Is Idzik the worst GM we've ever had?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm in my late 20's so I've followed the team since Parcells took over, which has been a relatively decent stretch considering our overall history.

Coming in, I thought Idzik would be good for us as we saw how Tanny got us into the worst contracts and I initially thought Idzik's approach was better. In theory, his philosophy makes sense: build through the draft, always have open competition, and don't overspend on free agents. In reality, the only thing he did right was the last one and opened up a ton of cap space for us.

Right now 6 of 17 of Idzik's picks remain. Next year that number will probably go down to 4 (Richardson, Pryor, Enunwa, and maybe Winters). He did bring Decker and Ivory here, but the rest of cast were mediocre guys like Giacomini, Vick, Chris Johnson, and that god awful Dimitri Patterson. He's certainly been the worst in the past 15 or so years of this franchise.

To those older Jets fans who've been a fan for longer than I have, would you say Idzik is the worst GM we've ever had?

#1 Quinnenthebeast, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kotite had some GM power. Idzik's 12-20 record was bad but Kotite went 4-16.

3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Meh, he got us Richardson, Pryor and Enunwa who should all be pretty big contributors this year.

4. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Team wins are only one small portion of a GM's job. He is the worst I have seen in my lifetime as a Jets fan

5. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I'd say the worst over a 2 year span. And it's 6 of 19 picks and we are still paying $1.8 million in dead money for the extension he gave Jeremy Kirley. This link is from GGN but it's the best summary I ever read on Idzik. I thought he would be good too but I was very wrong.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/29/7459489/john-idzik-a-reign-of-error

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was terrible primarily because he didn't understand the mentality of NY and Jets fans in particular. His plan was to build for the future and threw Ryan under the bus in the process. Mac had what 50-60 million to spend in his first year? He is the guy we need to be judging a year or two from now, he had everything to start his career.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He was so bad I will never buy into that "We're going to build through the draft" again! If he isn't proof that building only through the draft is a terrible idea..... I don't know what the hell is.

Mac's a damn good GM and he rightly uses every way possible to get us talent. Idzik plan was on par with the voyage plan of the Titanic.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

bradway traded a first round pick for doug jolley and then took a kicker in the 2nd.

*drops keyboard

9. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

I forgot about that. It's been some rough times as a Jet fan but I think we're headed in the right direction.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

don't forget about boobway trading TWO number 1 picks in 2003 (one of which was compensation for boobway losing 2002 mvp Coles to Redskins) AND a 4th round pick for short, fat Dwayne Robertson

alleycat9, TNJet, ajax and 1 other person like this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

At that point in time Jolley didn't even have 1,000 yards in his career. He barely had years with more than 30 catches. We traded a 1st for a TE that only had 5 TD's 3 years into his career lol.

12. FJF

oh, i hadn't forgotten. just didn't feel the need to run up the score.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. FJF

and we could have taken heath miller with that pick.

TNJet likes this.
  14. FJF

here's the thing with idzick, the whole situation was terrible. from the same scouting dept to keeping rex it was a recipe for failure. his drafts ended up being horrible and thats on his resume but when yau look at the drafts just prior and remember it was with the same scouts it shouldn't be a surprise.he was a bit conservative and coupled with bad drafting he was pretty much doomed but his worst mistake was taking the job in the first place. i put the blame for his 2 years on woody more than anyone. he should have either cleaned house or kept tanny for another year of do or die.

my to scents, flame away

15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The thing I could never understand about Bradway was that until Mac got here, Bradway never really went away.

I think he is at fault for a great deal of the long term damage done to the team over the years. One of his best moves was that he supposedly wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bradway was awful. Kotite was a better GM than HC, but was pretty bad as a GM. To my recollection, Dick Steinberg was pretty awful as well, but at least he had an excuse...he was dying of stomach cancer. I can't remember who was GM after Weeb Ewbank, but he must have been pretty awful, because the team went down hill quickly for a number of years.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hes almost as bad as choosing Mauldinthebeast as a username.MauldinTheBust will be more fitting after this season hes looked awful so far this year

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he can change it to BigCatBeastinglikeamutherfucker.
    You just can't fix Idziksucks

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

idzik definitely the worst GM we've ever had..

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

One thing I will always remember about Izdick is that 2014 draft. I hated every single pick made. (looks like I might be wrong about Pryor) ... But mostly I hated that he had 97 late round picks and he sat his ass on it. I don't usually bring this stuff up because I am wrong a lot myself anyway but I remember arguing until I couldn't take it anymore with people on here about how stupid that was!!

I will never understand why anyone would think thats a good idea. They were sitting on great trade bait. Move up in the 2nd round, package together and get another 3rd or 4th or a veteran or freakin anything but for the love of god don't waste the picks by taking shitty late round players!!!!!

Look at Mccagnan, who might just be an average GM who knows. He takes these late round picks and brings in Brandon Marshall (send 5th), Ryan Fitzpatrick (sent 6th), Ryan Clady (sent 5th). A freakin STUD WR we haven't had in decades, a Starting QB and a Starting LT with pro bowl history.

Izdick, blessed with more ammo than that! Brought in 12 shitty players. Half the late round guys he sat and decided to pick didn't even make the team their rookie years.You can't just throw shit at the wall and have it work. Talent wins.

slimjasi, tomdeb and NYJetsO12 like this.