I think I really want Amari Cooper

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BleedGreen89, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I know I've been a HUGE draft MM guy...but the odds of Tampa or Tennessee picking him are pretty good, and I dont think its worth the cost of trading up. We should get Griffin, Bradford, or Hoyer...and draft Cooper. I've seen enough of Bama's games this season to know he's a sure thing. The dude just demands the ball

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd love Cooper on this team.

As someone who doesnt want Mariota or Winston in round 1, I think Cooper is probably my top choice as well. As of right now, I'd like Andrus Peat too, but a group of Decker/Cooper/Harvin/Amaro/Ivory is a great group of offensive players.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Cooper is one of the only virtually "can't miss" prospects this season. My only concern is a few of his accruing injuries over his time in college.

Assuming we get a vet Qb in free agency along with a starting guard and CB, I would love to draft Cooper. I'd still pick Mariota over him, though.

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Either Mariota, Winston, or Cooper would be fine by me. I know some people have concerns with Winston (mostly some of the off field stuff), but the kid has legit NFL talent. I like him more than Mariota to be honest.

I also like Sam Bradford for a vet QB. The guy has been unlucky with injuries, but I actually think he still has the ability to be a top 15 starting QB in this league. Griffin would cost a pick, and Hoyer is a backup and nothing special.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

RG3 could be cut if no one trades for him. That would put Washington in the market. Would they possibly trade up again for a QB?

6. Jets4eva9011

Hell no, lol. The RG3 trade-up backfired on them big time, and I can't seem trading up again for a QB anytime soon. Then again, this is the Redskins you're talking about.

Vida likes this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

RG3 isn't going anywhere

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Ive warmed up to drafting MM over the last few weeks but there is no one i want more than Cooper. He has the makings of a future star. Hes an unbelievably polished WR already. He has speed and agility. His route running is 2nd to none. He would instantly make our offense better. I want a QB but I can wait a year for a better class if it means we have Amari Cooper.

9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I kinda don't want a QB anymore (disregard the avi)

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Jags i think would take Cooper for Bortles too

Raiders for Carr would take Cooper

Titans need help everywhere

Tampa wants a QB

Jets want a QB or Coop

11. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Teams that can afford this kind of luxury pick should take Cooper. I will never understand wanting a WR with a high pick when you still need a QB, OL, and a pass rush. You better be sure you're going to fix those other deficiencies if you're going to make that bold move. I think it's a mistake. Not the player but the position, especially when you don't have to invest a lot in your picks anymore and can afford to gamble on a high end QB, OLB, or OT.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Jags taking Cooper makes no sense. They just drafted two receivers and are getting Blackmon back next year. They have so many needs and receiver is not one.

13. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

WR is not a luxury pick.

There's really no need to burn a top 5 pick on an offensive lineman.

14. Jets4eva9011

This.

If anything, try to improve the CB and O-line situations in free agency.

15. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I didn't wise up to this POV until recently.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

In this era, the way the game is played now? WR is not a luxury pick.

Odell Beckham Jr. was my top wanted Jet before the draft last year. Pryor was my #2 (sad face).

I have to see who the new head coach is first. Then I need to see what happens in free agency. THEN I will be able to determine if Cooper should be the pick. Right now, sure, he is a possibility for the Jets.

Like pitching in baseball, I believe you can never have enough good defensive linemen. After QBs, I consider defensive linemen to be the most important players. I liked when the Giants took JPP. Most on this forum laughed at the Giants. I loved the Sheldon Richardson pick. Most Jets fans panned the pick when it was made.

Depending on the coaching changes, the Jets could easily switch to a 4-3 base. Maybe the new head coach won't like Coples. Maybe he will decide Shawn Oakman or Randy Gregory would be a great end for the Jets. Maybe the new coach will prefer a 3-4 base and decide Shane Ray could take over for Calvin Pace.

In other words, it is too early to zero in on one particular player. I like Cooper a lot but I also love Rashad Greene. Greene should be available for the Jets in the second round. With Decker and Kerley signed long term, if Harvin is brought back (I am undecided if he should be brought back; but, again, the new coaching staff plays into it), then the Jets might want to focus on other positions for the first round.

Also, I am all for the Jets making a run at Sam Bradford.

Brook! likes this.
  17. MikeSLTJ23

WR has been and always will be a luxury pick. In today's NFL with 5 WR sets, you should be able to find an open guy at all times even if it's a bunch of JAGs, IF and ONLY IF you have a good QB and the time to throw. Having a good QB is paramount to all other positions, and to think otherwise is crazy. If you don't think that Mariota or Winston is the answer, that's fine. I'm not sold necessarily either. But if I'm picking in the top 5 and I think one of them could be the answer, I take them every single time. A QB transforms a franchise. A WR does not. And a WR is not a QB's best friend. The OL is. Give him more time to throw, and he'll be a lot better. Your average WRs will also have more time to get open. The next position you need? OLB or DE for the pass rush. If you can disrupt a QB's timing, it changes the whole flow of the game. Look at all those games where Brady would come in against a Jets team that wasn't all that great, but the defense knew how to push his buttons. We were able to pull away with more wins than we should have with those teams. I really do think the rest of the positions, even the high profile ones like WR and RB, are much less important. I'd love to have Amari Cooper...but not at the expense of a potential franchise QB, a lockdown OT, or an unstoppable OLB, when we really have none of those things.

GangGreenBlues and Brook! like this.
  18. MikeSLTJ23

Odell's played great for the Giants, but what has that done for them? That's why I consider it a luxury pick. QB, OL, and pass rush...that's the recipe for success, and we have very few pieces in those departments that have any value.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It is a good point about Beckham with the Giants, although no single player was going to fix that team this year. I predicted the Giants to go 3-13 this season and finish with the 31st best record. I only had the Raiders as being more inept.

I would have agreed with the luxury aspect of WRs maybe a year ago and for all other years in NFL history. I'm not sure about that position anymore. I look at teams like the 2013 Jets and 2014 Chiefs as examples of teams in this very new pass crazed NFL (one could argue 2012 or 2013 was the start of the era with the concussion concerns and some of the rules that have been altered or created) that were overall mediocre but had major flaws at the WR position. I understand Dwayne Bowe is alright for K.C. in 2014 and Jeremy Kerley was serviceable in 2013 but those two teams in particular were quite deficient at the WR spot compared to the rest of the league.

I want the Jets to give serious consideration to Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota because the QB position is so very critical. I always want the Jets to consider defensive linemen. Because the Jets have a good LT and C, they need not take an offensive lineman in round 1. However, I suppose they could look at tackle and maybe move Breno Giacomini inside to right guard. Maybe he could go inside, maybe he cannot. It is worth consideration.

If Amari Cooper is available, then the Jets should consider selecting him. I see him more in the mold of a Grade A possession receiver like Al Toon and Larry Fitzgerald. I don't view Cooper as an explosive receiver. If Cooper is the next Fitzgerald, then he is certainly worth taking in the top 10. Anyway, that's my opinion. Maybe someone else here thinks Cooper is more like Dez Bryant or A.J. Green.

20. MikeSLTJ23

I guess my point is that Fitz, Dez, and AJ Green haven't won anything. Neither have Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones. My argument doesn't hold a ton of weight because who outside of the Mannings have won Super Bowls from the top of the draft (not many). But I look at it this way...generally speaking, if I have a guy like a Rodgers or Peyton throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs every week, that increases my chances of winning a lot more than Julio Jones last night going for 250 and a TD. The Chiefs are winning games and their WRs have scored exactly 0 TDs on the season. Hell, they've COMBINED for just over 1,000 yards going into last week's game! But they find ways to win. I'm not saying that's the way of the NFL, because Alex Smith makes Chad Pennington look like Brett Favre slinging the ball. But Smith was the best QB available for the Chiefs, and he's making it work for them, because that's a damn good OL and they've got a damn good pass rush. Throw on top that Andy Reid knows how to get the best out of Smith, and it's a recipe for at least solid success. If you threw an elite QB on that team, the Chiefs would be scary, even with Bowe and Avery at WR. I guess I can't ignore what Charles does for them either haha.

A bit of a ramble, but I guess my mantra is that the QB is the most important position on the field ten-fold. And BECAUSE of that, the guys who directly affect him make the biggest impacts outside of him. That's why to me, protecting him on offense, and disrupting him on defense are the key. Having an awesome WR, and an awesome secondary are exactly that to me, secondary. They directly affect the QB, but there's so many options to throw, that I don't think you truly need that elite WR. Give him time and he'll find the open guy. It helps, but I think those other pieces are more important.

All my arguments to get a QB are pointless if we don't get a guy in here that can be our QB whisperer. I want one of our coaches to at some point in my lifetime bring out improvement in one of our players haha.

Brook! likes this.