I have diabetes. I hope my story can save someone's life or spread awareness.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

DefenseWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Thnx you!

2. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Active Member

Defense I don't know how I missed this up until now but I just wanted to say as a diabetic for the last 30 years I've learned to embrace it and not to allow it control my life but rather just accept it's part of who I am. I inject 4 times a day and test my sugars regularly and I'm not bothered abut where I do that. If I have to shoot up insulin in public so be it, if I have to prick my finger in public I'm not apologising for it and I'm not running off to hide in a toilet to do what I need to do to keep myself alive. Trust me embrace it and make it part of you rather then you making yourself part of it (if that makes sense). Best of luck with it, you will be fine.
    On another note the one thing that surprised me when I was in Florida a few years back was the price of diabetic related medication, it was crazy. We are lucky here in Ireland as it is all covered on the national health care plan but while over I ran out of test strips as I was testing a lot more then normal due to heat etc, so I went into buy some. Of course your equipment is different to ours so I ended up having to buy a glucometer and test strips, $110 if I rememer correctly. The only thing we have to buy here is a glucometer and you would get an excellent one for €20.