If Bosa and Allen go 1 - 2?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Who is your third choice

1. Jonah Williams

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Quinnen Williams

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. DK Metcalf

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Ed Oliver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jawaan Taylor

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Brian Burns

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We took a combine warrior at 6 in 2008. If we take another one at 3 this year, oh boy.

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in him, but I can at least see taking him if we trade back to the 10-20 range and he falls. I won't be thrilled, but it is more worth the risk. To take him at 3, to quote you again...oh boy

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mine to. Its part of what made me want to really see what most of the fans thought the third option is.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

What makes this strange is this: the number of teams that really need to draft a QB high is VERY LOW.

You have a bunch of teams with veterans....a bunch more that took QB's in the 1st Round last year.....more that took QB's in the 1st Round in 2017 or 2016 and won't dump them (yet)...and then some stop-gaps (i.e., Jax and Denver).

What is interesting is this: in 2020 or 2021 or maybe 2022...you could have like 10-15 teams that desperately need a QB. You could have a 2 back-to-back drafts where 8-10 QB's are taken very high.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You're joking, right ?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK i think a lot of teams do. the cards for some reason are rumored to take a QB 1st overall. Outside of them the Raiders (4th), Giants (6th), Jax (7th), Den (10th) are all looking at QBs in the top 10. no different from last year where the jets, browns, cards, and bills were all looking at Qbs in the top 10. Mia and Wash can also be looking at Qbs and pick 13th and 15th. so it's possible at least 6 if not 7 teams in the top 15 are vying for QBs and there are 3 as of now considered 1st rounders (compared to 5 last year) with Murray, Haskins, and lock. So the value we can get should be pretty good. I'd expect all 3 of those Qbs to go top 10. if murray goes 1st overall, the cards could trade rosen to the skins or fins for their 1st rounder or even the raiders for 1 of their 4 1st rounders meaning the giants and jags could be vying to move up for haskins. denver may make a move as well to get lock as they are rumored to want him and he likely won't make it past 7 to jax.

in that scenario we could make out like kings

cards draft murray 1st and trade rosen to the raiders
    Jets trade 3rd overall to the giants for the 6th overall, they take haskins, they do this so jax doens't trade up in front of them for haskins
    Jets trade 6th overall to Den who jumps jax to get lock
    Jets have 10th overall pick plus at least 2 2nds this year and maybe a 3rd 3rd rounder plus an extra 2nd next year. Den takes lock
    Jets can select sweat (OLB) or an OT (williams or taylor) at 10 and have another 5 picks for day 2 of the draft for other needs
    Oakland, NYG, Den, and Arizona all get their QBs. Mia, Wash, and jax have to wait another year

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

As much as I like this, if Bosa/Allen is there at 3 (I prefer Allen), I don't really care about trades, we should take them. If they are both gone, I'd hope we could get into this sort of trade down, recoup a ton of picks and become players next year as well, while still getting a top Edge or OL prospect.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

a lot depends who we get in free agency and what kind of trade offers we get. nothing in the draft is guaranteed and the more picks you have the more chances you get to land a stud. we don't know if allen or bosa are the next mack or next gholston. So more picks is always welcome. plus if we land an edge rusher before the draft it takes away the need. plus sliding back a few spots we could get a guy like sweat as well as an extra pick we could use for another hole

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They are waiting on the next 2 years. Teams don't think highly of this QB class.

Harpua likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

For good reason

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. I totally agree with your first paragraph that a lot of teams could (and should) be looking to take a QB in the 1st round this year.

I love your thinking in the trade downs, but I don't think you give the Jets enough in the trade downs. I guess it could be that little, but that would be a steal for the Giants and Broncos. For trading down with the Giants alone, the Jets should get the Giants 2nd and 3rd round pick or 2nd, 4th and 6th, and a pick (1st or 2nd) next year. To drop from 6 to 10 the Jets at a minimum should receive Denver's 2nd and 3rd this year and a 1st or 2nd next year. That should give the Jets 2-second round picks, 4-third round picks or 3-third round picks, two 4th round picks and a 6th round pick, and an extra couple of picks next year.

Where I disagree a little is players you would draft. I wouldn't take Jonah Williams at all. Depending on how players are ranked, I'd take one of Jawaan Taylor, Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, or N'Keal Harry. With all those extra picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, I'd probably go with Burns or Sweat, and look to take two WRs (yes, two), a RB and two OL (preferably an OT and preferably an OG, but if they failed to sign Paradis or Morse, then C would become a priority), and a CB or maybe a TE.

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

thanks!

i'm just working off the value chart but we know it's only a reference and can change depending who's available and who's vying for them and how desperate a team is. it's pretty well known we "overpaid" last year to move up 3 spots by throwing in 3 2nd rounders (1 future 2 current) so my thinking is we could probably get the giants 2nd this year and next but not the 3rd 2nd round pick we gave up. I don't think we will get as much as we gave up to move to 3rd last year. The drop from 6 to 10 though will likely just net us an extra 2nd rounder from denver (1780 to jets 1600 to denver) which seems fair and we can more then likely still land an OT or sweat at 10 so not a bad trade off. that would give us at minimum 2 2nd rounders this year (6th and 10th) plus a 2nd rounder next year. we may be able to squeeze out a 3rd or 4th rounder as well hopefully a 3rd form denver which would also give us 3 3rd round picks this year (ours, saints, broncos) so we would have 5 day 2 picks. of course if big mac can get more that would be great but i wouldn't expect it personally but it could happen.

as far as the draft goes when it comes to OT myself (and pretty much most people) have no good way to scout them. even the pros don't have a lot. they are a tough position to scout so i just picked the consensus top 2 who could be our future LT. so i can understand nto liking both or either of them. just looking at the consensus best lineman in the draft and our desperate need for good o-lineman. no personal preference here form me. Sweat would be a great pick though he blew up the combine and moved himself up form a mid to late 1st rounder to a top 15 pick. the 3rd round has a lot of good "swing" lineman graded as well so could be a great round with the extra picks to get interior lineman (guards/center) but i'll deep dive in more after the free agency period so it'll be more clear what our needs are. I would really like deebo in the 2nd if we can get the giants 2nd round pick. he's a good looking potential slot WR and also returns kicks which would limit our need to bring back roberts who si now 31 and may want a bigger payday then we can offer after making the pro bowl

13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Yep. :)

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

People in love with a DEfensive Tackle (Q Williams) for a change??? There's real hype and fake news

Like how you broke down Taylor vs Burns...to me it's Taylor and damn the torpedoes

I think I would puke if we drafted some DL

15. NYJetsO12

Exactly what Ross Tucker and Coach Charley Weiss were saying 'this week on NFL radio....best scheme fit trumps "talent"

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

He's saying if we are frozen at 3 with no trade partner in the world...sigh.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

whoever chooses Sweat or those 2nd tier players over Jonah Williams is crazy IMO. I like Burns a lot though

#57 101GangGreen101, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  18. NYJetsO12

Remember Fat Boy Lenny W...he was not only BPA but heralded best OVERALL that year?? Yet have yet to see him live up to anything other than sh^t on Sundays

As I've posted before, Mac could join this Board and have no likes..ahahah

19. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Yeah it would, I just want another pro bowl center to protect Darnold. A perfect world involves trading down and taking him later

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I believe our pick is going to be Williams no matter who's there.