I want Saquon Barkley come 2018's NFL draft.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 11, 2017.

1. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

He was definitely not rigid in his trade downs in the middle of the draft collecting those 6ths. He was not rigid signing a backup tackle, he gets worked over in every negotiation.

#21 QBorbust, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. WhySheldonWhy?

There is a big difference in expected value when trading down from six overall vs trading down in the fifth round.

3. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

It was the 3rd round and he passed up good players to acquire 6th rounders

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Why the hell would Macc trade down during the 2015 draft? He walked away with a 1st round steal in Leonard Williams who's already a Pro-Bowl player and a defensive force for many of more years to come. That's exactly the type of player you draft and then build around with a 1st round draft pick.

Same goes for 2017. You don't "trade down for more picks" when you're sitting @ 6th with Jamal Adams still on the board. An SEC kid out of LSU where all draft experts considered a top 1-5 prospect and player coming out. Every single person had Jamal Adams ranked right up there with Myles Garrett & Leonard Fournette in their top 5's. Some even considered him the best player of 2017's draft.

Draft experts raved about the Jets selection of Leonard Williams. The football world raved of the Jets stealing and getting lucky with Jamal Adams.

Only a damn fool of a GM would pass up and not draft Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams when ripe for the picking and still sitting there and waiting for you @ 6th overall.

I'd much rather have Jamal Adams. You can keep the "Chiefs" middle of the pack 2018 draft pick (16th-19th etc). And I'll keep Jamal Adams.

And I'm loving Leonard Williams. What. You're not?

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Oh hell no!! You're NOT switching this on me!

YOU ARE the one with baseless speculation; YOU defend your words.

ajax and FJF like this.
  6. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

Obviously from your name you're in love with all these pics, how many championships has our defense won us? It's great that we got Leo, no doubt, but at the time it was an obvious trade down situation we had the 3-4 defense of end locked down and I would contend that as much as Leo is probably our best player right now taking him made one of our best players redundant and forced our genius coach to play him out of position. You're super drinking the Kool-Aid on Jamall Adams I hope that he's good but you do not take a strong safety in the top 10 of the NFL draft. Defenses no longer win championships, offenses win championships it's just the way that the NFL rules are set up. I would much rather have a number one cornerer and the Chiefs first round pick next year.

#26 QBorbust, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Will you still think the same if Adams is a perennial All Pro and HOF inductee? He has that level of talent, character and leadership.

8. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

Honestly I hope he is but how could you possibly tell that about a college safety on a dominant team where he can just roam free? He looks good but he looks like an undersized LB to me, we already have a good run defense and stopping the run is not as valuable as it once was. There are very rarely safeties taken in the top 10.

In the end I just disagree with the pick. I'd rather we try and build an all-around team instead of just trying to build this perfect defense with all first round picks at every position. Sure you get the rare dominant defense in the NFL that is able to win a Super Bowl but for the most part it's an offensive league, The team that scores more points wins.

9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This pick and the Leo pick had nothing to do with wanting to build a super defense. They were just the clear cut top talents available. If you want to take issue with the Maye pick I can maybe understand that but the clearest path to mediocrity is to reach for talent.

Or maybe if you want to make the argument that Mac should have traded down... But who is to say that there was a tenable deal on the table.

There was no offensive player that made sense to take over Adams. We should, barring injury, enjoy watching Adams play S at an extremely high level for the next 5+ years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

even though i had a man crush on howard, adams on the 6 was a good, coma style pick. any shmuck could have pulled the lever.
    though what i would have done after is went back in after howard, willing to pay up to get him at 12/13 or wherever.

adams and howard were considered by far the best at their position so coming out of the draft with BOTH talents would have been awesome - even at the expense of giving up 2 or 3 picks in the process.

FJF likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Not to mention, it looks as if a strong breeze could knock him over.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Holy run-on sentence.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, as I think Howard would've been an excellent pick. I would've liked to go up and get him, but Adams/Howard reminds me for some reason of Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow Jr.

They were both incredible prospects and before his sad passing away, Sean Taylor was on his way to a potential Hall of Fame career. Kellen Winslow ended up being an OK player. I see the same for Adams, and perhaps the same for OJ Howard.

Odd comparison I suppose, but I think we took the correct player.

14. NCJetsfan

I loved Howard as a prospect as well, but trading up for him would have been a horrible idea imo. With all the holes/needs the Jets have and with the lack of depth, the last thing the Jets could afford to do was to burn picks trading up. To move up that high, the Jets would probably have had to trade next year's first plus their second and maybe 3rd this year. I'm sorry, but that would have been pure lunacy. I'd pay that price to move up for a QB, LT or edge rusher, but sure as heck wouldn't for a TE. I'm glad that Mac didn't make that move.

I think we now have a TE in ASJ who is and will be better than Howard, and Leggett has potential as well.

15. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Barkley is a phenomenal talent, but I'm afraid to take a Penn St RB in the first round.

16. NCJetsfan

Unless Hack or Petty prove that he is the Jets' FQB this season, Dylan Donohue is the 2nd coming of Clay Matthews, and Beachum has a Pro Bowl year and looks like he could play 5 more years, the Jets shouldn't even consider a RB at the top of the 1st round. If they were going to do that, this year's draft and Fournette were the way to go. The first round pick in 2018 has got to be a QB, LT, edge rusher (OLB or DE if they switch to a 4-3), a #1 WR prospect or a CB.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Back in June i created this thread and here in October i love this kid even more. Everyone during the off-season talked up QB's like Darnold, Rosen and Allen (and rightfully so) but it's Saquon Barkley who's the best player in college football. And imo it's not even close.

For crying out loud he's 230lbs & ran a 4.30 40 at PSU's pro day last spring in other words he's as strong as Adrian Peterson & as shifty and elusive as LeSean McCoy. Scary.

None of these QB's are a sure thing but this Saquon talent is a can't miss as I've ever seen one.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Bo Jackson, DWC

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We are probably winning our way out of position for Barkley too. This kid could go as high as 2 come April and it would be a great selection, even 1 overall, he is that good.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Completely disagree with this, Barkley is on another level from Fournette as far as prospects go. The only two I’d take over him would be Darnold and Rosen.