I Have A Dream, (that Eric Smith will no longer be our starting safety)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 29, 2012.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is he on the bench?

Please discuss your top choice/s for turning my dream into a reality this offseason. Or discuss the nightmare that is/was/and will be Eric Smith's "coverage abilities", "contain abilities", and "any other abilities."

Eric Smith defenders or even Tebow forbid Eric Smith supporters, you are lukewarmly welcomed in this thread. Just please know that we're not here seeking conversion or redemption. We've bitten the apple and it would be unthinkable to turn back now. Eric Smith makes our eyes weep tears of blood. Weekly. No mas. Gracias.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

IMO anyone but Eric Smith. Start Wayne Hunter at FS.

3. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

question:

why the Martin Luther King reference in the thread title when discussing our black safety eric smith

why couldn't it have been a reference to a famous white person incorporated into a quirky thread title about our black safety eric smith

r u racist bro

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Haters gon' hate.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am hoping that we might get O.J. Atogwe from the Redskins (though I wouldnt like to go through a season relying on him and Landry staying healthy all season and so I expect us to take a safety in round 3

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I'm hoping for:
    Signing Atogwe
    Signing Leonhard
    Keeping a lookout for any Safety cap casualties
    Drafting a safety but not in the first three rounds
    AND
    Signing a few safety UDFA's

7. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Atogwe NEEDS to be signed. bring back jimmy and draft a SS in the 7th.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good grief you people can be annoying. Eric Smith isn't that bad, I'm glad hes on the Jets.

Hell exactly a year ago Smith was praised as being a hero in the NE playoff game for his fine work back there.

He had a tough year, but he played hurt and overall he's not the greatest..Could the Jets use an upgrade? Sure, but you could say that about many, many positions after last season (QB included).

The Jets better not waste their no.16 pick by reaching on a safety.. I would be furious. Get some offensive line, or a pass rusher to help Smith / Landry out.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

None of those options are an upgrade over Eric Smith. Atogwe sucks, Jimmy is too small unfortunately and a 7th is training camp fodder.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

To be fair to old black-ass, the lack of any sort of pass-rush meant that the opposing QB had time to pick out wide-open TE's who promptly went and torched Eric.

Having said that, he hardly put up a good fight. If we are going to keep him, keep him on special teams where he belongs. If Eric/VD/Hunter are starting in Week 1 then we are right-royally fucked.

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Sounds like youre going with the "throw enough shit against the wall" method to try to find a safety.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I will only add that those choosing to focus solely on E Smith show a lack of understanding of the game of football. The problems the Jets had last year covering TE's were not all on one safety. The Jet LB's are as a group slow, and they have primary responsibility for covering the middle of the field. The lack of a pass rush makes it overall more difficult for the entire secondary. The fact that the Jets have Cro and Revis makes it inevitable that the opposing team will challenge the Jet D in the middle of the coverage.

Learn the game.

13. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Getting Laron Landry to a contract was the first step. Resigning Leonard and maybe a safety in the third can make your dream a reality

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It is a virtual certainty that Smith will be on the roster come opening day. The Jets may or may not get another safety to start over him on the depth chart. What happens with Leonhard is unclear at this point.

If the Jets at that point have two safeties better than Smith to start, they will, and he will be a backup. If they don't, Smith will start.

But whoever the safeties are, if the Jets do not get more of a pass rush and better coverage by the LB's, whoever is the safety will struggle against qualtiy TE's.

15. OldTimer

OldTimer New Member

It's a serious problem. With what is available to us i thini tha best way to improve our safety dilema is to improve our DL / OLB situation. Im hoping that Maybin puts on some muscle weight and it doesnt affect his speed very much. We almost have to use 16 on the best available rusher. We need to look very aggressively at pre season safety cuts. Should we sign Leonard for a year. Next years safety draft should have some depth. Does Shaun Ellis have one more year in him. IDK. We are in a pretty serious predicament.

16. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Eric Smith is a solid ST player and thats about it. He made some big playes on the field on punt return and coverage and all of the sudden hes our starter.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Smith is nowhere near as bad as people here say he is. Top 5 pass D 3 straight years with him receiving major reps, zero passrush.

18. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Good tackler awful in coverage.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

While Smith is a liability at times, he can be good used situationally. He is a sure tackler, and isn't afraid to take on a ball carrier or blocker. He also adjusts all the ST blocking on punts. While initially I was on the cut Eric Smith bandwagon, cooling down and looking at it objectively, I want to keep him. I would be slight upset if he is the full time starter just because I don't think his strength is there.

Also, can someone else confirm this, but I think on 3rd and longs, we brought him in a LB position since if something underneath was caught, he is a good tackler and instills some fear to anyone going across the middle.

20. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I think we'll go safety after our first 2 picks. And bring back Jim.