Ideal 2019 Draft Scenario

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Mar 1, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I respect your take, but if we do trade down, I wouldn't be opposed to going Edge in round 1. It's deep enough that we can still land a very good player who can elevate the rest of the defense. I'm thinking Ferrell or Burns. Then go WR in round 2 with a recouped 2nd rounder. There should be plenty of good options available when we'd pick. Brown, Samuel, Harmon, and Johnson come to mind. As far as OT goes, isn't next year supposed to have blue chip talent? I can live with Beachum for another year as long as the interior is upgraded.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. I could see trading down & going edge.I like Burns alot & also Sweat.

Still id prefer breaking the cycle of defense early & prioritizing offense .I think some of the edges will get pushed to day 2 where wed be able to use a 3rd on one.Sutton Smith is someone whod be great as a situational pass rusher early whose floor is likely high as a core special teamer.Hes likely there on day 3 just as well.

I think over the next 2 seasons we need 2 OTs & 2 WRs. 2020 draft looks to be rich in both areas but Sam needs help now. Of the 2020 OTs much like this class,some of the top names look like RTs however w much higher ceilings physically.

Right now Greg Little & Yodny Cajuste project as LTs who may just need some refinement which theyd get behind Beachem.I think either would be a nice 2nd round pick in a trade down scenario w a weapon like Harry,Hollywood,Metcalf or Fant in round 1.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I just don't know if it's worth going into day 2 without an upgrade at Edge given that it's a glaring need and has been for over a decade.

Do we really need 2 OT's? With upgrades at LT, C, and OG's, I believe we can live with Shell at RT.

I fully agree about WR. Next year might have the best group since 2014 with Higgins, Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Wallace. Need to grab one of them in addition to one this year.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets draft an OL in round 1 with Maccagnan as GM? Not likely. He has drafted a total of 2 OL in 4 years and both in round 5. OL has and always will be his lowest priority. The lonliest guy on draft day? Whoever is the jets OL coach--his voice means squat to McIdiot.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"He has drafted a total of 2 OL in 4 years"......

this statement is almost unbelievable.

6. I get all the reasonings for going edge..really i do..

But.. J Abe,Ellis,D rob,Gholston, Bryant Thomas,Wilk,Richardson, & LW.. we left everyone of those first rounds thinking we had the pass rush sorted out.And while everyone of those players less Gholston had their moments,the pass rush continues to be an enigma & even at its best has rarely made a winning impact for the jets.

Im just ready to try something different..like actually trying to score points on O.The O is dreadfully bare on long term players after Sam,Herndon & MAYBE Q,RA & Shell. Theres always some Cant miss defensive prospect sitting at the jets pick bc some other team went offense in front of them..when those defensive players fail to make impact & the team continues to be non competitive offensively..it becomes an endless cycle.

We can land acouple decent edge rushers in FA to go along w Jenkins & copeland should he be resigned.Other than Bell & Interior OL there arent many offensive upgrades to be had.

The prospect of having to wait another year for offense to be a priority only for some “cant miss” defensive player to prop up next offseason like always is enough to make one cuckoo.

Id like to break the cycle & score some damn points for once. I cant go into another year knowing we have bottom of the barrel offensive talent esp w Sam now in tow

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If you want to win games, you need a pass rusher to close it out. If you want to give your QB more shots with the ball, you need to get off the field on 3rd down. Typically requires a pass rush.

It's nice to score points and I think the offense needs work, but the Jets need to close out games as well. Too many blown leads.

FJF likes this.
  8. I guess just keep beating the dead horse of the last 17 offseasons.All defense..mainly pass rush..little offense?

I mean thats what all you guys want.”Its important to score points but..” BUT?BUT our offense has been dreadful for nearly a decade.. maybe someday you guys will realize this.

I cant do this anymore.Enjoy going defense at the expense of the offense for the millionth time.Its sad that jet fans have zero regard for offense & are content w unwatchable garbage.Keep on building that inpenetrable defense that even when it performs on rare occassion cant overcome an offense thats lucky to get in the EZ once. I want no part of it.When we go all season w.o a single open drive TD or recreate the butt fumble you can point to discussions like these..and not just this offseason..several before it

#48 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
  9. 101GangGreen101

Balance is the true key component of success in the NFL. What is in the past is in the past, it's about looking at what the team needs now to succeed moving forward. Pass-rush to close out games, offensive line to help the running game and Sam, play-makers to help Sam grow. If the Jets go out in FA and take care of business LIKE THEY SHOULD (get Bell, Paradis, Saffold and lets say Jamison Crowder), then go out in the draft and get Josh Allen / Nick Bosa @ 3 ... how are you going to complain? Get yourself together Kurt. Now is not the time to get emotional.

10. Its hard to take you talking about balance seriously when basically the whole offense needs upgrading & has for a decade yet you want to prioritize one specific position on a defense that has gotten countless prime assets thrown in their direction yet continues to underachieve.

A whole unit<<<one position....??

Before reading on..i want you to acknowledge what im referring to.You can choose to oppose it..but i want an acknowledgement that the O has been an embarassing joke & that its completely correlated w the franchises insistence on trying to draft & win with defense.

It gets emotional when i watch an absolute wretched offense year after year that Plays to their talent level in a scoring league & nobody ever wants to address it in the draft.Ever.

Second tier offensive free agents who may not even come here solely so we can prioritize defense AGAIN in the draft is downright maddening.Its been the MO forever.

If you want prime offensive talent in this league that isnt damaged goods or excessively expensive you have to draft it.Mid round picks have not fit the bill. So i guess just ignore this & keep trying to win with D?Keep drafting D early?

I cant make you guys see the forest through the trees.What boggles my mind is 2 things..

1. Who can stomach watchoingthis offensive product year after year & be completely content w second rate improvements or prioritization?

2.Every season post draft when folks realize the offense is doodoo theres a consensus “next draft is all about offense.They better get some OL & weapons”.Then every February folks buy into the talking heads & all the talk about fixing the O gets swept under the rug.

Are we watching the same unwatchable offense?

11. 101GangGreen101

You can't upgrade the entire offense in 1 season, but you can address key positions that severely under-performed. This is about this regime, and how the Jets can become a better team. What's in the past is in the past, of course there were horrible selections on the defensive side of the ball, but that should not scare one away from taking a good player that can really help the defense at 3, it could make the defense complete. This team has needed a pass-rusher since Abe left town, look at the # of games in which the Jets blew leads late in the fourth because the defense couldn't close out games.

The offense has been an embarrassment, but this previous season, I think the issue was more-so the lack of health for the receivers and really bad play-calling by Bates. Now we add talent to that team with Bell, and the other players I mentioned? Maybe get a Deebo at the top of the 3rd if he is there, you got some really good pieces on O. The offense isn't nearly as far away as people make it out to be.

But hey, if you want to lose games 51-47, be my guest?

12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If Murray goes #1, then that means we have a shot at Bosa or Allen (Williams too, but he's not as highly-rated, IMO).

So take Bosa (unlikely) or Allen (likely).

If the Giants trade the #6 + Odell for the 49'ers #2 overall, then that means Bosa could fall to us at #3.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch Jonah Williams. IMO he's gonna wind up an OG and the top 10 is too high to take him. Also imo the Jets cannot afford to trade up, especially giving up both 3rd round picks (and probably more) to acquire a decent 2nd round pick.
    The only problems with waiting until next year to address the OT position are that one, even if Shell is healthy, we need depth at the OT position this year, and two, perhaps even more importantly, if we have a .500 record or better this year, we won't be in a position to get an elite OT next year unless we trade the ranch to move up. If we can get a developmental prospect like Little or Cajuste in the 2nd round this year and they have a year to develop, add strength and learn the offense, they could (should?) be ready to go next year. Even if we are in a position to get an elite OT in the 2020 draft, there are no guarantees that he would be ready to start day one. If we do draft Little or Cajuste and they prove not to be a starting caliber OT, but a solid backup, we'll already have depth in place, and we could still draft an OT next year and have solid depth.

14. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with you and your posts regarding offense vs. the pass rush, but I do have to disagree with you slightly. I don't think that very many fans left the draft thinking the pass rush was solved after taking D Rob, Bryant Thomas, Wilkerson or Richardson. Only Thomas was an OLB. 3-4 DEs normally aren't primarily responsible for the pass rush like JJ Watt is with the Texans.

While I would love to add N'Keal Harry in the 1st round (assuming the Jets sign Paradis or Morse to start at C and one of Saffold, Sitton or Spain to start at LG), I think I'd be even happier with Brian Burns in the 1st round, one of Hakim Butler, Deebo Samuel, and Kelvin Harmon in the 2nd, Mercole Hardman with one 3rd round pick, adding an OG, a C and a RB (Tony Pollard, Myles Gaskin, or Ryquell Armstead) with the remaining 3rd, 4th & 5th round picks, TE Foster Moreau of LSU in the 6th, whomever in the 7th round. That would significantly upgrade the offense, adding playmaking ability and serious speed, and give a real boost to our return position as both Hardman and Pollard are excellent returners.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The dream scenario is a trade with the Raiders. They get their QB. We get Allen at pick 4 and the Raiders 2nd rounder.

16. NCJetsfan

That would be sweet as long as it also included their 6th round pick. Even sweeter would be trading down again a few spots, getting another 2nd round pick, another 3rd and possibly a 2nd or 3rd next year, then drafting Brian Burns, and strengthening the OL and adding some real weapons for Sam with the 2 second round picks and 3 third round picks.

Noam likes this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Is that trade based on the fear that the Bucs or Giants or Jags jump over them to 3?

That would be awesome but I could see them playing a game of chicken and making us blink.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Yes, Giants, Jags, Broncos, Phins, and Washington. Although Foles, Carr and Rosen could end up on some of the QB needy teams.

19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Drafting an OL on top 10 even if we trade our 3rd pick is not ideal. Too many holes. We do need OL but we can grab one with one of our 3rd round picks.

Ideal for me is to trade down and get a 2nd and 3rd or 4th round picks.

Go get a Edge rusher in rd 1.
    Get a WR in rd 2
    Get a LB/OL/RB in rd 3 picks.