Is Leonard Williams a bust ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Jan 1, 2018.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Joking with you dude. I never had a problem with you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

good to know. My new years resolutions usually last at least a couple of weeks.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lol, i didnt even pretend to have one this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

He is not a bust...he is just not producing like a top 10 pick. Too many of our first rounders have not produced according to their draft positions.

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

When the day comes and the Jets have a legit pass rusher, or two, that teams have to account for, then Williams will be able to perform at a very high level. His speed and strength are being negated because of schemes that teams are employing against him. Any team facing the Jets is going to load up and stop the best player on their D line when there is zero fear of anybody else getting to the QB...

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Williams did make the pro bowl last year. It seems the dline mostly went to shit. He'll be fine, the Jets just need to get an edge rusher and you will see things turn around. Mo has been pretty much useless and Lee can't tackle consistently.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A player wanting to leave has little or nothing to do with the salary cap, unless he's up for a new contract and the team doesn't have the money to pay him.

I think a player wanting to leave a team says a LOT negative about that team.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If Williams is a bust then you have to invent a new word for the rest of the Jets' first round picks for the last 25 years.

9. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I think that's the thing.. other teams would consider Williams a bust for being such a high pick but we are so used to Calvin Pryor type 1st round picks that we accept Williams mediocrity as a success.

The sad reality is that his 2 sacks and 44 tackles could easily be replaced by a cheap free agent

Jets69 likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's been good, solid not great. He hasn't been a Von Miller, Ray Lewis type dominator a team hopes to get when it drafts a defender that high.

Yet.

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Leonard Williams Rookie Year was promising and he was producing. This year, he regressed and didn’t make nearly enough plays behind the LOS.

The fact that he regressed this past season is more of an indictment of Bowles and Rodgers coaching abilities. Leo is a good player and showed that his rookie year, but I am concerned to have seen his play slip.

I personally think he needs to get stronger. Leo could stand to gains more muscle and perhaps lose a few Fat lbs. not saying he is out of shape, but he isn’t necessarily ripped either. Dude would be a force if he put on some muscle.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People that said Leonard Williams regressed don't understand the circumstances.
    He had 24 QB hits this year, thats a top 10 ranking I bet. The sacks aren't going to be there for an interior DL when he is constantly doubled and has little edge support. Regardless Leo disrupted and made plays.

So no Leo is not a bust.

13. 101GangGreen101

No. He needs an edge rusher to take the double teams away on every passing down. Yes, he needs to continue to refine his pass rushing moves, but he did not regress.

Harpua and Red Menace like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

In college he was a DT same as Wilkerson, but here they moved both of them to DE which in a 3-4 has different roles and expectations. As I've posted many times before, it's not reasonable to expect a 300 lb former DT to have the speed and agility to consistently get around schemed NFL blocking. As 101 said, he has 24 QB hits which means he's getting pressure on QBs and he has been more than solid against the run. I think he's doing an excellent job at his position, and although he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl, I feel he should have been and will eventually go as a substitute.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He ranked 7th in the league in QB hits, despite regularly being the only threat in our front seven to get pressure. I’m not sure if you not watching the game or just being negative to troll, but you take on Williams is vastly off if you think he brings the value of a cheap FA to the front seven of this team.

westiedog1 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't believe that for one second, and think that's utter nonsense. Busts don't make the Pro Bowl and aren't nominated for DROY. It's clear that Williams play has suffered from how Bowles and Rodgers have used him, and as a result of Mo's declining play and the loss of Snacks.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Considering our draft record I'd say Williams was a very good pick.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wilkerson had legit injuries early then Wilkerson bailed on him later. It's a team game, that's why he was recognized earlier in his career. The DL was better overall.
    They add a few more better players and there's a few guys that will look better.

Thanks to Wilkerson the job has gotten harder now. That's what pisses me off about Mo. He let down his teammates and coaches, and now they have an extra hole to fill to boot.

19. 101GangGreen101

They just need another linebacker IMO that can specialize in getting to the QB. Jenkins is great at setting the edge and helping in the run game, we just need another guy alongside him. This will open things up for Williams as well.

Harpua likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If the name came in as Brently Chubb I would be not confused, not happy, but not unhappy. He’s a guy that could make everyone on our defense better. Still I want a QB but I could really see Mac doing this.