Improving the O-Line before Week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 17, 2018.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How's that cloud above you today ?

Still black ?

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I guarantee he will address it next year. We’ve had too many holes to fill. I think we are a pass rusher and a couple of offensive linemen away from being a good team.

3. There were alot of things working against addressing the OL this offseason

1.Limited talent pool in FA & Draft
    2. Prime offensive FA’s werent gonna sign here
    3. Limited draft picks due to trade up
    4.Implementing new scheme w new OL coach
    5. Cohesion factor:W.o major upgrades as option(see 1-4) it made sense to bring back 4/5 starters & upgrade weakest link
    6. Rookie QB in house-It does make some sense to take pause &see what type of protection will suit Darnold best w his unique pocket movements

There was no sense in forcing the issue w all of this in mind.Rebuilding takes time.Hopefully next offseason this becomes a main focal point.All 5 spots could all be up for long term replacement.In the meantime this is an average OL w good cohesion playing in a scheme designed to limit individual weaknesses.

On another note, gonna start sounding like a broken record. Lets not forget an elite offensive skill. We maybe headed in the right direction & much better than we have been but unless one of the youngsters truly ascends we have to have at least one blue chip talent who Sam can count on for meaningful production on a week to week basis. Adding this type of talent only makes everyone already here even better & furtherdefines individual roles.WR/TE/RB take your pick..but weve gotta have one & its just as important as fixing the OL

Theres long been this unspoken overprioritzation of OL at the expense of skill among Jets fans. Both aspects are important & by no means should one cancel out the other under any circumstance. Feel like weve needed a true playmaker under 29 years old who isnt a rental forever now. We dont accept “good enough” from the OL why do we accept it from the guys who actually score the team points?

#23 KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2018
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

He "addresses" it every off season by signing a scrub free agent. He never uses draft capital to invest in the OL (like every other team does). He is even on record stating he thinks a team can build an OL with "mid round draft picks and free agents." That is why in 2018 the jets had the second worst offensive line statistically in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

I don’t disagree that he hasn’t spent much capital on the position thus far, but he said that none of the offensive linemen they liked fell to them this year and the free agent group was weak. Macs strategy is to come out of this year with a lot of cap room. I think he wants to see how this offensive line plays under Bates and how far along Darnold is at the end of the year. Clearly if Darnold is getting killed out there and/or we keep getting stuffed in the run he is going to address it.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Well" may be a bit of a stretch...... unless you're judging by his own personal standards

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry Kob but after 50 years of futility and stupidity it's hard to morph into Mary Poppins

#27 NYJetsO12, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. NYJetsO12

Darnold getting killed out there should be the curtain call for Mac and Toilet

Mac is 50 years early providing Bowles and Kacy exactly what they demanded for a defense that declined badly over the last 3 years

He is 50 years late upgrading an endemic offense and got very lucky landing Sam

Now Bridgewater runs a higher risk of injury "seeing how the OL jells together" and possibly risking Darnold health as well

I had high hopes for Macagnan but he is just not a smart GM

tomdeb likes this.
  9. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

I understand that everything is relative, but I’d say he is the best GM this team has had in the past 20 yrs Who would you say is better?

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with the sentiment that any pick outside of 1st round won’t help us this year. Also, who cares if they don’t help us this year? We need to invest in the oline. Not just for this year, but for future seasons.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. Bowles Movement

So youd have taken an O lineman in the third or fourth round that wouldnt play this year over taking players that are at positions where we dont have starters (Defensive tackle and Tight end)? No doubt that the NFL is won in the trenches and great line play is a huge competitive advantage, but youve got to weigh the priorities and respond to whats the most important need. I think we have upgraded our secondary and skill positions in the last two years and O line and rush linebacker are the premium positions that will require high first round selections to make a difference. Maybe we can find one in FA and accelerate the process but the best just dont become available, just like franchise QBs.

12. But if the team doesn't think the player is that good of a prospect or it's a shallow positional talent pool..why force the pick? Just because the names on the depth chart are different & the ages are lower doesn't mean any improvement has been made. It's not as if OL is the only need on the team...this is a team that basically needs help everywhere.It's the definition of reaching & to do so knowingly when the team has a shallow talent pool is a fireable offense.

Then 2 years from now when the OL we picked sucks & other needs pop up or remain the draft revisionists will start saying Mac doesn't know how to pick OL & that we could've had that DL or TE

Harpua, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

That's not really saying much.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

Thats easy... Bill Parcells in 1998 was the Coach and GM who took us to the verge of the Super Bowl...way before him Sonny Werblin

Where is the evidence that MM "is best GM in 20 years"? please tell me lol.

He traded for Kearse for bad driver Sheldon R but other than that he was shylocked by Mevi$ at the decline of his career, buffaloed by Fitz and fleeced by Mo Wilk...plus presided over NO playoff appearances

15. Bowles Movement

yeah well Parcells was 20 years ago and you must have a bad memory if you dont remember that we had a shot a Peyton Manning before Parcells botched it up and he stayed in school. Or that he traded the number one pick in the draft for James Farrior and a bunch of mid round picks that became stiffs while passing on Orlando Pace and Walter Jones? Remember Rick Terry? another wasted high second round pick!

As a coach Parcells showed that he could take mediocre players and put them in a system that they could perform well in and motivate guys to get their best. But as a grocery shopper-Not so much. Tell me who he drafted in his three years that became a Pro Bowl fixture for the Jets

As far as the Revis and Wilk deals, how many here thought they were bad deals at the time? How do you let two pro bowlers go without compensation? And Mac at least limited the downside of the contract allowing the Jets to escape without going into salary cap hell in the process

The Kearse for Richardson trade was brilliant and allowed us to get a decent receiver and a second rd pick that became Darnold.

nycarl, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

Parcells was a great coach and GM. Why? because of the results he achieved for the team in what COUNTS : winning records and the playoffs. Who cares about who BP didnt sign or not his RESULTS speak for themselves..And YES I will take a guy who MOTIVATES over who can grocery shop or not!! Are you kidding??

Revis and Wilk were Pro Bowlers yes ...but let me ask you this..WITHOUT them on the team and their astronomical salaries would we be any better OR worse??? They both had TERRIBLE attitudes and part of a GMs job is to include THAT in your assessment...even Leonard Williams is flaming out and the 2 safeties back to back was real smart (lol)

You are beginning to sound a bit ridiculous comparing MM the GM of the bottomed ranked team in todays NFL and who might be out of job by this time next year with a HOF Coach/Manager

Mac has made some ok and not so OK deals ...but TBH this team is WORSE than it was 3 or 4 years ago..Other than Sam D I have a wait and see attitude about Percy and the rest of the signings that mac made..all a bunch of maybes and question marks

Listen if everybody pans out I will be the first to give him credit and I respect your opinion nonetheless

#36 NYJetsO12, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  17. Quinnenthebeast

If we want to rebuild this the right way then we can’t get ourselves into cap hell. That’s why it’s gonna take time. We have had way too many holes on the roster to address everything in 1 season. We just get out QB of the future (hopefully!). I don’t want to see his weapons and offensive line taken away from him like we did to Sanchez in 2011.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I thought fans that were about the tanking didn't like MORAL victories (Verge of a SB lol).

Funny how that works

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. Bowles Movement

Remember Parcells wore two hats. I think you are confusing the work of Parcells the GM with the results of Parcells the coach. Great coach, not so great GM. Parcells is NOT in the HOF for his GM skills. I said that Mac was a better GM, not head coach. And if youd like to wager Ill take your bet that Mac is still GM a year from now

As far as Wilk and Revis goes, this is all hind sight retrospection. the Jets had some concerns about Wilk and franchised him and he responded with his best year ever and made the Pro Bowl. At that point were you of the mind that we should cut him? If so id love to see posts from that time where you flat out said that. Most people and the press were skewering Mac for NOT having signed his "best player and team leader". Revis was re-signed after helping the Pats win a Super Bowl and had shown no signs of deteriorating, and in fact the Pats wanted him back. Mac ooutbid them but was smart enough to protect the Jets contractually against him losing his effectiveness and was able to cut him after his decline became evident

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The jury is still out on Mac.......remember he was told when hired to try and squeeze another year or two out of the vets....he was then permitted to stay on, tear it all down and start from scratch which these days isn't seen very often.....if he hit on Darnold he's probably going to be around for quite a while.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.