Intriguing training camp battles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PMCRW, Aug 1, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

[​IMG]

Jets LB: David Harris v. Eric Barton

Barton is the veteran who knows the position and the system, while Harris, the second-round pick out of Michigan, has instincts, speed and youth on his side. Barton has been consistent for the Jets in the past, but as long as Harris can learn the system, his playmaking ability may give him the edge.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...0707/training.camp.battles.nfl/content.1.html

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Harris definitely looks a lot scarier.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Much..........

4. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Holy crap, check out Barton's knee. Scars from operations? Or just banged up? And wow, Harris is HUGE!

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Now I understand why people where reporting that Harris seems to be playing a bodyguard role for Vilma.

6. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

According to NFL.com

Barton is 6-2 and weighs 245

Harris is 6-2 and weighs 243

(for reference they list Vilma at 6-1 and 230 -- which I think is an exaggeration)

Harris really isnt bigger than Barton. The pictures are taken from different differences and the players and in different physical positions.

FWIW Barton is a pretty intimidating competitor. Harris will have to go some to beat him out and be more effective than Barton this season.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

His knee was the first thing I noticed. WoW that's a mess!

And yeah, I don't give a crap what their weights are, Barton is NOT as big as Harris as far as I can tell.

8. Pam

Check out Harris's calf muscles. :eek:hmy: He's got some power in those legs.

9. Pride

Pride New Member

I dont think people understand the line that every scout says on Harris. He doesnt miss tackles. Look at his Michigan tape. When he puts his hands on you, you go down

10. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Ahh . . . I see. Your one of those "dont me with the facts, I know I'm right and they're wrong kind of guys."

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

yup. Just looking at the picture I get the feeling there's no way Barton could beat out Harris from a physical standpoint. Even the looks on their faces, Harris looks very determined and ready to take on anything while Barton looks tired and defeated.

12. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Are you saying people who weigh the same, have to be the same exact size? Harris is bigger than Barton.

13. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

You guys crack me up! It's one picture! One split second from hours of practice is being compared here....

Another view of it may be that it's not so much determination on his face, it could be confusion/thinking whereas Barton already knows where he is going and is more comfortable.

As far as who is bigger? I'm willing to bet that the numbers Ambrose posted are fairly accurate. And it doesn't matter at all who is bigger anyway. I'm not trying to rip on Harris or anything, but just because the guy is more muscular looking doesn't mean he's a better player or anything along those lines. Hell, it could just be a difference of age, Harris is still young and his body shows it, his skin and muscles are tight. Whereas Barton has been through nine seasons, which undoubtedly has taken it's toll on his appearance, but that doesn't mean he isn't as strong as Harris.

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Barton is a street brawler. Dont let a little flab fool you. He could probably kick Harris' ass. Well that speculative of course but experience and a mean streak will get you far. Harris has a lot to learn.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Nope. I'm more of a "use proper English and we can talk" kind of guys.

Looking at both pictures, Harris is the more impressive looking. Happy now?

16. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

No I'm not saying that. However, people who are the same height and within 2 pounds of the same weight are usually about the same size. Harris' muscles may appear to be bigger and they may be bigger -- some people (as a result of their DNA) can appear to be more cut than others even if their carrying the same amount of muscle and strength.

I was merely trying to point out that people here were making way too much out of one set of photographs.

17. Pam

I wasn't knocking Barton at all. I was commenting on how well built Harris is. I know Barton is a brawler with 9 seasons under his belt. I'm just anxious to see what Harris is made of. It's all good. :grin:

18. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Perhaps I could have used an editor on my previous post. Your pedantic attack on my typing and writing skills have put me in my place. However, since the point of writing is communication, I believe that your second line indicates that I , in fact, communicated my intent quite clearly.

I would agree that Harris is the more impressive "looking" specimen. The proof will be in how well he actually plays compared to Barton.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to imply Harris was better, doing a better job, going to win the job or anything like that. I was simply commenting on the picture.

You make a good point though.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Of course it is. I never denied that. All we were doing was commenting on the images in the first place.