If Fitzpatrick is sitting there at #6 should we select him?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Feb 28, 2018.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

all be summed up by looking at the valuation of Alabama’s Minkah Fitzpatrick, the crown jewel of the 2018 DB class. In order to stand out and earn a first-round grade from teams this year, DBs are going to have to be truly spectacular and truly diverse. All Fitzpatrick had to do was master about six different positions while he was in college.

“He is the only guy I could tell you that could start at all six positions in an NFL defensive backfield,” draft guru Mike Mayock told Peter King. “Both corners, both safeties, the nickel and the dime. Nick Saban played him at a lot of his nickel and dime linebacker stuff. So he was tough enough to tackle, he’s fast enough to play corner, the NFL is a matchup league.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He looks/sounds like a great player, but no, I wouldn't take him. First and foremost, the Jets need a QB. If they don't sign Cousins, then they need to draft a QB.

Even if they sign Cousins, they have greater needs. CBs just don't make as much of a difference in defending the pass as a strong pass rush does. Even the best CBs can only stay with their receivers for around 3-4 seconds. We know the Jets haven't had a strong pass rush in forever. I think that Fitzpatrick's best position might be slot corner, and #6 is way too high imo to take a slot corner. IMO it's also normally too high to take an OG, but I'd rather take Nelson than Fitzpatrick if Chubbs isn't there and the Jets have signed Cousins.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Minkah is a really good player but he’s a FS. We blew our load on both our safeties last year.... If he’s there maybe trade back or select a QB depending on what happens with Cousins

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Jets need talent on offense. QB, OL, RB, and maybe WR are all holes that need to be filled ASAP.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, that's another reason not to draft Fitzpatrick

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Would have to see how the draft fell, I’d rather take Chubb or Nelson though.
    But oh man, Buy stock in Tampax if they take Fitzpatrick with a couple of qbs on the board.
    For that reason my official answer is yes,draft that beast

101GangGreen101 and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go near Fitzpatrick at #6 for the Jets.
    I think he may be more of a S than CB personally, so I can't see drafting that high unless a team has a plan to play him as a hybrid.

If not a QB, I'd prefer Nelson followed by Chubb (assuming Barkley gone).

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If you want to see me break my tv, absolutely.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Cousins signs the 6th pick should go to Barkley, Chubb or Nelson in that order.

If Cousins signs elsewhere the 6th pick should go to BAQB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

deleted post

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

No. The Jets can't spend another pick on a defensive player in the 1st round. They HAVE to start investing in the offense. Chubb would be the only defensive player I would consider if Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold all were off the board.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. First pick has gotta be offense either QB/Barkely or trade back at which point OL or Ridley are in play.

However. In the shitty scenario where they cant trade back I think Fitzpatrick would be a great fit. This guy could be playing a different position every week much like Adams. However His skill set is much different. He's very agile,long & quick. Some weeks he could be boundary cb,next week slot, & the next playing deep safety...Possibilities are endless. On top of that he's a high intangible leader & a great communicator. He,Adams & Maye makes alot of sense. Positionless match-up football w. high football IQ athletic alphas.

13. ColoradoContrails

He might well be all those things Kurt, but unless he can lead the offense and throw for 60+% completion and 25-35 TDs he's not going to have the impact of someone who can. He's a luxury that the Jets can't afford, but like a guy living in a trailer park who buys a 60" flat screen, Macc is sure to take him.

14. Don’t disagree in the least.

Even within the scenario I outlined in which I’d take him I wouldn’t necessarily be happy going that direction.However completely removing the offense from the equation & thinking solely defense he is a fit & makes sense

15. ColoradoContrails

Again. I'm sure he would be a plus, but even talking "D" only, he's not going to make the impact a stud pass rusher will. A Pass Rusher is the only player I wouldn't lose my shit over if they can't get one of the top QBs or Barkley, and if Macc can't do that, as I said before, Woody ought to send the security guards into the draft room and forcibly remove him from the premises.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

No hes essentially Jamal Adams light so itd really be a wasted pick

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

But I wouldn't be shocked if they did, disappointed, yes, but not shocked!