If Bosa and Allen go 1 - 2?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Who is your third choice

1. Jonah Williams

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Quinnen Williams

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. DK Metcalf

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Ed Oliver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jawaan Taylor

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Brian Burns

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you mean Quinnen Williams, it better not be, or I'll hope he's a bust and Mac gets fired and the whole Scouting Dept. and CS get fired.

Imagesrdecieving and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

That’s who I mean ... I just have that feeling .
    I’m not sure why any fan would hope for a pick to be a bust just to get the GM fired ?
    I’m not a fan of Mac either , but I’d rather him surprise me & be successful than prove me right and have us fail ... that’s your prerogative, though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themorey and FJF like this.
  3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Anyone not voting for QW has no clue on proper value in the draft process. If you want anyone other than QW, you trade down, not pick a reach at #3.

FJF likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

That’s why I voted other.

5. NCJetsfan

I feel that way because I don't think Quinnen Williams is a fit for a 3-4 D alignment. With that being the case, I don't think that there's any possibility that he will be a great player for us or that Mac will surprise us and be right.

I think that Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams are similar players and would play the same position. As long as we have Leon Williams, I see no point in drafting Williams, and even if we traded Leon Williams, I don't think Quinnen would be nearly as effective. He had one year of stellar college production and little before that. He's too light to play 3-4 DE imo. IMO you don't use the #3 pick in the draft to draft a backup or to draft a player that isn't a scheme fit, especially when you have so many holes on your team and could truly benefit from trading down and getting more picks. I just think it would be a stupid pick. Now if the Jets had a stacked roster and ran the 4-3 D alignment is their base, it would make sense. Then you can afford to take the BPA even though you don't need him. In that situation you're upgrading the talent level of the team, but it's still a bit of a luxury pick. In the Jets' situation, I think it would a wasted pick.

If you don't like the GM and don't think he's doing a good job, and when he makes a horrible decision to draft a player that doesn't fit his team's defensive scheme and perhaps had the opportunity to trade down, acquire more picks and get players that do fit the team's schemes, why would you that player to succeed and the GM to remain? That just continues the same old Jets BS and gives no hope for the future. IMO rooting for that player to be good or great, just means the GM will continue to be rewarded for bad decisions, and the team will continue to have a bunch of holes, will not be a playoff contender, and the risk is very real that the few really good players that Mac has drafted will be wasted. Why would you want for that to happen?

I'd rather Mac surprised us and be successful as well, but for that to happen, the pick cannot be Quinnen Williams, period. For that to happen, Mac will have to work a trade down for good return and then draft very good players with his 1st, 2nd, multiple 3rds, and his 4th round picks.

#65 NCJetsfan, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. IMO that's a blind way to look at it. If he's not a good scheme fit, which he isn't, then he doesn't hold value for the Jets. Whatever value he has is only there for teams that play a scheme where he will be a fit.

I agree that one should trade down, but that isn't always possible. I don't like reaching, but if the only alternative is to take a player that isn't a scheme fit and reaching a little for another highly ranked player that is a scheme fit, then the only thing that makes any sense if one understands what the draft is about and about how to build your team is to reach a little and take a player that is a scheme fit. Taking a player that isn't a scheme fit just because others claim he's the BPA is just an unflexible, blind adherence to some draft "rule" or guideline. IMO one has to adjust for each draft, and be flexible in the approaches one takes to build one's roster. One should not just blindly take a player that is the consensus BPA.

On many sites, Devin White is rated as a top 5 pick. White would be a good scheme fit for us. I don't see that as a reach at all. Our LB corps needs to be upgraded. We don't need another 3-4 DE. Traditionally, LBs are more important in a 3-4 D alignment than DEs. In every possible sense, Quinnen Williams would not be the BPA for the Jets. Even though White is ranked perhaps a slot or two lower by some "experts" (who are anything but), he shouldn't be considered a reach. I've seen Jawaan Taylor ranked as high a #7. That's not really a reach, either.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

#66 NCJetsfan, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Again , I'm not questioning your feelings about the fit or the player, I'm questioning your logic in hoping a player our team chooses @ #3 is a bust simply because it's not the guy you'd pick & therefore gets the GM you don't like , fired

I think a better way to put it is " I think the guy will be a bust but I hope I'm wrong and Mac surprises me and makes the right call"... again, it's your prerogative to feel however you'd like , I just don't see the logic.

Attackett likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

That's ok. I can't see the logic in your position either. The team has already used way too many #1 picks on the DL over the last decade. Enough is enough. Mac's blind adherence to BPA is not building our team. The DL isn't even the most important unit for a 3-4 D alignment. How many high 1st round picks are we supposed to use on that unit, when we have other units that have been ignored? Sorry, but imo it's just dumb to take yet another DL that high.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

What is my position you don’t find the logic in ... I simply said I felt that was going to be the pick , I didn’t say I agreed or disagreed ?

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

10. NCJetsfan

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you. If anything, you're the one with the reading comprehension problem. My previous responses have been quite clear.

Your position that I don't find the logic in is in hoping that Mac will surprise us and that Quinnen Williams will be a great player for us. Quinnen Williams is not a scheme fit, therefore I see no possibility that he becomes a great player for us. Even if he somehow did, it is still continuing Mac's blind adherence to taking the BPA which for much of the last decade has been a DL player, and he then ignores more important positions and units on the team. His approach isn't building a complete team that can be a contender. Why would any fan want that to continue? That's totally illogical and lacking in any rationality to me. I hope that's clear enough for you.

11. Jersey Joe 67

I’m too tired to keep this argument going ... I just want this team to be successful no matter what direction they go .
    I’ll just leave it at that .

12. NCJetsfan

I wasn't looking for an argument. You are the one who kept pursuing a disagreement. I just stated my opinions. We can agree to disagree.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is wrong. You have to consider uncertainty, namely that just because QW appears to be the best player doesn't mean he actually will be the best player. Couple that with positional needs, which have less uncertainty that player evaluations, and QW isn't the slam dunk you make him out to be. Having said that, I voted Other, namely a trade down if at all possible.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

If that happens the smart play is Q. Williams.... But we are the Jets so I'll go ahead and say we'd take Montez Sweet a workout warrior who killed the combine but has shoddy production at best.... He will be the next Vernon Ghoulston lol

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm starting to lean towards Burns if the top 2 pass rushers are off the board at 3 and we can't trade down. He might not be a finished product yet because of his weight, but once he puts on some pounds, he could be an elite pass rusher.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

How is it the smart play when he isn't a scheme fit, or do you think he's a scheme fit? If he is a scheme fit, where do you see him playing?

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OP said you can't trade down. At worst Jonah is an all pro caliber guard. I think people are panicking over that Championship game, but I think he's more like the other games. I disagree that you HAVE to take QW at 3 given the circumstance.

Showed some horrible discipline in his technique against Ferrell. That can be fixed.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Where have you been these last 4 years Joe?

Other than Sam D (who landed in his lap) Mac has been a Bust..maybe some trades are ok but he can't Draft to save his life

If you disagree please show me the evidence

NC is voicing a lot of sentiment that Mac should have been FIRED along with Toilet Bowles

19. Jersey Joe 67

Let me clear this up one last time ... I AM NOT A SUPPORTER OF MACCAGNAN .
    I AGREE he has SUCKED as a GM.

My disagreement with NC is his statement that if we selected Q. Williams with our #3 pick , he hopes he is a bust so Mac gets fired ... I cannot get behind that sentiment .

Do I wish Mac had been shown the door with Bowles... YES YES YES , but he didn’t .
    I cannot hope for him to continue to make mistakes so he gets fired .
    I can only PRAY he gets things right and proves us Mac haters wrong in our assessment of him .

I hope that clears things up .

#79 Jersey Joe 67, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Attackett likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

What about his play suggests that, seeing as he played a ton of 34 at Bama.

They play mostly 34 in this game. He lines up as a 3T and 0. Very stout at the point of attack and often doubled this game. its not his best tape but it showcases his versatility.

#80 Harpua, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    FJF likes this.