If the Jets are the only team still doing the anthem protest in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It started by accident in 1918 at a World Series game when a military band played the tune some 13 years before it had even become the national anthem. It was played off and on until the period of WWII when the unifying patriotic theme of a country at war caused it to be played more frequently and it has become simply a matter of inertia assisted by an armed forces that has spent millions of dollars of its recruitment budgets on such displays. The NFL and its member teams, as well as other professional sports organizations have been the recipients of huge amounts of money while pretending to be sponsoring these shows themselves as a public service.

Its playing, as well as conspicuous displays of the nation's flag, is often endorsed by people who believe they hold a patent on what's right and what's wrong in America and prefer to judge the patriotism of others based on a song rather than being truly patriotic themselves by respecting the varying viewpoints of everyone else.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes and no imo..WHY DOESNT CHRIS AND WOODY FOCUS ON IMPROVING THE 5-11 RECORD RATHER THAN ADD TO SOME CONTROVERSY??????? Players and FA want to be on a team who wins and makes playoffs...trust me on that

FTMR "no mandate for winning " etc .Just do want you want>>>>>>Piss poor leadership

Their statement fits right in with "Country Club Jets" and Laid back T Bowles..come to the Jets and protest as much as you want...oh wait ..there's the Pats game next Sunday? ...yawn

LAJet likes this.
  3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Well if you’d like to root for another team go right ahead

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m a college grad with a full time job, benefits and a 401k. Own a house and send my child to private school (ok, a condo because private school is expensive). This post didn’t work out for you.

K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

focus on improving the record??? lol dude are you out of your mind? what do you think they did all offseason. Did you miss where they were the most active team in free agency? where they traded up into the top 3 to draft a quarterback? What do you think those things were for

i know its easy to cry about the friggin national anthem like the fellow snowflakes out there but good grief, get a clue here

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Came to this thread like[​IMG]

ukjetsfan, NY Jets68 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Trolling answer: Ensuring social justice is far more important than winning a football game so the Jets are the true champions of the league. If you don’t 100% agree with me you are a low life trash bigot racist nazi comrade and should go root for the brady bunch.

Real answer: If you don’t think that Chris is trying to win just because of this than you are purposely reaching. If anything all he did was show players that he supports them which will let them focus MORE on football. Plus free agents will take notice and it will pay off in the long run. They just got a quarterback room with a great teacher, young potential franchise qb which they haven’t had in a long time, and a great stop gap. The idea of no mandate of winning this year is called trusting the process. It’s the idea that we acknowledge we are likely not winning the super bowl THIS year so rather than go out and over pay a bunch of old bums to finish 9-7 let’s just continue course properly developing the young core we have. It also lets them work the qb situation however they see best. And lastly, the kneeling isn’t about anything anymore but the actual right to do it so the Jets will probably have the LEAST amount of protests. Players on other teams will see themselves as heroes and martyrs for doing it but Chris just took the wind out of that idea. Now anyone on the Jets does it they are making their kind old friend pay for them which makes them look like dicks.

stinkyB, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the NFL wants this controversy. There is nothing going on with the NFL; NBA is nearing the finals, the NHL finals start next week, MLB is in full swing, but here we are talking about the national anthem during the NFL. Something that is barely registered when you watch from home. Something that the media could avoid all together by keeping the cameras off the kneeling players. NFL wants the controversy. They don't care about America or about the players kneeling.

As for my opinion on Chris Johnson, he said the right thing. I don't care what these guys do before the game, but I really really wish we would stop talking about it.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its not true? Oh brother...:confused: No need to go any further as it would be futile..

#109 Cman68, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    boozer32 likes this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

A minority of 20 something kids don't stand for a song and you are giving up your love for the team you rooted since you were 9. Do you realize that our president only made this an issue because the NFL did let him be an owner of a team way back when we he personally ruined the USFL and when the Bills were for sale. THis is not a political thing, I am talking business. This is not about being Patriotic its just payback from one business man to another.

boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because they're human and when asked a question they're allowed to have an opinion. I'd love to hear how answeri a question, taking maybe 2 minutes away from his time, this takes away from improving the team.

You actually believe that FAs won't come here because of 1. Chris Johnson, 2 because he would back his players? That's almost as out of left field as trying to convince people that Bowles runs the "Country Club Jets" and Is laid back.

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's the owner being a degenerate douchebag that would get me to stop supporting the team. It's not like I'd go follow some other team, if this kneeling shit starts with the Jets, I'll just take an extended sabbatical from the sport altogether. It's what I did with the Knicks during the Isiah Thomas years and I've never regretted it.

94Abraham and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

first of all, the star spangled banner is a terrible song ... you cant line dance, wobble, slow dance, or milly rock to it :p

secondly, not only was the author a people enslaving racist (“[black are] a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community.” - key), but the song itself is racist. from the typically unsung third stanza ...

and no one is protesting that shitty song. they are protesting social injustice during the time in which the song is played. and they are doing it in the most deferential way possible. since when is kneeling a sign of disrespect? i cant think of one other context when kneeling (proposing, praying, GoT bending the knee, etc) is viewed in that light.

lastly, the nfl does not give a fuck about the song or the flag. they were paid by the DoD to create this pomp and circumstance around the anthem ... and as the 49ers owner alluded to, if the league (or anyone else up in arms) really cared about everyone showing reverence during the anthem, then they should be concerned about what all attendees are doing during the ceremony ... that would mean shutting down concessions, memorabilia and bathroom access during the song. but they wont take those measures because, again, they really dont give a fuck

boozer32 and Cidusii like this.
  14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Hope they don’t do I don’t have to hear about it n guys like u can enjoy your team. We are all jet fans and Americans.

15. NYJetsO12

Johnson had no business deciding to do what he did IMO..and I would say 75% of America feels the same way

Go ahead and homer for these owners but till I SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT i am a bit skeptical about ANYTHING the Johnsons do

Yes There has been alot of activity in FA and on paper we should win a SB...lol We got Sam darnold and the Tremain 72 mill signing for CB.. after that a whole bunch of maybes

The clue about you is you put on the Rose Colored glasses..thats OK go right ahead..

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

you do know who you are talking to right?

LMAO @ this ignorant ass comment! Not to mention 100% wrong

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

Predictions :There will be Dicks a plenty and booing from the stands

We seem to have opposite philosophies about the Johnson laissezfaire attitude versus disciplining your team and getting the picture that winning is important...thats ok to each his own

Be aware that this attitude has produced 2 terrible seasons, a lackluster CS, and irate fans

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And fans who have no idea what 5 wins last season meant.

Johnson attitude. Where does this complaining from? Hate to break it to you but the team loves Chris J. Fans in the stands like him too. No one is going to boo him because he's got his players back.

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The eagles had more Adamant protestors than any team and won the super bowl. Jets had none and went 5-11. The two are not related. I wouldn’t kneel because what the anthem means to me says I’d stand. Discouraging protest is one thing but the second you start fining them you become a hypocrite

LF911SC likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You missed the point -.you know, the part where I bolded your comment about NFL players being "whiny fucking pussies."

I mean, .here we have an angry little nerd who probably wore black socks in gym class (now-turned-keyboard-warrior) calling NFL players "fucking pussies?" .

If that isn't "mouse-that-roared" ridiculous I don't know what is so don't take it so hard, .killer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.