I have diabetes.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Thnx you!

2. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Defense I don't know how I missed this up until now but I just wanted to say as a diabetic for the last 30 years I've learned to embrace it and not to allow it control my life but rather just accept it's part of who I am. I inject 4 times a day and test my sugars regularly and I'm not bothered abut where I do that. If I have to shoot up insulin in public so be it, if I have to prick my finger in public I'm not apologising for it and I'm not running off to hide in a toilet to do what I need to do to keep myself alive. Trust me embrace it and make it part of you rather then you making yourself part of it (if that makes sense). Best of luck with it, you will be fine.
    On another note the one thing that surprised me when I was in Florida a few years back was the price of diabetic related medication, it was crazy. We are lucky here in Ireland as it is all covered on the national health care plan but while over I ran out of test strips as I was testing a lot more then normal due to heat etc, so I went into buy some. Of course your equipment is different to ours so I ended up having to buy a glucometer and test strips, $110 if I rememer correctly. The only thing we have to buy here is a glucometer and you would get an excellent one for €20.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Thank you so much man. And yes, diabetes was a blessing for me and one of the best things that's happened to me. It saved my life.

Since being diagnosed last year I've completely changed the foods I eat, i watch my sugars and carbs have not touched a bite of fast foods, me my wife and daughter either go swimming or bike rides every single day (my biggest supporters), I play basketball 3x per week, I joined a fitness center and work out 45 mins to an hour 5x per week and best of all my blood sugar has never been 448 again (will never forget that number) but instead always 115-128 ranges. I literally live on water too. Since last year have not had a sip of soda, Arizona iced teas or even a drop of Gatorade. Water is now the only liquid I digest into my body.

I thought at first it were a death sentence but I've realized it's saved my life. And I appreciate so much more about life just the little things I overlooked are now priceless to me.

I'm not scared anymore. I don't feel like a victim anymore. No longer am i depressed about it. That hospital bed and my daughter/wife will always and forever be my life motivation.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. People like you still going 30+ years strong with it is so encouraging you have no idea how big of an inspiration to me.

But yea I now have great health insurance now too (never ever had it before). Florida Blue and Aetna. Full coverage and most expensive plan for both (I was paranoid at the time of leaving hospital). It does cost me $80 per week ($320 per month) but I clear almost 2k every week ($1800) which is pretty good in Florida with cost of living so much less expensive compared to NYC so it's a small price to pay for a good cause (my life).

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

DWC, way back in your rap video days you looked like a small, fit guy. Just curious if you packed on a bunch of weight since then, or if this is strictly genetic?

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well in my case it's not genetic at all. My mom, dad, grandparents (both sides), uncles, aunt's, cousins, brother, sisters etc no one in my family has ever had it. My daughter and all my nephew's and nieces have recently been checked and thankfully, nothing. It was a shocker to us all and something we had to learn about from scratch.

But to answer your question, na. I'm not and never been overweight. I'm 175-180. Been this weight since my 20s. It's just all the fast foods. But mainly sodas, sugars and sweets I was digesting into my body. It caught up to me. You see. Diabetes is not just a "fat person" disease it affects all walks of human life regardless of age, race, weight or physical appearance. Even some animals.

Now. I like to look at the human body as a car. Give it bad fluids. Don't change the oil or as they say put sugar in it's tank... After a certain amount of time, like our bodies... It'll break down man. Then you need a mechanic aka diabetic medicine (and/or unfortunately, more).

Hope I answered well enough.

playtowinthegame and Dierking like this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Surprising you didn't get heavy eating all that junk, but I guess you metabolize well when you're young.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea and I've always been pretty active. Especially since having my daughter 7 years ago. Theme parks. Chuck E Cheese. Regular parks. Walking the malls with her etc etc always something I play harder than her most the times ahhh and this Florida heat is probably a big reason why I was able to sweat a lot of the stuff I was eating out (although not enough).

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

why is this pinned? the whole thread is one guy talking about himself

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

DWC shared a life changing experience and he started to thread to be able to make some posters to think about checking their blood sugar. Cman60 thought pinning this would benefit people. If this thread makes even 1 person do a blood check we can consider it a win.

10. Charlie Kelly

and now it is an ego boost for a guy that makes 10 paragraph posts like he's making a fart. at some point you have to stop enabling that stuff

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Charlie. I don’t think we are enabling him. We try not to ban anybody unless they are doing something extremely wrong. In the case of Mainejet he was tolerated until he made the racist comment. We are only a few members here. If you see a post that is over the board please report.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

DWC Is winning his battles..

Kudos to him :)

Don't forget ...Tech is on your side.So just show up vertical every day and you will be fine..

13. Charlie Kelly

i have said my piece, won't come back to this thread. just dumb that a guy that has been banned here multiple times gets an ego thread pinned but hey whatever. have a nice day.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This isn't an ego thread. Its a thread about a very real threat to everyone. In that case, we will always side with the value of the thread instead of the poster.

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not for nothing, but "lactose free milk" was an advertising ruse that generally still gets ignored. Lactaid got sanctioned and had to start listing lactase on the label. The lactose isn't removed. Lactase is added in copious amounts to the milk, so now lactase is required to be on the ingredient list of all "lactose free milk" (including store brands). This includes ice-cream. It does cut down on the milk sugar, though. Hope you're doing well.

16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I have a terminal disease, I'm in total kidney failure and struggle with it every day. Have to watch my diet, etc, etc and rely on a machine to keep me alive.
    Admitting this doesnt boost my ego. Dont get why anyone who thinks this is a ego boost would open the thread.

Count your lucky stars, that should be your ego boost.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Damn LF you're one of my favorite posters and I don't know how I missed it, but I did. I had no idea. Are you in line for a kidney transplant bro? Man. Stay strong. Keep faith. And keep on fighting the good fight

LF911SC likes this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Thanks brother, appreciate it.

Had the ultimate good luck in also having had to fight cancer. Beat that horror down but have to be cancer free for a few years before being allowed to get a transplant. If the cancer were to come back while on immune suppression drugs that you load up on as long as you have that transplant there is no way for the body to fight off the cancer and it would be able to run rampant. I'll get one, fortunately im in great shape other than my kidney failure so im the ideal candidate for a transplant.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm very sorry to hear that. You should PM @KurtTheJetsFan. Much luck to you.

That being said, I'm sick of this guy's user name. It's way too long along with his gratuitous posts. Change it and shorten it to DWD for DefenseWinsDiabetes. Thanks in advance.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok man just keep fighting hard we all only have one life to live and unfortunately quitting even though would be easy is never an option. You're in my thoughts keep us updated on progression moving forward. You got this as you can see you're a fighter and no fight will ever be too big for you to whoop!!

LF911SC likes this.