not what he once was, but as a pure depth guy behind lee and williamson and a great leader and locker room guy

egelband likes this.
  2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Based on the title of this post, what they are missing is a better then just good edge rusher. We also could use a k/p returner that can break off some really big gains, like a TD or two.

Royal Tee, egelband and FJF like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think Hankins would have been nice but it seems they are keen on going with the rookies and youngins they already had in the pipeline.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Sean Smith is in jail on an assault charge for the next year so he isn't going to be an option this year

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The roster can always be improved no matter the team.

Though, I think at this point, any additional players added through camp will be incremental improvements.

We won’t get the massive upgrades until FA and the draft I bet.

LF911SC likes this.
  6. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Any additional players will probably come via the waiver wire and be development type depth. Any useful FA not already signed is probably waiting for a contender to have a need.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

There are always possible exceptions, but I'm more interested in letting younger players already on the roster get their shots to see what they have now and going forward

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Edge rusher won't happen this year. The quality you need won't shake loose at this point.

Some offensive linemen may become available once the roster cut down occurs at the end of the preseason. Sometimes a good, not great offensive lineman with a high cap number can get cut when their successor is on the roster and looking good. That could present an opportunity for the Jets.

Tight end and linebacker too.

Franchize likes this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

OL, EDGE, time to mature.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There might be an upgrade or two to the OL depending on the outcome of preseason and final cuts. IMO No real major splash beyond that at this point barring injuries is in the cards.
    We might, however, have a trade or two in the works to capture extra picks in 2019.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us stiffen our OL. A good OL makes every facet of the offense better.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

At this point I want to see what we have in house. There will be some upgrades to be made after training camp.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Between Fatukasi, Shepard, and bringing Anderson from the Colts, one of these guys is going to be good playing the opposite 3-4 DE spot from Williams. Our defensive line should be a better unit than expected, but I think we're still a big man nose tackle away from being great.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Kenny Vaccaro and Dez, IMO.

15. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind Dez on a reasonable deal. He's not what he once was but it would be a solid addition to a WR with a lot of question marks

16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Dez is the last thing you want in this locker room. Finally got rid of all the cancers and you want to bring another one in? With a rookie QB?

egelband, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  17. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

not so sure he would be considered a cancer at this point in his life, after the bad season the Cowboys had last year, and the prior year with a Rookie QB going to Bailey more than him, was there any problems from Dez?

You're going by Dez 5 or so years ago, sometimes people grow up

egelband likes this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

My issue with Dez was his lack of running a true route tree. He literally ran 3 routes for most his career, post, slant and go. He just got with a WR coach to teach him a full route tree. He's 29, and he's just learning these things??

Let's not go for a name guy here, is he at this point any better then Terrelle Pryor? Pryor is likely a 4th option right now on the DC. I'd rather develop the 4 young WR's who have a shot to be something in this league.

Bringing in a pass rusher maybe but there isn't much if any at all available, unless you feel Elvis Dumervil can contribute still.

FJF likes this.
  19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Ok. So lets remove the antics out of the equation. You bring Dez in then whats the depth chart at receiver?

1 - Bryant
    2 - Anderson
    3 - Enunwa
    4 - Pryor / Kearse
    5 - Kearse / Pryor

What about Stewart and Hansen? They will get zero play time with all those guys in front of them. We never find out if they are capable players.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

What I heard a few weeks back is that he’s a shell of his former self and can no longer create space for himself. That no one in the league is looking at him as a number 1 or number 2 weapon like the old days and maybe not even a 3rd option.

Please no. No more Steve Atwater’s, no more Art Monk’s, no more Ronnie Lott’s, no more Bubba Frank’s, no more Ed Reed’s.

Just stop with the old washed up superstar from years gone by.

Cman68 and FJF like this.