Ideal Offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Jan 23, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would certainly have no problems re-signing Whitehead. I agree with you on the importance of the returner job.

Kerley is not listed on the roster. I think I remember that he was released.

2. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I had forgotten about Natson. I agree, let there be a 4-man competition for the job, or if there's someone in the draft or another FA that they like better, bring him in too. I'm sick of all the fair catches and lousy field position because we can't or won't add a quality return man.

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that so many people think that Barkley will be available when we pick at 6.

I'll be very surprised if he gets past Clevelands 2nd pick at 4 - unless someone makes them a stupid offer to move up. Cleveland's new GM wants to make an impact and what better way than taking your pick of the available Q/B's and the best running back.

4. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I hope it falls that way but I doubt Barkley will go #1

5. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Williams and Adams were available at #6 you never know.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-thursday

According to Tony Pauline

Weston Richburg, who was fast becoming one of the top young centers in the NFL before his injury last season, may end up signing with a new team in free agency but may not leave the New York/New Jersey area.

Speculation is New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman will looks to sign Panthers interior lineman Andrew Norwell, a favorite of his in Carolina, during free agency rather than re-sign Richburg.

If this scenario plays out, the New York Jets will make a run at Richburg.

The team wants a long-term upgrade at center and a replacement for veteran guard James Carpenter, who’s in the final year of his contract and has watched his game erode the past few seasons.

Looks like the Jets are looking to heavily upgrade the o-line as they are looking for long term solutions at Richburg and a LG to take Carpenters spot.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Richburg in FA and Quenton Nelson in round 1......our oline will look a whole lot better long term

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

I like this, so long as we end up with a QB like Cousins. If not, I’ll be hard pressed to go Oline when we need to address QB at 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If that happens the Browns will just continue to be a laughing stock. If they have a top pick 2 years in a row and don't get their franchise QB, they are completely stupid and they should immediate fire all staff. They can't possibly pass up on another one without signing Kirk.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

IMO the best FA C prospects are 26 (Ryan Jensen of the Ravens and Weston Richburg of the Giants). The next best C is either Russell Bodine of the Bengals (25) or Travis Swanson of the Lions (26). Brian Schwenke (27) was the Titans backup C. The Redskins former starting C is Spencer Long (27). He was on IR in 2017 and they have 3 other centers on the roster. Long may be available, or they may re-sign him and cut one or two of the others. Luke Bowanko (26) was the Ravens backup C. I have no idea if he would be an upgrade over Wesley Johnson. The only other two potential FA Cs who may be available under the age of 30 are Josh LeRibeus of the Saints (28) and Tim Barnes (29) of the Niners. LeRibeus was the Saints' backup, and Barnes, according to Fox Sports and Our Lads was the Niners backup at C, but neither the Niners, nor ESPN's Niners depth charts even list Barnes, plus I wouldn't want a Center that old.

If the Jets wait, they could and quite possibly will be re-signed by their present teams (if they even hit FA anyway), or will be signed by other teams. With possibly $100 million in cap space, it's not time to go cheap on fixing the OL. I'm not saying that they should go nuts and splurge on older, more expensive players, or pay them ridiculous amounts, but they need to target the best young players available and then pay them market value, plus whatever additional amount they have to get them to come play for the Jets. It would be just like Idzik to try to go "cheap" in FA and then miss out on the players that could fix our OL and wind up having to settle for lesser players or older players at the end of their careers and nothing would be fixed long term. IMO that's the worst possible thing they could in FA.

I like the idea of extending Williams now, and giving a good deal to Enunwa.

IMO there's no way the Browns should or will take Barkley #1 unless Dorsey has had a stroke.

LAJet likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There seems to be quite a few young C's to pick from in FA. If the Jets go this route, they better choose wisely.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Cousins, Richburg (or Jensen), and Nelson would be the foundation of my ideal offseason.
    Re-sign our own, draft well, and take a flier on another QB after round 1 also.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

Sound plan. I’d also go after Allan Robinson as well as a present for Cousins. Dynamite offense that should be able to compete and win in 2018. Having a realistic shot at the playoffs in 2018 has to be the driving force if we are going to sign Kirk to a big money deal.

If the FO opts to draft then the expectations may be tempered a bit. But ultimately we need to get better. No excuse not too as we have too much cap and too many top draft picks to not improve significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that, where Leonard Williams is concerned, Todd Bowles is turning a custom car into a taxicab?

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm almost convinced that if Mayfield is off the table when our bell rings we will not go QB in the first round.
    Further, the Jets choices are either move up to three for Mayfield or sign a decent vet starter and wait our turn.
    My gut goes with the later. Something tells me than neither Darnold not Rosen are going that high, and even the QB starved Jets might shine away from them. It is not at all unlikely that the Browns go Mayfield on the first and piss everyone off.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The two of our free agents that I would prioritize are Demario Davis and Quincy Enuwa. As long as both of them want to be here I think we will get our money;s worth out of both, Mike Pennell should also be a good value for depth as long as he can learn not to make the stupid penalties.

Kony Ealy and Morris Claiborne are good players but depending on their salary demands we may find better players for the same money,

ASJ has already turned down $4 mil. While I want him back I think we have to look at other options including Jimmy Graham if ASJ is going to cost twice as much as our initial offer. Hard to make priorities when we don't know what our new offense will look like,

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. I don't think Graham will come here knowing we are in a rebuild and with his age and injury history I'd stay. I like Trey Burton. Could be cheaper than ASJ and has shown flashes. That Sterling kid looked good against New England. Might have been an outlier but you never know. I'd like ASJ back but for the right price.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jojo Natson, Brisly Estime, Damore'ea Stringfellow, and Lucky Whitehead.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I like Richburg idea, but his injury history scares me a little bit.
    2. Unless Browns have a clear-cut favorite for QB, I think they will pick Saquon Barkley with that #1 pick as well. [He is the consensus #1 RB pick this year. They can pick their QB at #4 anyway, with but two gone from the pack.]

ColoradoContrails likes this.