If Woody Johnson has an ounce of ego...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Jan 21, 2008.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

...in his body chemistry, then having to watch

your biggest rival and...

...your old/new stadium partner ...

....enjoy the Super Bowl spotlight has got to spur some kind of reaction from him.

I've questioned his interest in this team frequently on this site,
    but he did try to get an ego palace built in NYC,
    so maybe there's still some hope that he will be as embarrassed as we are by the weekend's developments and rededicate himself to trying to build a champion.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gawd I hope so. If he can sit through another low profile off-season after this he's well on the path to Hess-dom.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You may be on to something here...

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Could be an interesting thread.

I do envy other teams when I see how passionate some of their owners are. And I remember Leon Hess getting very involved for a time, particularly around the Bill Parcells-hiring era. He was well-loved in the locker room by all the players and coaches.

So yeah, I'd love to see Woody really get involved and get passionate. It think that's the one thing I miss the most... "the passion" by the owner. As much as I absolutely despise Kraft, who I see as a borish, egotistical, pompous, self-promoting, in-love-with-himself fop, you do have to respect his passion for his beloved Patriots.

I'm not saying I want an owner as despicable as Kraft, but a little of the passion wouldn't hurt.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^Kraft wins. Gimmie despicable and 3 (soon to be 4) championships anytime. I hope some of the "fans" on this board enjoy the game between the team that regularly embarrasses us, and our crosstown rivals, who are going to the SB for the 4TH TIME! What a travesty, made worse by the people that think 4-12 is "ok", because Mangini is "building something" and we need to be patient. Bullshit, this organization has been building something for 40 effing years. Keep firing people until you get someone in here that wins games. The Jets organization is past the point of ridiculous ineptitude. Its time to demand results NOW, not hope for the best 5 years from now. We need a Kraft to give this joke of franchise SOME form of legitimacy. I'd be laughing, if it didn't wrench my guts to think about the Super Bowl I'm about to be subject to.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Some owners are absolute monsters to their franchise, look at Al Davis and Daniel Snyder, and Jerry Jones... Now i also want some fire, not like these idiot owners though. I want to see Woody get involved but i want to see him keep calm and let tthe guys he pays do the job when it counts..

7. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

It's a fine line that the owner has to walk however, and the Giants win last night is an example of that.

Last year, Coughlin seemed to be on his last legs, and no one thought he could deliver a championship.

The Giants owners did a nice job by showing patience, but also, telling their coach, in no uncertain terms, what they expected of him and how they wanted him to change. Coughlin responded, and the team responded.

I guess what I would hope Woody to do this offseason would be this:

1) Loosen the purse strings, and pursue whatever quality FA his GM deems worthy
    2) Tell "Tangini" to do a better job with their public face: Deal with their players more honestly, and avoid the bitter, arrogant negotiating style they've adopted.
    3) Come down to the locker room after games and be a presence.
    4) Plan a big splash around the 1968 Jets. Retire another Jersey or 2 to the wall. Deserving candidates include Winston Hill, or Philbin or Grantham.

That would be a good start for 2008.

8. If this trail of events does not motivate the franchise to dedicate itself to winning and reward its suffering fanbase...nothing will.

Jet fans have put up w/ alot of CRAP the past few years...w/ a failed attempt at our own stadium, Bradway/herm debacle, Doug Brien, The PSL's, and now our 2 biggest rival leaving us further behind..

It's time they show us that they care and put a winner on the field.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Great ideas GSour. I especially like #2. The honeymoon being over, it's time for Woody to call Tannenbaum and Mangini into his office for a frank discussion. Ask them to evaluate themselves. They're no longer the darling little Bobbsy Twin youngsters who require the benefit of the doubt, they need to provide a list of what they could have done better this year. And that list better include explanations of the Pete Kendall fiasco including a detailed account of the Rookie Dorm incident, because it smacked of amatuerishness and will almost certainly affect our ability to attract good F/A talent.

In other words, it's time they became accountable, and not in a passive way. Woody is paying them good moey and should demand results. Let them know they're on the hot seat this year and we expect much more than we're getting. Open up the wallet and tell them it's theirs. What we expect in return is a championship.

If Woody hasn't already done this I'd be deeply disappointed in him. You'd think a guy with his stature would want something a whole lot better than to buy a franchise that goes 4-12.

10. Stephen165

Stephen165 New Member

Really Sad

Im really sick of writing about Jets failures, because they are so frequent & significant. The biggest slap in the face was that the Jets showed no signs of improvement this year. In that last game against Herm, both teams looked disorganized, amateuristic & incompetent as usual. I look at the Giants who look thoroughly like a professional team with:
    1) Big physical lines that control the line of scrimmage,
    2) A stable of big motivated running backs, skilled wide receivers & tight ends
    3) A young developing QB showing signs of excellence
    4) A secondary, despite being injured that continues to play well & make big plays
    And I say to myself, "how did it go so bad for so long in such a big way".
    This letter could be written most years for the Jets, just cut it & paste it when we fail next year. I know its pessimistic, but Im angry as usual at our bunch of loveable losers. Where are the good times that follow the miserable failures. Mangini is not showing that he is improving, he is regressing. The holes on this team (Defensive & Offensive lines & Wide receiver) are significant, I dont see us turning it around quickly. How about a big physical bruising back for a change. I noticed that the only one since Riggins who could run through a tackle named Lamont Jordan was traded. Anyway,
    just venting as usual. SK

11. Section 227. Row 5

BINGO! Something all SB contenders have in common.

12. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Woody Johnson doesn't care about Jet fans.

- Kanye West

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I don't even know why that's funny...but it is.:grin:

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry the ONLY time Hess got involved or showed any passion towards the NYJs was after he was told he had a terminal illness which then made him go out & hire BP to try to win one before he expired

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

True but he wants us to keep buying NYJ gear & charging more & more for the season tix so he gets richer & richer. That is his only interest in the NYJs

16. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The Patriots are not our biggest rival. That title has been taken in perpetuity.

17. rich729

rich729 New Member

i dont think its a question of ego with woody--its all about bucks--he overpaid hess' spawn for the jets & focused all his energy on a manhattan land scam to recoup his cash (it wernt an ego palace--xanadu is going up in the meadowlands). it dont matter to woody if the jets win or lose--he's got the johnson & johnson stock to fall back on & people will always need bandaids.

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

The Jets have no identity.They play in Giants Stadium in New Jersey.The seats are blue and red.It's time to find a new team to root for.Really looking forward to sharing a stadium with the Giants

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

The Jets have become the Pats bitch

20. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

As a Met, Jet and Knick fan, this was the worst year in my life to be a fan of these teams. Your arch rival is UNDEFEATED. Your inter-city rival has a miracle season and goes to the SUPERBOWL. ISIAH! Oh! and how about leading the National League east for the entire season and the wheels faling off the last WEEK! I feel guitly about turning these teams over to my 3 1/2 year old son. As Leon once said"I'm entitled to some enjoyment from this team!"