Is the season over?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Sep 21, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, from a playoff run perspective...next year.

It’s nice to dream this team this year could have won a Super Bowl but reality is also important. This team isn’t winning the SB and ain’t making the playoffs.

Reality matters.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

More inspiring than anything Bowels has done or said, so you think we can hire this legend?

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Are the Saints a bad team in 2018? Will the Saints not make the playoffs this year? I ask that because the Saints came perilously close to losing at home to the Browns. Even the Steelers couldn't beat the Browns, who by the way have yet to lose a HOME game in Cleveland this season. The REALITY is the 2018 Browns are a much improved team this year, and are going to be tough to beat, especially at home. Jets played their 3rd game in 11 days, 2nd on the road, and with a rookie quarterback. We almost beat the Browns too, which would have made the Jets 2-0 on the road with a rookie qb to start the season. Bottom line, have some perspective before you rush to (an almost knee-jerk) judgement.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

All that sounds great for Browns fans; we are talking about the Jets. Playing a team close in no way establishes long term performance over a season. Just as you don’t look at one Saints game in isolation and ignore the team’s ability as a whole.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It just looks to me that for this team to show any improvement and for Darnold to keep progressing as a very good NFL QB, the OL has to improve

Can that be a realistic goal? This is pretty much the group from last year except for the center. A bit of a conundrum.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'm not ignoring anything. I just refuse to be an asshat and knee-jerk after 3 games in 11 days with two on the road with a rookie quarterback. Any questions?

MDJets likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the season isn't over as its all about developing Darnold and hopefully putting us in position to get a new coaching staff - in terms of playoffs, well, to quote The Smiths (which isn't something that happens often in these parts):
    "I know it's over
    And it never really began
    But in my heart it was so real
    "

boozer32 likes this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s over if you had any dreams of playoffs. Let it go

Watching Darnold closely though will make the rest of the season watchable

10. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

This is where it gets roller coaster ride like. Every year we always somehow manage to lose/win the games we shouldn't. So don't be surprised if we beat Jax. Judging by the way the Oline has been playing it's pretty safe to assume the season as far as playoffs is already over.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

21 more games,preseason included ,before I have playoff expectations.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This board after a loss is all about asshattery.

playtowinthegame and Doreblade like this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What’s worse though, people with ridiculous expectations puffing up how great the team will be in the preseason, or people being pissed off about the broken record issues we discuss after every loss?

Bottom line: it sucks to suck

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I had absolutely no expectations going into this season. For me, it is all about Sam and his development.
    That being said, after watching the first 3 games, I firmly believe in the "any given Sunday" mantra with this team. They are good enough to compete with anyone. Can they win those games? That remains to be seen. Nothing will change until they can protect their investment in Sam.

Winning must be learned. Closing out games must be learned. Killer instinct isn't instinct at all, it must be learned. Expecting to win and not just "compete" must be learned. It's about the culture of the organization.

A couple of posters have mentioned that this season is about developing Sam and turning over the coaching staff. I don't think you can have it both ways. If Sam develops and starts firing on all cylinders by the end of the season, Chris is not likely to make any changes.

MoWilkBeast and LAJet like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold is spot on. Chris however doesn't know shit about football operations, so having Bowles and Mac report to him is a waste. We need a no shit head of football that makes both accountable and provides a winning vision. I'm conflicted because I want to see Sam develop, and hopefully he will, which unfortunately will preserve our mediocre HC for 1-2 more years. I don't believe he will ever grow into the imaginative, creative, well disciplined, adjust on the fly kind of HC that makes you a perennial winner. Tell you what, even more concerning, If our DC is still here next year, we will continue to have the most under-achieving D, no matter who we draft.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There was never any chance of the Jets making the playoffs this year. If that was the goal, they would have probably kept TeddyB or started McCown. As it is, its the Sam Darnold trial by fire year so it doesn't really matter who we beat or who we lose to. The only thing that matters is Sam getting used to the speed of the professional game, overcoming Norman Bates and his sometimes horrific game plans and most importantly, surviving long enough for Macc to finally do something about the oline.

#36 Cman68, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    TwoHeadedMonster and Jets81 like this.
  17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I do think they will more than we see at the moment

18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Let's see; lost to a team that hasn't won a game in two years against a rookie QB who had never played a professional down before coming off the bench and lighting up the Jets clueless defense. You also have an incompetent coaching staff which lacks what it takes to build a winner. Looks like another double digit loss season in the works and another round of high draft pick busts being selected in the 2019 draft. Where have we seen this script before?

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?? PLAYOFFS???

Jokes aside, Jets are not going anywhere with 1. this sorry excuse of OL and 2. Todd Bowles.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and Cman68 like this.
  20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The fact that none of you think the Jets can beat the Jags kills me. The difference between winning and losing in the NFL is very small. This past Sunday the Titans went to Jacksonville and showed you the blue print in beating the Jags.

It is going to be a long year, lets see how good this team is before make any judgements. If at the end of the year the team is no better, than by all means start chopping heads.