Is Sam currently better than McCown and should we sit him until the bye?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't suggest that Darnold is horrible. Jcass10 asked if a FQB had ever started the season and then been benched and I answered it.

But my unstated point was that if even the great John Elway struggled like that, and eventually became a HOF QB, then the future looks very bright for Sam - assuming he stays healthy and isn't ruined by poor coaching.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

As someone who joined after the inception of the like button, I disagree completely. Post-like ratio is the #1 metric to determine the quality of a poster. I am obviously among the elite posters on this forum. ;)

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Sorry, didnt mean to imply that you were calling him horrible. Actually just saying the opposite, he has had his ups and down, like any rookie QB, but hes not anywhere near what Elway was. Or even Manning.

I think there have been a lot more than just Elway who were benched. Cutler maybe? Todd Blackledge, I think. Heath Shuler?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There may have been, but Elway sticks out for me because I was kinda sorta following the Broncos - not necessarily rooting for them, but I was always a fan of the West and I liked their (mostly) Orange and Blue uni's, and I had been following Eleway in college. In any case, while I was disappointed that he struggled and was benched, I felt that he had shown enough that he would eventually reclaim the job and that was proven to be the case - and then some!. From that experience I formed my opinion that if a team drafts a QB they believe will be their FQB he should start Game 1, or certainly no later than the midway point of Season 1. If he isn't good enough to do that then the team has really screwed up. The best way for a player to learn - and especially a QB - is to play. I'm happy that Sam has started every game/snap and he has improved steadily, as a FQB should be expected to do. My ONLY concern has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with the talent around him and the coaching and game plans/play calling. He has proven to be the real deal and the Johnsons need to do everything they can, including getting a new GM and/or CS to make sure he has everything he needs to achieve his potential.

LF911SC likes this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Cant disagree with any of this. I get the Elway reference. Have always said if Elway could be the prospect he was, could have had the starting job given to him, failed enough to lose that job and still go on to win SBs and have a HOF career its hard to blame failed careers on being handed too much, too soon

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Terry Bradshaw

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Good advice for many people. Did I miss the memo or is this still a discussion forum? I never understand hostile responses to people trying to discuss things on a discussion forum. And that doesn't even address the mob mentality of attacks people like to engage in once someone, like yourself, has given them a bandwagon to jump on or a position to hide behind to belittle people.

Now, for the record, I don't agree with the OP. However, there is merit to his point. QBs have been ruined by starting them come hell or high water instead of taking a more thoughtful approach. In theory this is a discussion that the coaches should be having behind the scenes. Every single decision about SD should be about preparing him for the future. If playing him does that better then play him--if sitting him lets him have a chance at being better in the future then I hope he picks splinters out of his ass.

Either way, if we can't come here to discuss NY Jets related matters the change the forum name to indicate what we can discuss. Hopefully whatever it is it can be a civil discussion...

#68 Aewhistory, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    ouchy, Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You might be feeling or sensing pressure that Sam isn't really feeling. Bates and Bowles have said from the start that Sam is a very calm dude and was handling everything thrown at him from the start and it was a big consideration for them and a reason he got the nod.
    The losses are on Mac and Bowles so that's where the pressure is. I don't think he's taking it on.

Guys who plainly showed stress were Geno and Sancho. I don't think he's showing that yet at all.

He's processing an incredible amount of info and experiences, and they've been beat by some better teams. But Sam looks like he's holding up fine. He's on the fast track and it could pay off well. Let's see what happens.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Except I'm a millennial twice over.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's like a Hyena that smells blood. He's trying to get some scraps

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The op says "should we sit him"........or to translate should Bowles sit him?

Inane to think that after making the commitment to play him , he's going to sit him cause of some concerns that that forum follies make up out of the blue?

Is in for the long haul until he gets hurt.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Mack may not be 100%. Yeah it could be a tough one for Sam, but you have to give him a chance. They didn't sit him against Von Miller and Chubb, it's not happening here.

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

And I am definitely not, but hey, at least my dog likes me.

Usually.

Big Cat likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Ouchy is a worse poster than Boffalopsycho or whom ever the hell he is ... should the mods consider sitting him until after the bye? Thats the poll this thread needs

FJF likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Sam is bad and we lose, watch how quickly people who secretly agree with ouchy come out of the woodwork...

Aewhistory, FJF and LF911SC like this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If the Jets upset the Bears, should Darnold be benched next week against Miami? Yeah, I know, this question makes just as much sense as the one posted by the op. Just thought I would double down on this ridiculous suggestion for the hell of it.

FJF likes this.
  18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Darnold should ask for a trade to salvage his career.

19. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Last I checked, this was football. You don't take out guys to let them reflect upon the first 7 games unless they're doing quite bad. Which he isn't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

No, there is no reason to go to McCown now. If the Jets were committed to winning the max amount of games it might make sense. But what is McCown going to do? Maybe squeak out an extra W so we can be 7-9?

McCown sits unless there is injury to Darnold or if any one game gets out of control to the point where it's pointless to leave him in. This season is really all about NEXT season.