Ideal Offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Jan 23, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Add up all the posts I gave a "like" to...and there you have it!

Covers all the bases and then some hehehe

Plus I am just toooo tired..

boozer32 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I do not want Cousins. IMO, that move would ultimately land the Jets in that mediocrity cesspool. I want Mac to build a SB winner. Mac needs to Draft and develop a franchise QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

But what if that is not possible? Would you be willing to go another 8 years before drafting a 1st round QB? Wouldn’t you rather have a top 10-15 QB on the team for that duration?

It’ll be very unlikely we get a top 5 QB. Top 10-15 QBs do not hit the open market. IF we are lucky, the drafted QB will pan out into a top 10-15 QB. As you know, we are not lucky.

Why roll the dice when you could have Cousins? It’s the safest bet and it’ll ensure Bowles and Mac aren’t unemployed. Expect them to make a massive push for Cousins.

FJF likes this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The reason Cousins make sense
    The Jets have tried the 2nd round QB route three times now and it hasn’t worked. You want to sign Keenum, Bradford, McCown, Bridgewater? Fine, but I need a first round QB sitting behind them ready to take over when they falter.

Cousins makes sense on many levels:
    #1-Bowles and McCagnan need to win now in order to keep their jobs
    #2-Picking and developing QB’s is not a NYJ core competency
    #3-The Jets have a ton of cap space and nobody currently on the roster to re-sign to a big contract
    #4-In order to secure the Big 3 the Jets will almost certainly have to trade up relinquishing valuable draft assets
    #5-The team is set up to build around Cousins using cap space and three top 50 draft picks

Obiviously drafting and developing a QB is the best long term move for the franchise, but knowing the Jets they will screw it up.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Sign Kirk Cousins - I do not believe in this regime or organization to develop a franchise QB.

Shore up the OL, mainly at LT, LG and C - Beachum and Carpenter could be kept for another season, but Johnson/Harrison are not the answers in the middle and without at least solid C play, your OL will struggle more often than not, especially in the running game. Still, we need depth along the OL behind guys like Beachum and Carpenter.

Find an outside pass rusher
    - Enough interior pass rushers. We've tried that many times and it can only bring you so far. We need that devastating, game changing pass rusher off the edge. Who is it? A rookie? Maybe Ziggy Ansah?

Find a young RB who is more than just a 3rd down back (like McGuire is) - This could be via the draft with someone like Barkley from Penn State or Michel from Georgia, but don't count on someone like Jerick McKinnon from Minnesota, who has always been under utilized and will be a Free Agent at age 25.

Sign Trumaine Johnson - This team is in desperate need of a shutdown CB who can actually stay on the field. Morris Claiborne isn't the answer.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

But a priori your argument is flawed...theoretically Cousins has amassed a ton of stats

But BASED ON OBSERVATION : IS HE REALLY THAT GOOD????

I've posted time and again Cousins only beat the Rams this year...he lost to the Giants..lost a Playoff in 2015..He is nothing great..please

we would have to surround him with MUCH BETTER PLAYERS than ASJ Powell Forte and Probation Boy R Anderson..not exactly what him and his Agent are looking for. ...for him to even consider coming to NY

If Drew Bree's Aaron Rodgers Rivers or Ben/Brady were the QBs Under discussion your argument would hold more water....all can beat GOOD teams..so even then I prefer to draft a kid for my own reasons

As to other points

1 Bowles and Mac can go take a hike...just because they need to win now IS NOT a in the long term interests of Team
    2 Mac not good at picking QBs...lmao dude would HAVE to be blind to miss on this class
    3 Use the cap space on the OL and Edge Rusher., CB ..make sure they are on young side
    4 Relinquish what???? Draft assets of this joke of a team: the Flying Dutchman ???? Draft up with 5 picks like Philly did for Wentz...it will PAY OFF
    5 Build around Cousins...hmmmm let's see if he TRUSTS us to do that..actually he wants to WIN now with a more solid team e.g. Denver..

Just my opinion ...but this is not the direction I would go in

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as Macc doesn't pull an Idzikian fuck up, I'm good.

8. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If I was jets GM my plan would be this

Priority 1 for me is to somehow get Rosen/Darnold.

If that fails then my backup and more realistic plan would be to get Baker Mayfield and sign Jarvis Landry as a safety blanket who is tough as nails and can get YAC, I think that tandem would thrive.

If I went the cousins route I would need to make it a priority to get saquon barkley and load the team up with other offensive weapons including OL. If we go all In like that we better do it right.

Br4d, KurtTheJetsFan, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Could also go the Cousins AND Landry route. The team has more than enough funds.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

My feeling is pick 3 is going to be the hotspot for the 2nd QB selected. Jets should go up for their favorite of who’s left between Darnold, Baker & Rosen.

Too early to tell with FA, as most wont be available but OL, CB, WR should be the FA priorities.

11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

pffffffftt......newb.

FJF likes this.
  12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Pretty good list of moves and I agree with most of them.

I think we need to sign Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry. With Robby Anderson being unreliable and due for a suspension, we cannot put our hopes in him ever getting it together. Both Robinson and Landry are beasts, I'd prefer Robinson, but Landry is a real good slot receiver who can also return punts.

I think the o-line will be shored up through free agency and the draft. Pass rusher is tricky and I would prefer to use the 6th pick (assuming we land cousins) on an EDGE rusher like Chubb.

RB - If we sign the likes of Jerick McKinnon I would imagine that Powell will be cut. I'm not advocating for that but I have a hard time seeing that happen. On the flip side, I'd think that maybe the Jets try to get an RB in the draft

MurrellMartin likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My ideal off-season starts with the Jets playing free agency smartly, looking for bargains after the first wave of hyper-contracts has passed over. Ideally looking at OL, WR, TE and RB for people 26-ish who didn't get the high value deal they were looking for. C would be a priority, maybe via signing a G and converting them or one of the Jets G's to C.

Quincy Enunwa gets a decent deal with protections for him and the Jets in the form of incentives that kick in based on games played and production.

Leonard Williams gets a good deal while the Jets are momentarily in the upper position at the bargaining table. Don't let the negotiations drag out like they did with Wilkerson until the only answer is to pay through the nose or lose the player for a 3rd round comp pick. Williams is a high quality interior player and when the Jets find an edge rusher he'll be a huge (literally) piece of the puzzle.

Draft day comes and the draft falls like this:

1. Browns take Saquon Barkley.
    2. Giants take Sam Darnold.
    3. Colts take Bradley Chubb.
    4. Browns take Josh Allen.
    5. Broncos take Baker Mayfield.
    6. Jets take Josh Rosen.

The Jets also find good value on their 2 second round picks for a change and the offense is remade heading into a critical 2018 season for the current regime.

MoWilkBeast and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I no longer want Rosen or Darnold. With his history of concussions and thin frame, I don't think Rosen will last 3 seasons in the NFL, and maybe not that long. If he doesn't get more concussions, then he will get broken in half. I think it could be two seasons before Darnold is ready to play and could just as easily be a bust. Besides, I don't think the Jets have a realistic chance of trading up for Rosen. Darnold maybe, or he may even fall to #6.

I think the best plan is to focus on Mayfield, who I think would flourish in the Jets' offense, and his leadership and fiery competitive nature will be just what this team needs. There would be no more "quitting" in games by the OC or HC. Landry's a great WR, no doubt, but they have Enunwa and Stewart as slot WRs. They don't really need another. IMO they'd be better served getting a #1 WR (something they don't have) and signing Allen Robinson.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Robinson is 100% gonna get the franchise tag if he doesn’t agree to a new deal before, no way he makes it to FA.

It’s completely pointless discussing FA without the franchise tag in mind, guys like Robinson & Lawrence aren’t going to be FAs.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

For me the ideal off season is as follows:

1. Trade up for Rosen.
    2. Sign a backup QB with potential to start (Foles, Keenum, Bridgewater). Ditch Petty & Hack.
    3. Sign / draft a good center and an OG
    4. Sign a top edge rusher in FA
    5. Sign a top corner in FA
    6. Resign McCown, Enunwa, Claiborne, ASJ, Demario Davis, Cantanzaro, Ealy, Lucky Whitehead
    7. Avoid Cousins / Alex Smith like the plague.
    8. Cut Wilkerson and draft/sign a replacement DE/DT.
    9. Bring in another WR for when Anderson bites the dust.
    10. Draft a running back and more oline.

#36 Sam Hammer, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  17. NCJetsfan

The Jets will have Brisly Estime and Damore'ea Stringfellow back to compete for the Returner job. Just curious...would you still re-sign Whitehead and have a 3-way competition, or just let Estime and Stringfellow battle it out?

18. NCJetsfan

A lot of you guys aren't being very realistic imo with regards to whom the Jets should re-sign of their players who will be FAs. They have 28 players who will be FAs. That's half the team. They also have 17 players who wound up on IR, so that will mitigate some of the losses, but a number of those players who wound up on IR probably won't be back (Forté, Edmond Robinson, Charone Peake, Akeem Judd, Chris Gragg, and Bryson Keeton and Xavier Coleman may not be back as well). Similarly, some of the FAs won't be back, either. I can see Wesley Johnson, Jonotthan Harrison, Chris Gragg, Neal Sterling, Chris King, Tre McBride, Claude Pelon, and Freddie Bishop not being back, and possibly Dakota Dozier, Bruce Carter, Mike Pennel, Doug Middleton, Brent Qvale, Ed Stinson, Terrence Brooks, Julian Stanford, David Bass, and maybe even Morris Claiborne not being back.

Regardless, there are going to be a HUGE number of players the Jets would have to replace if they don't re-sign most of their own FAs, and if they try to replace all of those players, they're not going to have time to try to land big fish like Norwell, Lawrence, Ansah, Johnsons, etc., or they'll spend all their time focusing on those guys, and then wind up missing out on many of their own FAs, and quite possibly wind up with players who are even worse. Hopefully, they've already identified which of their own players they want to keep, and are already at work trying to re-sign those players.

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I feel that Lucky is much better than those 2. It was a shame he got injured, though, so I can see why folks wouldn't want to resign him. I would like a 3 way battle. Return guys are more important than most folks realize. Is Kerley still on the roster? I didn't see him on the list of free agents, but I vaguely remember something about him possibly getting cut after the PED thing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Jojo Natson finished the year as the returner. Estime and Stringfellow will compete as well. Let Whitehead compete too. None of them jump off the sheet as great. Whitehead has the best resume but returners are typically bottom of the roster players that can be cut and someone else can be signed during the year. Think it will be the case again this year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.