Is another New England Super Bowl title inevitable this season?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Dec 26, 2017.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree they should be the favorite, but the impetus for this thread is woe is me, poor Jet fan insecurity that it’s a foregone conclusion. The Pats have probably been favored to win the Super Bowl as the playoffs started for a decade, and they only have won twice. Nothing about them being favored should instigate such a vagina thread as this.

Dierking and zace like this.
  2. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

Folks may be looking at the three other QBs and might be thinking that they will not be able to keep pace with the Pats offense even given how good the other three Ds are on those teams.

And to be honest in the 6 years from 2011-2016, the pats were favored in most of the games, except 2013 AFCCG. But our D was not the best in 2011-2013, our best DB was Talib who got injured on both 2012 and 2013 CGs. Gronk was either hobbled or not playing in 2011, 12 and 13. We were the most injured team in 2013, and so on. In '15 we had so many folks on the mend that we try to half play the last two games of the season against Mia and the Jets and lost both costing us HFA in exchange for health, and so on.

So of those 6 years we won 2 SB, 33% of the time, not too shabby. In our two most healthy years we won the SB.

This year we are fairly healthy, perhaps among the best of the last 7 years and given what appears to be weaker QB opposition folks think we have a better chance than years past.

Time will tell, Jax will be a very tough challenge as they have the kind of D that can give us fits. Indeed, we lost to your jets in 2010.

3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Coughlin is no dummy and the Jets could use his wisdom. Does this guarantee victory over the Pats, no. But I can see the Jets improving with him. He definitely helped the Jags who were 3-13 last year.

4. Patriot

We can't forget special teams also. A missed FG or muffed punt return can be the difference also. I think this will be a compelling game I hope.

5. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

I agree. Anything can happen. I was worried about the Tenn game too, and we were not doing well till about midway through the second qtr and then was able to turn it on. If we play like that for four qtrs against Jax then it will be a long night. We need to focus and bring out game.

If our D can contain the Jax O that will be a big help and should give us enough breathing room to weather a key turnover or key play by Jax on special teams.

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yes. As they cruise to another ref assisted AFC Title

dogg likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys ...but this was a well contested game..penalties and calls aside completely enjoyable entertainment

Boos to the Pats for another win...legitimate credit to Amendola (that Jet killer) and of course the GOAT

Notice the half time adjustments by Vince lombardi Jr Bellicheat...whom the Jets said goodbye to many yeras ago..sigh

BTW Tony Romo doing a great job IMO..called alot of plays pronto

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We didn't say goodbye to him he quit

and I hope him and the goat suffer severe paralyzing strokes and die painfully in bed over many years of intense suffering

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol he quit on a Napkin?...yep yer right

Still...history could have been changed for us...I dont like the Pats but I respect the Brain Trust..thats all

10. Patriot

This is a classic example of how the Patriots over the years just rip the beating hearts out of their opponents like an Aztec priest. It is bad enough to lose a game, but when you see victory so close and it is taken away it is very devastating for a team. I have been watching football for a long time and I can tell you we will probably never see anything like this football team for the rest of our lives.

NYJetsO12 and AlexJETS like this.
  11. Patriot

I hope your words don't come back to bite you and you pass peacefully with dignity. I can understand that they annoy you but they are not serious criminals who have killed or rape anyone are they?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

You give Belicheat 2 weeks to prepare against your team you have zero chance to win.

Patriot likes this.
  13. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

As nice as it would be see the Eagles pull it off, its not going to happen.

I believe after last years near debacle, the Patriots finally breeze to a Super Bowl victory with ease.

I would love to be wrong, but I fear Philly just unloaded everything on Minnesota. If Foles can manage that again though, the Eagles can take the title home, its just asking A LOT for any QB to repeat that performance, let alone a guy who was a backup for most of the season. I think this is one of the few times a team is actually playing with house money in the Super Bowl.....Eagles are likely only just getting started, a loss here wont devastate them the way it has other teams (Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, 49ers, etc).

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yup.

And when the team is back to irrelevance 90% of the fickle fan base will go back to not knowing there’s football in New England.

Thing that pisses me off about your fan base? You all seem so entitled and now programmed with expectations of winning, you abandon your team at the first sign of adversity.

Case in point. My friend from college, a 34 year old “lifelong” fan, attended the game yesterday. Kid posted on social media “Well it was a good run” when the Patriots were down 10.

Same kid turned the SB off last year.

Patriot and dogg like this.
  15. Ontherise

Ontherise Member

Anecdotally, you know a guy... thus the Patriot fan base is fickle?

It's a stretch. As if that guy is the first person to turn off a playoff game where his team trailed by 25... or, post something sad on social media. Things were rough in the early 90's - but starting with Parcells, up through today... outside of a few seasons of the Red Sox has probably been the #1 sport in New England. That's over 20 years!

What I think you do see is the psychological damage this extended period of dominance has done to the fans of some rival teams (like the Jets). Think about it... you've got Jets fans that are probably in their mid.. possibly late 20's... and have known almost nothing other than looking up at Brady and Belichick. The frustration, the envy, the bitter rationalization... it's palpable.

16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Psychological damage my ass. We're not the ones on other teams message boards. Why must Patriot fans come into a Jets message board during their run to the SB? Funny we didn't see any Bills fans here during their week of the playoffs this year of the Fins fans during their playoff game last year.

Are the Pats message boards that bad? Aren't your fellow fans interesting enough? I could just as easily say that many Pats fans (however nice they might be) come onto to Jets boards to gloat a little or to see "how the other half lives". Of course, I would never say that :).

I don't envy Patriot fans and I don't suspect many Jets fans do either. The fact that the Pats have been dominate over many years doesn't make their fan-base any more knowledgeable, loyal, or insightful than the Jets fans. It just means that the team they root for happens to be better.

#76 johnny, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  17. dogg

dogg Member

If it was Wentz at QB then I'd give the Eagles a remote longshot against the Refs/Pats. But Foles = no shot. They won't get anywhere near 38.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  18. Patriot

It may seem like that, but the Giants did defy this rule twice.

You would think all the games the Pats win closely would be followed by almost an equal amount of games they lose closely. Then again this could be explained by experience which both TB and TB both have. I still think you can't rule out Philly, they are very good.

19. Patriot

Yes their are many fair weather fans in my area and even in my own family!

In last year's Super Bowl when the Pats were losing big, certain visiting members of my family wanted to change the channel and watch something else. They were sent to another room to watch what ever TV channel they wanted. When they heard noise of a Patriot comeback they wanted to renter the room. I would not allow it and I declared only real fans allowed here. Go back to your other TV room, sorry Mom and sis!

GQMartin likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lol. Good man.