I Hope Last Night Accomplished 1 Thing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by milcus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Even a standard ground and pound has passing plays esp when they have backup cornerbacks (like ours). A conservative passing game to compliment the run and keep them honest. The only reason Rex is being questioned: it was extreme and became so predictable they were able to easily stop it. A good running game usually tires out D-linemen later in the game. But not when they stack the box and know you're going to run.

2. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

No doubt it was extreme. But I think most of it was a big F-U to Idzik. Rex doesnt want Geno starting at all. If he could've threw the ball 0 times I think he would have.

All around its just a bad situation. But Rex knows he's done. And because of that he is going out on his terms to pretty much show the rest of the league even though he holds little power in this organization , he still holds all the power on the field.

I wouldnt be shocked if Geno throws it less than 15 times again this Sunday.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Rex but I don't think he's that self destructive. If he is trying to tank games to get back at Idzik it's only going to come back and bite him in the ass. Who would want to hire him. Plus I don't think he's the kind of guy who'd pull that kind of crap. He has too much respect for the game.Some reporters claimed it was really his idea to start Geno. But that's debatable. One thing I've noticed, though. He never mentions Idzik. He talks about his responsibility to Woody but not Idzik.

4. irishwhip03

I dont think Rex is trying to tank. Coaches and players want to win no matter what the record is. But he also wont be judged on his final games here when going for another job. Any outsider can see that the GM and QB are the problem with this franchise. Rex could walk into any DC job he wants after this season and most likely will get a few head coaching offers too.

And I dont think Rex wants to bash anyone in the media. It wouldn't shock me if he's gone after Idzik in private though. After Monday's game it would be shocking if they didnt have some words cause both guys have legitimate gripes at this point of the season.

Once they are both fired its open season though. I fully expect Rex to be unleashed.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He has too much respect for the game but if other teams see that he can win the game without a quarterback, how is that not somewhat impressive? Monday was a clear indicator that he wanted to give Idzik a big f-u. If you don't believe me listen to the last 3o seconds of his press conference. Complete low blow at idzijk for the lack of talent.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't see how Monday night was Idzik's fault. It seemed like both Rex and Marty were all on board to start Geno in 2014 after he had a decent final 4 games last season and the team was 8-8. And as for this year. Geno was benched wasn't he? And as to who decided to start him on Monday night. Well do you think all head coaches make that call strictly on their own. Esp after Vick pulled a no show against Buff. When asked who he was going to start at Qb the other day Mike Pettine said he was first going to consult with his GM.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

He rode that lack of talent to a ton of rushing yards. Very roundabout way to bash Idzik, by showcasing
    CJ2k, an Idzik signing
    Ivory, an Idzik trade

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

There's nothing "revisionist" about pointing out the fact that defending Super Bowl champion had the highest run/pass ratio in the league last year.

Pavelboca likes this.
  9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This offense is, and has been for years, a complete JOKE.
    Put any other offense in the league on the field down by only 3, with these passing rules, 4 downs to work with, two timeouts, and 2:00 on the clock and you would expect them not only tie the game, but to have a great chance of winning it. That is not a game you lose in regulation if you have any competency on offense whatsoever.
    Look around the league. The ONLY way you don't win or tie a game like that in 2014 is if you turn it over. And there you go.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yep, and we own 2 of those losses.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Its not 1985, even if you ran it 49 times, how about some play action...bye Rex

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ground and Pound has always worked in the NFL as long as the QB is able to keep the defense honest. That game only showed me that we don't have a QB, we win that game very easily with a somewhat accurate QB.

The airing out teams hasn't been so hot either in the championship department getting grounded by that type of philosophy.

The thread actually makes less sense in that we should have beaten a team that has a lot more talent then we do and that was due to that gameplan

13. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Agreed 100%. A run heavy offense works. But you still need a good QB.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

With an opportunity to hit a wide open Percy Harvin on Monday Night, Geno missed terribly.

That is the dagger of Ground n' Pound. Pennington was a master at it. Run, run, run, run, run, PA pass dagger. The whole defense bites for the run and you go over the top. Pennington, P. Manning masters of the PA pass. Sell that fake, make the ball disappear for a min. Pennington use to turn his entire back to the defense for a 1-1000 count.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

what gripe does idzik have? he put together this shit roster has rex done a stellar job no but he has done about as well as he could with the roster

16. irishwhip03

The only gripe that he has is Rex's handling of Geno.

17. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

It certainly is revisionist to imply that the Jets had great success with the Rex version of the ground & pound offense. And it is quite disingenuous to suggest that the '09-'10 offense the Jets ran is any where close to the type of offense Seattle runs.

No one denies the value of a running game and a great defense. But you'd better be able to throw the ball down field for sustained success.

18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This pretty much says it all about our offense under Rex. This, and the 2011 Christmas Eve Giants game, where we abandoned the run, even when it was obvious that we could drive effectively on the Giants, and dropped back a staggering total of 60 times, playing right into the Giants strength and effectively giving them the game.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It was not that they are generally unwilling to change the game plan. It was that they did not have faith in their awful Qb to throw the ball effectively.

Next!

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If you really want to tank these games, just put the ball in Smith's hands and watch him score points for the other team.

Next!