In hindsight, do you think Rex should have been fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Aug 15, 2013.

?

Do you think Rex should have been fired in January?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

118 vote(s)
    73.8%
  1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I personally think maybe it would have been for the best. His comments have been extremely bizarre, and his handling of the QB situation even more so. Confusing how he is ho hum about Sanchez's mistakes, but called Geno's practice 'brutal'. Weird.

2. ArmandJ

Also, we would have been able to better plan for the future with a clean slate

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I can see the argument for it, but don't feel like we needed to completely start over. He may not know shit about offense, or be a complete coach to word it differently, but we're contenders with him. Our D will always be legit with him. All we need is a GM who is strict with his money, and an offensive coordinator who isn't terrible.

People have said he is just a glorified coordinator, and maybe he is, but he represents the team well, and obviously players love to play for him.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

In my opinion no. How he handles the media is one thing.... and it could be better, but its truly the fuckin media that distorts and microanalyzes everything he says. In terms of on the field, he has a +500 record with Mark fucking Sanchez as his QB for 4 years. I think its clear if we get any sort of complimentary football under RR we will contend. You dont know that with a lot of current HCs and I dont see any upgrades any time soon unless Gruden decides to come back.

5. ArmandJ

My issue is, at some point you have to be a fair head coach. Geno had a bad practice..fine, it happens. Don't sit there and call it brutal and then be ho-hum when your vet throws a Pick 6 on a screen pass in a preseason game.

Also, at least have a working knowledge on the offense

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He has to have a working knowledge of offense in order to be such a good defensive schemer. I mean, Norv Turner's offense put up one less yard of production than ours in 2012. I think its obvious it was a personnel problem for him, no? Similarly, RR has had some pretty shitty offensive depth charts while hes been here. I dont see Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy doing anything for their defenses. Everyone specializes on one side of the ball.

As for the perceived favoritism, thats subjective. I dont detect it, I remember him fuming on day one of camp after Sanchez fucked up.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I loved that Rex called Geno's performance brutal this is the opposite of the coddling they gave you know who.

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

he used the word BRUTAL! oh noes!

no, he should not have been fired. though his mouth should have been stapled shut perhaps...

he deserves another 2 years to get us back in my opinion. I feel like people are too ready to jump ship with coaches, let him stick with another regime and lets see where we're at with a capable team underneath him.

he bombs this year move on.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Yeah

A fresh start was needed

10. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

He never said Smith was brutal.

He said he had a brutal practice. Which he did. 4 picks against the scout team defense is brutal.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

No.
    How many 'polished' HCs are out there to be had?
    Who are the bright young guns coming through?

I think there is a lot to be said by sticking with a HC and giving them a fair crack. Rex has taken us to the champ game twice and still has a winning record, hardly credentials for firing.
    This year is the beginning, we have Marty running the O and Rex doing what he does best, D.
    As a HC I think Rex still has a lot to learn but I am more than willing to see him through this season and next

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

There should be a "Nigga, you crazy" option.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

No need for that

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

2 vs the scout team D

Still bad

1 off of Spadolas hands

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I didn't want Rex gone until he started showing favoritism toward Mark last year. The tattoo coupled with starting the worst QB week in and out did it for me. I hope he gets that Mark is his achilles heel before it is too late.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Rex is a good coach. The amount of production he gets out of the talent that's given to him on defense is amazing. He's just really efficient. The fact that we can field an above average to top defense every single year is really taken for granted by certain Jet fans who suffer from the Yankee effect (people who were spoiled by the Yankees success/ability to outbid all other teams in the last 2 decades, and thus boo any Jet that doesn't immediately produce).

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

A bird in hand > Two in the forest.

People just don't value what they have until they lose it.

Such is life.

After all, human stupidity knows no bounds.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

No you don't fire the winningest coach in Jets history,But I felt that Mr T deserved one more year with Rex to try and unsink the ship because once the new Gm came in the Rex clock will hit zero . After trading Revis if we fire Rex this year with the bums our Gm put on the field it might be enough to push me over the edge and no longer be a fan.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What is wrong with some Jet fans, Do they just love rebuilding every 5 years because they know nothing else . Fire Rex who brought us to six playoff games in a a year n a half, if he did it twice he can do it again, and he did it regardless of Sanchez, could u imagine how good we would be under Rex if we had a good offense

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

And why haven't we had a good offense

Because of who he chooses to play QB