Is New England Violating The Salary Cap With Tom Brady ?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsKickAss, Oct 8, 2015.

1. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Brady has pocketed $196.2 million over 17 seasons (and only wound up playing in 15 of them), or 11.5 on average.
    Manning pocketed $248.7 million over 18 seasons (only wound up playing in 17 of them), or 13.8 million average.
    Eli Manning has $205.8 million through 13 seasons, or $15.8 million average.

Did Peyton and Brady give up money, or is it just the market for franchise quarterbacks has gone up over time and the younger QB's are benefiting from it now?

And what is the point of "his Day In The Sun with a record-setting contract, even if it included tons of bogus deferred/non-guaranteed money " if the player is never going to see it? Cash in pocket is what counts, not illusions.

All cash earnings count against the salary cap, it's a question of when does it count based on how it's paid out (base salary, signing bonuses, roster bonuses, etc). Each have certain conditions of how and when they count. But in the end, all cash in pocket counts against the cap.

2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

TB12 has a contract with the team and is in the same facility. Brady gets his money, just doesn't hit the salary cap.

TonyFtLaud and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I maintain: Brady has NEVER signed a record-setting contract...his annual salary, cash outlay, and stated compensation are NEVER at the top and many times are not even in the Top 5 for QB's.

Something fishy is going on with his Brookline, MA neighbor.....a guy by the name of Robert Kraft.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ord-contract-extension-makes-sense/610897001/

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The dude makes an extra $8 million in endorsements and his wife is worth nearly $400 million. He doesn't have to sign for tons of money. It's clearly all about winning.

Also, you linked an article about Matthew Stafford.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Your right that NE is paying Brady through his TB12 company but the NFL CBA has no restictions regarding business between teams and Players.
    Any team can do the same if they choose to circumvent the cap.

6. Nothing surprises me w. New England & we've all suspected Brady got extra under the table perks all along.While controversial as others have stated it isn't illegal..as long as it isn't structured within the NFL contractual landscape & is linked to a legit outside "business" or service there's no legal wrongdoing

I have little doubt that in the future we are going to learn much more about their shady ways.Way too much evidence over a long stretch of time to be coincidental.

This wouldn't make my list however..i think Gisselle's comments about his undocumented concussions is a much bigger deal. If there is any truth to what she said(and why would she lie?) it calls mind to Bellicheats infatuation for injury list deception. Given the history,the player in question & the INJURY in question..if that story were to grow new legs that could be a major major story w possible repercussions far greater than Any Cheater gate you can think of

dcinct likes this.
  7. JetsKickAss

Funny, nobody has ever confirmed that Brady is taking less $$$ for the team. What does the NLFPA say about that ?

I never said he NEEDED the money. I said the man has a massive ego and he has NEVER appeared in a headline story about making the big buck$$$ -- real or imaginary (non-guaranteed $$$ or whatnot) -- because he obviously has a side deal with Kraft.

Right....another QB signs a "record-setting" contract and in 17 years, Brady never has.

And Florio, King, and all the national and Boston writers know never to ask that question. Meanwhile the Cowboys and Redskins got nailed for cap violations years ago.

8. JetsKickAss

What ? That is not possible.

So you're telling us that MLB and the NBA and the NFL would avoid salary caps or luxury taxes by paying a Top 5 superstar $1 MM a year and the team doing $30 MM a year in a business with his wife ?

9. JetsKickAss

But it IS illegal !!! It's a DIRECT circumvention of the salary cap. Cowboys and Redskins got nailed for INDIRECT circumvention of an oral agreement reagarding the cap in a non-capped year !!!

Cowboys and Redskins violated "the cap" in a year with no cap !!! Meanwhile, Kraft and Brady are.......

Don't count on it. Did you see all the writers in the tank for Brady during Deflategate, Spygate, etc. ? King, Florio, etc.

No, it's small potatoes......paying Brady 30-50% less than his FMV so they can spend the $$$ on other teams and win Super Bowls when dumb NFC OC's choke in the 4th Quarter is the key issue.

dcinct likes this.
  10. I'm not as familiar with this indirect circumvention at least in terms of punitive repercussions..I'll take your word for it regarding the Cowboys & skins.Im not saying it's not unethical it just seems like something very difficult to regulate w.a lot of gray area.

As for writers siding w the Pats or looking the other way. they've always had their apologists & admirers.However there are just as many writers & media who have called out the Patriots to go along w the undeniable public outcry The Patriots & esp Kraft do little to change perception..you can only poke the PR bear so many times before you trap yourself into a corner.The truth will come out

dcinct likes this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's all the interesting guys available in Massachusetts

12. If One only cared about winning & didn't give a shit about being a douche or the integrity of the very sport for which they made a living on the field or off of it..sure they'd likely go play for Mr Kraft.

Sounds about right

dcinct likes this.
  13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Brady's latest contract redo is 2 years at $41mil including a $28mil signing bonus.

So through 2017 has made over $195 mil. Less than Peyton by a little over $30 mil. But you have to remember Brady played for peanuts his first 3 years as a 6th round pick while Manning was the #1 pick and got a huge contract ($42mil, with a $12mil signing bonus) under the old rules, that became a 5 year $90mil contract after his 3rd year.

Eli's rookie deal was for $54mil with $20mil up front.

Brady made salaries of $303K, $350K, and $375K his first 3 years.

But conspiracy theories seem to be the only thing keeping some of you guys going at this point, so knock yourselves out.

14. 2 major sanctions for cheating w significant trails of incriminating evidence goes alittle beyond the realm of conspiracy theory.

But hey rationalization & deflection seems be "your guys" only means of defense at this point & since nobody outside of your fan base takes a word of it seriously knock yourselves out!

dogg, BacktoQueens and dcinct like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

No I am not telling you that! Where the F*** did I mention his wife ot wives?
    The NBA and MLB have appropriate language in the CBA prevent them from engaging in business with the players to circumvent the cap. The NFL does not. We can sign Cousins for example at league minimum next season and buy bottled water from his new company to sell at the stadium for let's say, $25 million over his cost. Perfectly legal.
    There's no need to do business with his " wife" in the NFL.
    I'm not sure about the language in the MLB or The NBA's CBAs regarding family members but if the wife had a legit business , it may very well be legal.
    Remember part of LeBrons deal with Miami was that the Heat had to "hire " 16 members of his entourage......

QUOTE="JetsKickAss, post: 3595489, member: 2311"]
    But it IS illegal !!! It's a DIRECT circumvention of the salary cap. Cowboys and Redskins got nailed for INDIRECT circumvention of an oral agreement regarding the cap in a non-capped year !!!
    Prior to the last CBA signed in 2011........

16. JetsKickAss

I do not think that is remotely legal under the NFL's cap. No way...........

A legit business that didn't materially impact the cap. If a wife is an expert interior decorator and gets $250,000 per deal, I could see paying 2x or 3x that amount for a big job. But not $10 MM to do the job.

17. JetsKickAss

Where are you getting the figures from ? I recall Peyton Manning signing his Denver deal and leaving a few $$$ on the table, but he was a FA then and still signed a record-setting deal.

I do not recall a single Tom Brady contract that made him the highest-paid or 2nd-highest or 3rd-highest.

If you can find a single headline to the contrary, I'm prepared to admit I missed it.

18. TonyFtLaud

It's perfectly legal under the NFLs current CBA which is why the league can not do anything about the
    Patriots -TB12 deal.
    No business other than players salary
    materially impact the cap.
    Team owner can hire that "expert interior decorator" in your scenario to design a plan to remodel the club level of his stadium and over pay millions . That would not violate the CBA.
    Expect that to change in 2020 when the current CBA expires. Brady will likely retire at that time but he will still have his TB-12 income. The proper language will be included to prevent the legal circumvention of the cap. Untill then, it's perfectly legitimate.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is the correct answer.. He has all the money in the world. Him taking less money every year has lead to the team being better and him making more money on the side anyways by being the best quarterback ever.

Not to mention his wife is the bread winner anyways. If she was worth $4 million then Brady might be after more money. She's worth $360 fucking million. Their grandchildren will be bathing in hundreds.

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Seriously, at the point where you and your wife are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and your wife makes buttloads of money, for what possible reason can you justify kneecapping your team by demanding more salary instead of spreading it out to get better players and win Super Bowls?