I wonder if Hackenberg or Petty are any good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, Oct 22, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I felt the losing streak would start with the Patriot game for about 3-4 weeks but not so sure now. They have a shot of beating Atlanta at home and possibly the Bills - which would prolong the agony of McCown as the starter.

Just a side note, I live in the Tampa area and just about every week CBS would televise the Miami games here. Well, not this past one with the Jets. Apparently they felt televising the Bears/Carolina game would take in more viewers....real sad.

#41 BomberJet, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If we go 0 and 2 the next two weeks we'll see Petty after the bye. One and one or two and 0 McNown will get a few more weeks. Hackenberg might get a game but I think the ship has sailed. They realized he is bad and I don't think he'll be on the team after preseason next year.

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

They're 3-4 with 3 division losses. They're not going anywhere. Even if Bowles may have deluded himself into believing they were playoff bound, I don't think Bowles can believe that anymore. The one real benefit of this loss is that maybe now they give up on McCown and give Petty or Hack a shot. There is absolutely no reason to play McCown (there was never a really good reason to play McCown). McCown is a journeyman QB who is 38 and has never really been good anywhere. You can make an argument that perhaps starting McCown made sense until Petty and Hack understood the offense - we're nearly halfway through the season so its time to start Petty or Hack and let the chips fall where they may. It is absolutely vital that we figure out whether either of these guys has the potential to be a franchise QB or not. The only way to figure that out is to play them.

4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

McCown is what he is, we all knew that coming into the season. At best he’s a fill-in for a few games. On the Jets, where the coach and GM are on equal footing And the coach is gone without exceeding expectations he will start McCown until the wheels fall off, he gets injured or one of Woody or his brother force him to start Petty or Hack.

Objectively the only game they won that I didn’t think they would is JAX. They’ve played well at times on D and they are developing a solid young core there. That is the positive for the season.

Playing McCown does nothing to help their future but it’s the Jets with dysfunctional ownership and structure. A good owner meets the GM and they decide to start one of the kids and sit McCown. Woody? He’s more worried about fish n chips over seas than who starts.

With the exception of Tampa Any other win this season has to be considered a surprise. Currently only 4 teams have more losses, that should improve during the rest of the season.

The issue is who to take as their franchise QB and is MAC capable of making the correct
    Choice? Darnold hasn’t looked sharp.

#44 No Fly Zone, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The danger here is that by the time Bowles decides to look at his young QB's, the team would have already quit on the season and basically be in it for the game checks just like last year. That almost got Petty killed since they chose not to throw Hack to the wolves. Petty should have started the season if the FO/CS were truly interested in finding out what they had at the QB position on the roster. They chose instead to go the competitive rebuild route one last time in 2017. Who benefits? Bowles of course should he get his extension. Who loses this time? The Kid Qb's rotting away on the bench. What else is new....

grkmanga31 and hwismer like this.
  6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Until Woody or his brother install a traditional pecking order where the coach reports into the GM toilet will continue to start McCown and they won't know anything about either Petty or Hack going into the off-season and the 2018 draft just like last year.

You can't fix stupid and the stupidity starts at the top with Woody and/or his brother.

BomberJet likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I agree that 0-2 should lead to a change in QB over the bye and, based on performance, that should be Petty. I'm skeptical Bowles will make that move though.

I also don't have high hopes for either of them, but it just makes more sense to give them more playing time.

At this point though, it would take nothing short of Petty playing at a consistently very high level, not okay, or decent, to stop the Jets from taking a QB very high in next year's draft. However, at this time, I do think it would be worthwhile to have each on the roster through next offseason without the roster scholarship for the 2018 season

8. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

I doubt that Darnold will even enter the draft next year. I think he stays another year to up his draft stock. He's been very underwhelming this year.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. Cman68

Could be the pressure too. If that's the case, he wouldn't last here very long. Might be the best thing for the kid to do.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is a cunning plan, stink badly this year, the Jets, Browns and Giants grab a QB this year, Darnald has average season next up and is drafted by the cheats in round 6 2019, Bellyache hailed best coach ever, ever, as he transforms young QB and goes on to more glory. rinse and repeat for 10 years :eek::eek::eek:

FML :(

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

No, no they are not

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

McNown has played well and helped make some of these games more competitive than they would have been.

With that said we have ridden a three game skid to a record of 3-5. At some point you have to write off this year and look to develop your QB of the future (or at least his backup).

Two questions for my fellow Jet fans:

1. How many losses until you give Petty the start (at least for a game or two)?

2. How many losses until Bowles finally gives the kid a shot?

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Answering your first question ... I would have started Petty to start the season. To answer your second question ... I bet Petty doesn't start one game this season and I guess that Hackenberg will start the last two.

14. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd make the switch after the Bills game, to give Petty or Hack 10 days.

They'll probably wait two more weeks until the bye. They be 3-7 at that point.

FJF likes this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Obviously McCown is playing on Thursday. At that point the best-case scenario for seeing Petty is for the coaches to realize what is going on, starting preparing him while he watches one more game and then there's the bye. So while I wouldn't object to seeing Petty in two weeks, I don't think there's much of a chance that that will happen, and the earliest is in four weeks.

16. Cman68

Perhaps in Week 12. There's no way Bowles switches QB's as long as his extension is in doubt. What Petty and Hack can and cannot do isn't relevant.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

one more loss ought to do it. unless mccown really lights up the bills it is time t make the switch after thursday night. bowles will probably wait for 2-3 more losses.

18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

If they were any good they would be playing.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Well see Petty after the loss to the Bills.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles doesn't think so, asked after the game Bowles said "I saw our young QB's in the summer. Josh is our QB"

Bowles will only put one of the young guns in there when Josh gets injured, or we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Bowles has shown that he makes personnel decisions late rather than early.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  21. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't agree with it, but I accept that's how it is.:mad:

Cman68 likes this.
  22. Cman68

As if Bowles can recognize QB potential. He was a secondary coach with Zona. If anybody on the Jet CS has a clue about QB's, its not Bowles.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  23. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that a team with a QB injury (Arizona etc.) would give us a draft pick for McNown? He has put on a pretty good showcase this year.