Improving the O-Line before Week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 17, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If Sam continues to impress through training camp and it legitimately looks like he's either the week 1 starter, or somebody who will start much sooner than later, it strikes me as irresponsible to have him behind this line.

Of course you can't make a judgement until you see them out there together. And yes there was a legitimate upgrade made at center as Wesley Johnson (the worst in the league) is gone and replace by Spencer Long who's about average. Still Johnson was so bad that just moving up to average will be a noticeable difference. We can get by with Beachum and Shell. But we have to upgrade over the atrocious Winters and bad Carpenter. I think Carpenter is slightly better than Winters but that's not saying much. Maybe Carpenter can rebound a bit but I'm not too optimistic

I really hope Mac is super aggressive trying to trade for one, or some surprising veterans that get cut towards the end of the summer. If there is any way Mac can improve this line even a little bit he absolutely has to do it.

Are there any vets you see that may free up? What trades can we make?

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets are still a few years away precisely because of this. [And the absence of a blue-chip edge rusher.]

I don't want Darnold to start this year unless this OL proves me wrong. [I am not counting on it.]

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Winters play pretty well 2 years ago and last year the poor play was because he needed surgery but played through it? Sounds like the line will be a lot better just with Johnson out and Winters healthy......

Pags2112, almbleamal, hwismer and 7 others like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This was one of the reasons I left the draft feeling disappointed. Not that we didn’t draft good players, but that we didn’t use a single pick on such a glaring need.

My hope is that we not only sign a good olineman next offseason, but also use 2 picks to add youth to the position group. It needs it badly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

Im pretty sure we needed a Qb DE and TE and those were our first three picks We didnt even have legitimate starters at those positions At least the O line guys all started in the NFL last year

LF911SC likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Any pick outside of the first round is not helping the line this year. We didn't have a second rounder. Third round and later lineman take time to develop and unlike the Dline your not rotating them in to get reps. Drafting a O lineman would have done nothing for this season to help Sam. We do need to draft O line but Mike has said he feels its a position that can be coached up more than others and focuses on it later in the draft. Its the one thing I hate about his team building philosophy.

Pags2112 and FJF like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Unless there is a late cut of some value this is our line for the year. Mike is banking on a healthy Winters and an actual NFL center being enough to right the ship.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Winters did have the abdominal injury basically all last season, which I've heard is excruciating and he opted to play through it. For that alone you have to give the guy some credit.
    Here's a fun fact about an abdominal injury. It makes you far less mobile and lessens your leverage points, the reason this is a big deal for Winters is that he has shorter arms for his position which hasn't hampered him from being productive thus far but couple that with an abdominal tear and it's a recipe for disaster.

There was a lot of flack given for the contract Winters got which in and of its self at face value giving a player who at the time was average to a bit above average at his position such a lucrative contract seemed like a waste to some. However, if you study Winters play over his tenure his skill and productivity was on a steep linear progression. The contract was for what they envisioned him becoming, not what he currently was. The market for o-line is so competitive you have to gamble. There's a reason you don't see 1/3 of the 1st round of the draft be O-linemen anymore, there's not enough talent coming out of college because of the lack of NFL style offenses so fewer are developed driving up the market for complete players and causing NFL teams to have to turn O-line draft picks into 2-3 year projects.

nycarl and FJF like this.
  9. Bowles Movement

Any late cut is going to be an overpaid under performing vet that probably wouldnt be anything more than depth and wouldnt have any line chemistry at least at the start.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The jets have gotten lucky twice recently with good o lineman coming available when no one expected. First was Pete Kendall during the herm era than again with faneca for Rex’s run . It’s not out of the question that it happens again.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

our o-line still has a year or 2 before it can be rebuilt but we have plenty of cap room and plenty of picks to help and not as many needs as people think. We did improve the center position in the offseason and the rest of the line has shown they can play well at times so i'm somewhat optomistic we can have at least an average o-line this year and i really like we grabbed garcia who could take over for beechum after this season

12. Bowles Movement

you realize you are referring to 2 guys that together spend 5 yrs on our team and were acquired between 10-11 yrs ago? Good fills in for a few years but no franchise cornerstones like Brick and Mangold

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t under rate the importance of those acquisitions. How much do you think it helped young brick and nick having faneca there instead of whatever screen door they would have went with if he wasn’t available? Like wise Kendall really anchored that line for herm and probably bought him some extra time.
    Not every move is going to be a perennial all star for the team for the next 10 years. Sometimes there are moves that help the team in areas no one looks and don’t show up on the stat sheets.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The good thing about Darnold is that he can make plays on the run. He's not a statue in the pocket. Yes, the OL needs improvement, but I'd play him when he's ready.

Bowles Movement and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The OL will undergo a facelift beginning next offseason. I'm not sure who will be available in FA but I'm pretty sure at least one OL will be added via the draft relatively early.....Carpenter will be cut loose and possibly Beechum too. Shell is still in wait and see mode....I'm sure by the end of this year the front office will determine whether he is a keeper or not. Remember Mac traded up for him so he may have a longer leash. Meanwhile Long may be a candidate to switch over to guard if say the Jets draft a C in the third round or so.......a lot of possibilities and a lot of money will be available....

#15 mrjet80, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The ideal situation would be Shell elevating his play to the next nevel and taking over at LT, allowing Beachum to move to RT.

Add that to Winters and Carpenter simply returning to form, and Long staying healthy. This O-line just got extremely formidable.

That's also WELL within reason, not just a pipe dream.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It's within reason but I would be happy if Shell simply elevates his play and becomes an upper echelon right tackle. That may bring Winters level of play up a little. In this scenario I think the Jets will be well served to find the best LT in FA next year ( I don't know what's out there ) or draft a LT high, slide Long over to LG where I think he's a slightly better player and either draft a C or sign one in FA. By 2020 after a season of playing together the Jets can have a top OL again.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Can you fathom the fear Teddy B must be harboring knowing he has to rely on Winters and Carpenter to keep him from a career ending injury???
    Way to go Mac ..pick up a talented set of QBs and end up with another year of McGown..so long Bowles And take Macgenius with ya!!!!

tomdeb likes this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Unfathomable

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Mike Mac has had 4 drafts for the jets and taken a grand total of 2 OL, both in round 5. The jets had the 2nd worst OL in the NFL in 2017 and the only change was the jets
    signing of Washington's 2nd string center. Their OL will stink again in 2018 and Mike Mac will ignore it AGAIN in the 2019 draft. Death, taxes and Mike Mac ignoring the jets OL.