Ira on the FAN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chaddaboy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

well like DeathbyJets said, a trade cannot be announced until 3/3.

so, if it is indeed Abe for Ramsey/Arrington, i assume today's conference won't be announcing it?

In any event, I really really don't want Ramsey. But picking up Arrington for Abe would greatly satisfy me; especially if this is part of the plan in switching to the 3-4. Wow -- Vilma, Arrington, and Barton alone is scary. Almost any other "average" LB can be thrown in there and succeed (i.e. Hobson).

cheers

2. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

Do you guys know what time the press conference is?

Thanks

3. kelly

kelly Banned

The Jets have engaged in discussions with the Redskins about Patrick Ramsey.
    Many observers believe the Jets are targeting Jay Cutler with the fourth pick in the Draft. In that scenario, they would acquire a mid-level like Ramsey or Jon Kitna to pair with him. Chad Pennington would be released. Feb. 22 - 12:03 pm et
    Source: Newsday

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The official site is back up but no mention of a press conference

5. The Uniform Bomber

blast! so the only source of this alleged press conference is the FAN?

if this trade for Ramsey is for real, it better not be just Ramsey in the package. If so, then the 'Skins will have owned us yet again. But, with Arrington part of that deal, I think it's okay because I can live with Ramsey starting for a year; more so, I like Ramsey as the backup/competing for the starting role with whoever else we bring in.

cheers

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

With the way the Jets' recent press events have turned into amateur hour, I'll eagerly await this next installment. :rolleyes:

I suggest everyone come out wearing eye-black. You know, reinforce the "game face" concept.

7. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Living outside of DC, I'll say that Arrington is a tremendously overhyped player. He has never lived up to his reputation coming out of school. It wasn't until he was benched this year that he started to perform. He may work out for us, but I am a not too sure. Career stats over 6 seasons:

318 Tackles
    22.5 sacks
    3 Ints (all in one season)
    10 Forced Fumbles

OK....but not great. Worse than his stats is that he rarely has made a game-changing play....only a couple I can remember.

8. The Uniform Bomber

i'll admit he hasn't lived up to his hype. but, he also played several seasons on a D that wasn't very good. I think if you look at this past season, when they benched Arrington there was a big drop-off. when they brought him back into the lineup, it almost looked like a different D.

now, you put him along side Vilma and Barton, and that's a pretty stacked LB corps. furthermore, don't under-estimate, "change of scenery." sometimes, that works wonders for players who've played in one place their entire careers.

i just really like this idea because then we're not merely giving Abe away or getting nothing in return for him. At least we get a player who, contrary to what you said, does change games, albeit not enough recently.

cheers

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I live in the MD/DC area and even some people around here think he's overhyped. He's a fan favorite, and the radio guys and the beatwriters who cover the deadskins think that the Skins were making a huge mistake by benching him. They couldn't generate any pass rush without him.

The biggest knock on him is that he is always out of position trying to be a hero, not trusting his teammates. That is a defense killer. He overpursues, gambles on plays and leaves teammates vulnerable. He's done it his whole career and thats why Williams benched him. I can't see Sutton and Mangini really coveting a player that doesn't play into a scheme and play their role so I see it as unlikely that the Jets would want Arrington. But stranger things have happened. But Arrington and Dan Snyder HATE each other so I can see Snyder trying to get rid of him at all costs.

10. The Uniform Bomber

very good points about Arrington. i agree that he is often too aggressive. however, his athleticism is undeniable and he's still fairly young; therefore, i don't think you can give up a on guy like this just yet. what if he learns to harness his aggeression and over-pursuit, and learns to trust his teammates and play within a scheme? then those knocks disappear and what's left is a darn good LB.

cheers

11. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Gregg Williams actually by benching him got him to sit back and realize he needs to be a team player. So like someone mentioned. a change of scenery, and new CS, along with lessons learned in DC could have him playing at a high level...provided he stays healthy. He is the DC version of JA.

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Or... How about:

Arrington - Hawk - Vilma - Barton? :eek:hmy:

:beer:

13. The Uniform Bomber

wow, that could be the best paper LB corps ever.

only problem i see with that is, we'd have 3 OLB's (Arrington, Barton, Hawk) and only 1 ILB (Vilma). Unless one of them can move to ILB - which i don't think would work - we'd have to plug in someone like Hobson next to Vilma as the other ILB; that isn't too farfetched considering Hobson played some ILB at Michigan. Furthermore, I think he can re-learn it since we just hired Michigan's D-coordinator as our LB's Coach.

cheers

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't like that trade...

We give:
    Abe

The give:
    Ramsey and Arrington

They are basically giving us two guys that were BOTH benched...thanks but no thanks...

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If we are gonna trade Abe it has to be for either Rivers or draft picks. We don't need to be trading our best D player for some other teams trash. I'm not high on Ramsey or Arrington.Doesn't Arrington have a huge contract anyway??

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Theres no way we are trading for a linebacker who won't be part of the system. Arringtons issue last year was that he wanted to free lance and do what he wanted on each play. Thats why Williams benched him. No way Manbaum goes after a player like that. They want players that fit their system who are coachable.

17. The Uniform Bomber

i respect this point of view and it's an accurate assessment of Arrington. But who's to say that he won't change on another team in another system? Arrington has demonstrated game-changing ability in the past and if he's tamed, he's one of the best OLB's in the league.

In run D, Abe does his own thing too. He takes poor angles and tries to beat Tackles so far outside that RB's run right by him, where he's supposed to be. He's gotten better at this and improved his rush defense. Therefore, why can't Arrington learn to do the same in regards to his flaws?

cheers

18. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Don't be an IRA. Trading period doesn't start until 3/3. Even my 8 year old knows that.

"Raise the bar"- Michael Francesa, the most important figure in NY sports media history

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

Sounds like a plan

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

So what happened to the press conference, anybody know?