Is anyone gonna give them credit?... Some O-Line Luv.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Or run the ball more, it’s not just about protecting him from the pass rush, it’s about letting others carry the load as well. Powel with 5 rushing attempts is not good for this team.

Let Crowell and Powell both rush the rock for 20 attempts each. single back formation with a TE to help run block works very well and gives them the opportunity for PA pass.

They don’t have to run a goaline offensive formation to protect Sam. Reduce empty backfield formations for the time being.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

EXACTLY !!

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This seems to me to be so obvious. If nothing else, yesterday's game should remove any notion from the week before that this team is going to have a high-powered offense. It's just not possible with this line. They need to accept that it's actually better when Darnold throws for 170 than when he throws for 334.

4. No disagreement. They were simply not commited to the run on sunday.The times they did seemed forced & predictable. The Dolphins did a decent job but there looked to be some creases if they had shown alittle more patience.

Your final point poses an interesting follow up: Darnold for 170 might be best for the 2018 jets but the 334 is likely better for Darnold(if hevstays upright)Perhaps the post 2019 Jets as well?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

No, I'm not going to go there, because of the 170 we're talking about - not 30 dink and dunk passes for 170, but a well-rounded 170 on 20 passes that include passes down the field and passes on the run as well. The Jets got 34 points on offense against Detroit on 198 yards passing - I'll take 28 on 170 every time, and that will be great for his development.

334 for the 2019 Jets with their three new high-quality starters on the OL would be a very different thing.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I dunno if they haver to go to those lengths, at least all the time, but they sure do need to come up with some ways to keep the pass rush honest. be that quick passes, screens, draws, and go no huddle for some stretches. I believe the die is cast and they have to play Sam, better or worse, but I'm going to be holding my breath. The good news is if he survives without major injury he's going to learn a LOT.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. From a pure quality & progression based perspective i agree. However..Darnold is one who learns by doing & making mistakes which also seems to result in progress. My point being that often w these type of athletes exposure is the best method for development early on.In this case that would mean as many drop backs in as many different scenarios as possible results may vary. I understand the OL is a factor as is the context of game to game situations but its an interesting topic bc of Darnold’s learning style

8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised that Beachum and Carpenter (Left side) have been the problem so far this year. Not only getting beat but dumb penalties.

CBG likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im not,,as I posted a few times early on ( and caught some flack for it ) was that guys on the O line need time to play together and gel ,and these guys and the entire group did not play 1 preseason game all together and intact . That said even though others tried to tell me that I was wrong and they said how surprised we would all be by the O line , I did not think this patchwork group was very good . I think when we go against decent or good front 7's we and Darnold are in trouble. There is still time lets see how this experiment and the rest of the games play out. Hopefully our FQB does not get killed in the process .

Cman68 likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Carpenter has struggled in zone blocking schemes in the past, that's how we ended up with him. I didn't figure he was going to turn that corner this late in his career. He has been an awesome Jet, but his play was deteriorating last year, and the scheme change did him no favors.

Cman68 and CBG like this.
  11. Hayden

Hayden Active Member

Probably the first and only time I’ll say it this season but the oline put in work today, they really deserve some credit for Crowell’s and Powell’s big games, also kept a pretty clean pocket for Darnold turns out he can make some decent throws when he isn’t running for his life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree. And really odd that it came against a team with two great pass rushers. I'll credit Bates (grudgingly) too for a game plan that neutralized this pass rush.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Aside from the high shotgun snaps the line was the bomb today

No false starts
    No holding penalties
    Time for Sam
    And huge holes in run game

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

They played excellent @ Detroit but today was their best performance to date.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not gonna pretend that the OL doesn't need to be upgraded, but the unit played great today. Maybe the guys needed time to gel. Let's see how it looks in upcoming games.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I've been the biggest detractor of our O-line, but 300+ rushing can not be argued with.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

those high snaps are disturbing though. sam's doing a good job not turning them into catastrophes but they need to be fixed asafp

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Miller 1 tackle 1 assist

Chubb 1 tackle 1 assist

Marshall 1 tackle 3 assists

They shut down Miller and Chubb, it may be the only game all season I’d say it as well but the O-Line did a good job.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought miller looked fat

joe likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So if half of the games going forward the OL goes from the sh@thouse to the penthouse it means we give them all a few dollars more?? Plus extensions?

Bargain basement Mac thinks that's a great idea Iam sure!

Prob will kick that OL issue can for 2 more years and get some depth on Defense come Springtime