IF you play man coverage, U need to jam WR's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

i mean man coverage with a 10 yard buffer means shit to me.

Wtf

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I tend to agree but the defense was far from the problem today. They gave up 293 yards of offense, and 17 points while dealing with the offense dealing 7 FUCKING turnovers (1 special teams for the touchdown of course).

I don't get the man coverage though. We have all the makings of a great zone scheme. A good deep ball safety that doesn't give up big plays, a hard hitting rover strong safety, a fast ILB, one corner whom is probably the best ever at jamming at the line, another corner whom is a ball hawk and a dynamic front 4. Why in the hell are we manning these guys up across the board? Any half decent quarterback is gonna find the crosser. Andy Reid's offense is known for all that little bullshit, yet we let them burn us on it.

Frustrating but Fitzpatrick was putrid today. The loss is on him. Forcing multiple balls into triple coverage in the Red Zone made me want to puke and rescind anything good I've ever said about him. Especially while watching Dak fuggin Prescott pick apart defenses.

4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The defense was still atrocious. They lucked out on that fumble out of the end zone and then Andy Reid knew that we fielded a Qb who is absolutely terrible so decided to literally just run the ball 3x and punt all 4th quarter. When they were actually trying to score, they dinked and dunked all game. The schemes were an issue and they ran a ton of zone too. That's why a lot of those passes were easy catches. If anything, I feel like they should play some more bump and run man unless they facing a top 5 wr.

TNJet, june19 and Martin&theJETS like this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

YOU say it ,I agree 1000 percent,Lucas and Westoff say it,,,but the coach does not see it that way,,,,,simply amazing

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

And that's the issue at hand. The guy is clueless. Kc is predicated on timing routes 3 steps and out and the wr Better be there when smith hits that 3rd step. If you jam off the line it immediately throws the timing off. It's disturbing that a normal fan can see that but a guy getting paid for it to be his job cannot. The scheme the secondary is running has been atrocious all season. Time to make adjustments

tbruner12 likes this.
  7. richieC

richieC Active Member

Gotta hope Bowles can adjust in the future to the opponent we play. He was a defensive backs coach and then defensive coordinator for a good Arizona Cardinal team.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Preach

9. legler82

Fixed it for you.

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Each week I'm seeing lots of busted coverages, that's unacceptable. Now teams are stretching the field and the underneath routs are coming open. Gilcrest has looked like total dogshit this year

11. legler82

Another thing I don't get is why both safeties are not playing the deep part of the field providing help over the top for our CBs. This is what KC did all game and their front 7 isn't nearly as stout. I don't see the need for loading the box, no one is going to go crazy running the ball on us.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Man to man? I saw a lot of pussy-soft zone that allowed Smith to pick up us apart with 10 yard passes which is what hes done his whole career

zace likes this.
  13. DMaynard13

DMaynard13 New Member

Man-to-man or zone, our secondary simply lacks the speed that is necessary. I was willing to give Revis the benefit of the doubt after the first game. And even after the second game. It is now obvious he has lost a couple of steps. I think Marcus Williams has a lot of the skills to be a good corner. Except he just isn't fast enough. Pryor is not a bust. But he will never be anything special because he lacks speed. And the one guy who has adequate speed for his position at free safety, Gilchrist, lacks other skills and will always be mediocre.

You can't waste number one picks like Kyle Wilson and Milliner and not pay the price.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah, it had nothing to do with speed yesterday. Poor defensive calling. Its like having Mangini out there again.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Jets69 and tbruner12 like this.
  15. DMaynard13

DMaynard13 New Member

They are calling for the d-backs to be a step behind on every play?

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

We didnt get beat deep yesterday. We got beat playing off their guys. Maclins lost a step and they dont gave any capable WRs nor a qb that can beat you deep. So, yeah thats all playcalling.

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. DMaynard13

DMaynard13 New Member

That's just it. Our d-backs can't even close on slower receivers. Lack of speed does not just manifest itself on long passes. The Jets don't bump and run because they can't do the run part.

tbruner12 and TNJet like this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Our Cbs are not that slow. I have no idra where that came from. They are sloppy, but to act like theyre so slow they cant keep up is ridiculous as well. They just werent prepared to play, Bowles admits it, the players admited it and it showed. Fitzpatrick was the ultimate manifestation of it.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It really wasn't atrocious. Giving up 10 points (thanks for the correction legler), should be enough to beat a team that is without their best defender.

One of the things I've always noticed, dating back through last year, in this offense is that when we take shots early (regardless if they're completed or not) the opposing defense is loosened up an incredible amount. It shows that they need to defend it because we're going to try it. We didn't take any shots early, ran out vanilla stick and stop routes and let the corners sit on them, so Reid dropped a ton of dudes in underneath zones and said go get the ball boys.

The halftime adjustments have been horrible as well. Last year I applauded Bowles, Gailey and Rodgers for such adjustments (outside of Buffalo, week 17), and this year they're non-existent. Someone made the comparison to Herm Edwards, but Bowles is starting to remind me more of Mangini. Over-exaggerates the situation, in that we're down 17-3 at halftime and we completely abandon the run like it's a 34-3 game. Or to shell up into a prevent defense when we're up 3 points with 3 minutes to go.

It's starting to get a wee bit frustrating in the lack of killer attitude he instills into his team.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Bingo. Way, way, way, way too many posts and/or threads complaining about the defense. The offense just had one of the most clusterfuck games I have ever seen. The game was 17-3 for like ever. Our offense blew opportunity after opportunity to get back in the game. When you have 8 turnovers (and two returned for touchdowns), you expect to give up 40+ points. We gave up 24.

Also, the only scoring by either team in the second half was the pick 6.