Is Kevin Greene this teams future Head Coach in waiting?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good point. Westhoff is still pissed he didn't get any consideration for the HC job. The roster that Rex inherited went south fairly quickly too with the Tanny/Rex team.

hwismer, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

How much longer are we gonna lament about that asshole? And Pete Carroll's a better coach than Rex. Who gives a fuck now? I'm rooting for Bowles now. And if he doesn't get better I'll root for the next guy. I won't be comparing him to Rex either. But whoever gets a SB win I'll never shut up about it when it comes to Rex :)

RuJFan, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that puts in other factors though. factors out of the control of the defense. for instance QB throws a pick, defnese starts in the red zone. they hold them at a 3 and out but they kick a FG and get 3 points. it dings the defense despite them not letting up a yard. that's why the NFL doesn't do rank on points. You can't change the way defenses have been ranked in the NFL forever to suit your needs. Our poor offense backing up the defense (and leaving them out there tired all the time) hurt the points stats. matter of fact it's a miracle we ranked 6th with how shitty our offense was.

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If the defense was that good they would have done what you said, hold the other team to FGs, but the fact was they gave up more TDs than 24 other teams, passing TDs only 2 teams gave up more in 2014. Teams didn't have to settle for FGs.
    The NFL ranks everything but if you look at where they ranked as far as their record, the points allowed matches up pretty close to where they ranked in overall record, yards allowed not even close.

5. GasedAndConfused

except when teams normally travel 40 or less yards it's a punt. for us it was a TD because poor field position. our passing defense was average 14th in the NFL. our rush defense was top 5 and total defense 6th. that's how the NFL keeps track. Our offense was 5th worse scoring in the NFL. below the browns lol. we were 22nd in yards per game. we couldn't move the ball or score points. that kills a defense

let have some perspective The pats and bellichick are always known for a good defense right? NE had the 11th ranked offense and their defense ranked 13th. and yet jet fans are complaining about a 6th ranked defense with shit for offense which hampered them.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Precisely. Age played a big part in that, as most of the best players in 2009 were 28 or older, but Rex and Tanny are also responsible for destroying the chemistry on the team and getting rid of some of the younger players who were solid contributors, and missing badly in the draft.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/new-york-jets-team-roster?season=2009
    In 2009, the Jets starters were as follows:

Offense
    Mark Sanchez, QB (22)
    Thomas Jones, RB (30)
    Tony Richardson, FB (37)
    Dustin Keller, TE (24)
    Braylon Edwards, WR (26)
    Jerricho Cothchery, WR (27)
    Nick Mangold, C (25)
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LT (25)
    Alan Faneca, LG (32)
    Damien Woody, RT (31)
    Brandon Moore, RG (29)

Defense
    Shaun Ellis, DE (32)
    Kris Jenkins, NT (29)
    Marques Douglas, DE (32)
    David Harris, ILB (25)
    Bart Scott, ILB (28)
    Calvin Pace, OLB (28)
    Bryan Thomas, OLB (30)
    Darrelle Revis, CB (24)
    Lito Shephard, CB (28)
    Jim Leonard, SS (26)
    Kerry Rhodes, FS (26)

The average age of the starters was 28.

Key depth/solid contributors:
    Sione Po'uha, NT (30)
    James Ihedigbo, S (25)
    Mike DeVito, DE (25)
    Howard Green, DE (30)
    Matt Slauson, OG (23)
    Leon Washington, RB (26)
    Rob Turner, OG (24)
    Wallace Wright, ST (25)
    Donald Strickland, CB (28)
    Dwight Lowery, S (23)
    Justin Miller, ST/KOR (25)
    Drew Coleman, CB (25)
    Ahmad Carroll, CB (25)
    Jay Feely, K (33)

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/new-york-jets-team-roster?season=2010

By 2010, gone were valuable starters and players like Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, Leon Washington, Howard Green, Marques Douglas, Ahmad Carroll, Jay Feely, Kerry Rhodes, and there was a huge turnover in defensive depth.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/new-york-jets-team-roster?season=2011
    By 2011, gone were Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Braylon Edwards, Dwight Lowery, Brad Smith, STS gunner & top performer Wallace Wright, Ben Hartsock, and valuable blitzers James Ihedigbo and Drew Coleman.

In the draft, in 2009 the Jets had a 3-player draft: Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson. In the 2010 draft, the Jets had a 4-player draft: Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight and John Conner. It doesn't get any worse than that. Is there any wonder, the wheels ran off?

In the 2011 draft, the Jets actually drafted 6 players, but only 2 remain on the Jets: Mo Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Greg McElroy and Scotty McKnight. So out of 3 drafts, the Jets only have 2 players still on the team.

7. The Waterboy

NE #8 in points allowed in 2014, so they gave up more yards but considerably less points than the Jets, thanks for proving my point that yards per game is not the best indicator of how good a defense is

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wouldn't those short field drives you are claiming hurt the scoring d rankings help the total yard rankings though?making them not as reliable a factor? Truth is you can use the numbers to make it what ever you want(except a 6th ranked d top 5) but if you watched you know the d wasn't the feared unit it was in 2009-2010. I don't care what numbers you pull out,eyes don't lie

9. GasedAndConfused

which proves MY point that our offense was pitiful and always backing the defense up against a wall. If we let up 30 yards and it's a TD and NE lets up 50 yards and it's a punt, how is that the fault of the defense?

yes it would do that, but look at denver. they were 3rd in defense and didn't let up much less in points then we did. If you want to be more objective and say look at yards per play, we were middle of the pack but only 1 position behind NE letting up only .1 more YPP then they did.

regardless of that, point remains that NFL ranks defense by total yards. we were never worse then top 6 in that category under rex. meaning that we never had worse then a top 6 defense under rex which was my only point. whether people here feel that stat is meaningless or overrated is irrelevant. It's how the NFL ranks defense. period.

and no it wasn't as good as 2009-2010. we are all aware of that. that wasn't the point. the point was rex always had a top ranked defense in the NFL for us and that is true

10. FJF

That is some junc-esqu type arguing there

11. The Waterboy

Not sure how that proves your point, the P*ts defense has been bend but don't break for years, it allows them to give up yards but not many points, a good defense. Rex's D was of the we'll get them next time design but they never seemed to get them the next time.

How you can think giving up the 3rd most passing TDs and 25th most TDs overall is not on the defense is mind boggling.

FJF likes this.
  12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

24th ranked, but top-5 best?

ColoradoContrails, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  13. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

I thought jets fans loathed defensive head coaches on this team? Besides that, making a jump from position to head coach seems quite a reach. Why am i even responding (fuckin jets)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't forget:
    Third down efficiency (30th)
    Red zone efficiency: (25th)
    Takeaways: (32nd)
    Interceptions: (30th, but tied for last)
    Interception rate: (30th)
    Forced fumbles: (28th)
    Fumbles recovered: (22nd)
    None of this is on the top 5 D !!!!!

15. GasedAndConfused

that's some awesome goalpost moving and dodging of a point when you realized you were wrong. You should run for office and claim facts as fake news while your at it
    "bend but don't break" is an overrated term for teams with a bad defense that made some timely plays

It's not what I think, it's what the NFL uses to rank defenses. that's the point you guys are missing. according to the NFL the jets had the 6th ranked defense in 2014. period. it's not an opinion or anything to be debated. ti's a fact. whether you think we played well enough to earn that rating is another thing.

another way to look at it is if a CB leads the NFL in INTs with say 10, but also leads the NFL in TDs given up (say 20) the fact he clearly got beat a lot, doesn't take away the fact he led the NFL in INTs.

16. GasedAndConfused

Didn't revis had a year with like 1 INT but was still the top CB rated by many because teams just never threw at him and he barely let up catches?

17. FJF

Show me where I said something wrong?

18. GasedAndConfused

ok i take it back. you didn't it was mostly the ftlaud alt account and a couple other posters

19. TonyFtLaud

Not in 2014 !
    If that were the case the Jets would have ranked much higher than 30th in interception rate.
    Why can't you realize your wrong and move on.

20. TonyFtLaud

Double post.